Author Topic: Daniel Connors [merged]  (Read 52904 times)

Jackstar is back again

Re: Where has Dan Connors gone? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
WHERE HAS DAN CONNORS GONE?

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
August 10, 2011

Just like Brad Ottens spend four months on the sidelines due to a two-to-three-week injury, Dan Connors is a perennial on the Richmond injury list with a seemingly minor calf strain.

As it turns out Connors had tendon problems in one calf, then finally returned and had the same issue on the other side.

He would be mighty handy right now with the club's defensive issues.

Captain Chris Newman might seem a lost cause this year with a PCL injury to his knee, but the club is keen to get him back playing in the last round or two.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/who-your-club-could-poach-under-free-agency/story-fn6cisdj-1226111932297

Ralphy, ring missing persons

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Final chance for Daniel Connors - says he's learnt from his mistakes (H-Sun)
« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
Final chance for troubled Richmond midfielder Daniel Connors

by: Mark Robinson
    January 30, 2012

TROUBLED Tiger Daniel Connors has returned to the club after a 12-week suspension, imposed when he was told to "fix your life" after socially unacceptable behaviour.

Richmond's problem child was suspended from the club in October and told to deal with lifestyle issues.

He sought professional help for alcohol-related behaviour and what he termed as "bad decisions" he made while drinking.

The club was forced to act during trade week, suspending him indefinitely at a meeting between coach Damien Hardwick and football boss Craig Cameron at Connors' Northcote home.

He received daily counselling throughout October, and counselling is continuing.

Connors missed the team's training camp in Arizona in November, and the club conceded the 23-year-old was dealing with "personal issues".

Connors told the Herald Sun: "The club told me I needed to go and change the way I was living my life.

"I went away and spoke to a few different people and I continue to work on those issues.

"I don't want to go into specifics, but a lot of the time, my alcohol issues led me to make bad decisions which have got me into hot water in the past and it's still getting me."

It was the second club ban for Connors within 18 months.

The problem drinker was given an eight-week suspension in 2010 after a one-punch incident with former teammate Ben Cousins after a boozy night in Sydney.

This time, he was told he had lost the respect of the coach and his teammates.

Connors acknowledged another social misadventure would see his career terminated.

"If I get banned again, I get banned forever," he said.

Connors played just three games in 2011 because of a on-going leg injury, which he says sent him spiralling out of control at season's end.

Tigers football boss Craig Cameron said Connors had to tell the club what steps he had put in place before he could return to the club.

Connors spoke individually to the leadership group, starting with skipper Chris Newman, before Christmas and on his first day back at the club addressed the whole playing and coaching staff.

"He had to put a plan in his place for his life," Cameron said.

"Now, it's up to Dan. There's been no restrictions placed on him once he returned. He's come back a Richmond player and he's got to act accordingly, act professionally."

Cameron said Connors was training strongly and off the radar in terms of partying.

"He's fine, he's come back as you would expect for a bloke who was suspended for 12 weeks, he's doing everything right," Cameron said.

"He's got a chance and now it's up to him."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/final-chance-for-troubled-richmond-midfielder-daniel-connors/story-e6frf9jf-1226256673649

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Daniel Connors says he has learnt from his mistakes

by: Mark Robinson
    January 30, 2012

Richmond young gun Daniel Connors has had a tough season. He was suspended for a large portion of it earlier in the year after he drank heavily after a game. He says he has learnt alot of from his mistakes.

Daniel Connors says he is not an alcoholic, yet concedes he has a problem with the drink.

A gregarious bloke sober, he becomes reckless and a risk-taker when drunk.

"I'm not an alcoholic," he says.

"I'm someone who enjoys a drink too much and when I do I make mistakes.

"There's a big difference between an alcoholic and someone who binge drinks. A massive difference.

"Alcoholics rely on alcohol all the time. I just enjoy it, have a good time, and that to me was alcohol."

This simple explanation hides greater demons, and as Connors explains why he is suspended for the second time by the Richmond Football Club - this time for 12 weeks - he confesses to being a young man with far deeper baggage than simply being an idiot on the drink.

Alcohol, it would seem, creates a mindset in the 23-year-old that could be described as: "I don't give s---."

Worse, it was alcohol that drove him along social highways that not only seriously concerned the Tigers, but were absolutely not conducive to a successful professional football career.

It's why the club cooked him for the second time and it's why, after returning to Punt Rd three weeks ago, his career hangs by the thinnest of threads.

"Obviously, you know about my past alcohol issues and the club gave me the opportunity to go away to address them and change some of my behaviours, a few things in my lifestyle," Connors says.

"The club told me I needed to go and change the way I was living my life. I went away and spoke to a few different people and I continue to work on those issues.

"I don't want to go into specifics, but a lot of the time my alcohol issues lead me to make bad decisions which have got me into hot water in the past and it's still getting me."

Connors lost his way after a forgettable 2011 season, in which he was restricted to the first three games.

As season-long quad injuries frustrated him, his self-esteem tumbled. By the end of the season he was a mess.

The mish-mash of issues, both present and past, meant Connors found escape in booze in the post-season.

"I just thought I had a s--- year, so I let my hair down and it got to a point where it was ridiculous. I shouldn't drink in that frame of mind because it never ends well for me," he says.

The Tigers began to hear stories of Connors' lifestyle and were compelled to act.

They moved on Connors on the Friday morning of trade week in October.

Coach Damien Hardwick and general manager of football Craig Cameron rang him at his Northcote home and told him they were coming over.

In his loungeroom, Hardwick and Cameron put it on him about his excessive drinking and lifestyle.

A fragile Connors admitted his failings.

Hardwick, it has been described, was matter of fact with his approach.

Clearly, a coach building culture, trust and responsibility wasn't going to allow a rotten apple to inflict disease on the development of the team.

"It was direct and frank ... a highly charged morning," Cameron says. "We told him, 'We don't know what we are going to do with you'.

"We told him we were disappointed and that we had to take time to think about what your fate is. Yeah, at the time we were disappointed and angry."

Connors got the proverbial double barrel.

"I was just sitting on my couch and, no, it wasn't good, as you could imagine," he says.

"They said I was suspended indefinitely, that I had lost all trust and respect, and they didn't know whether I was coming back.

"They said I had to address my issues. I told them where I was at and they sort of knew. They had questions they needed me to answer honestly.

"Did I tell the truth? I wouldn't be here if I didn't. I was gutted, but I could see where they were coming from.

"The footy club was trying to help me. They weren't trying to get me in trouble. They want to get the best out of me, not whack me any more than what they have. The club didn't cast me off but they said I needed to find the avenues to help myself."

Connors sought professional help through several sources. Initially, it was counselling every day for two weeks. Then every other day. Now, it's once a fortnight.

The Tigers kept in contact, but were adamant Connors had to fight the fight himself.

He learned plenty about himself.

In several hour sittings, Connors unloaded as much as he could.

He spoke of his fears, and his dreams, of his childhood environment in Echuca, his drinking, his behaviour, and his often wavering mental state.

"You bring up a issue to understand the behaviour," he says.

The specifics remain confidential, but he wanted to share one incident and its impact.

There had been "misdemeanours" as a wayward teen. But one particularly disturbing and violent incident in his home town in 2006, which left a man in a coma for several months, has never left him.

It was before he was drafted by the Tigers and the night of the announcement of the All-Australian under-18 team, in which Connors was named on a wing.

What started as drunken words in a pub ended with a punch being thrown by one of Connors' mates away from the pub and the man fell and hit his head.

Connors stayed with the man - then aged in his mid-40s - until the ambulance arrived and presented himself at the police station the next morning.

Only Connors and his two mates know what really happened and Connors maintains he did nothing wrong and that they tried to avoid confrontation, even by staying behind in the pub after the man left.

Still, the man ended up in a coma. The incident angered and hurt many people and Connors was subjected to abuse and accusation.

As a result, and because of the events of that horrible night, Connors believed he wasn't worthy of being an AFL footballer.

"I think about it all the time," he says, his eyes watering.

"It just didn't have to get to that. It's one of the issues I've dealt with and how it still subconsciously affects me. Subconsciously I wondered if I deserved to be where I was."

It's why, as part of his drive to better himself, Connors is part of a self-initiative called Stop, Step Back and Think.

"It's about drinking and violence under the influence of alcohol and we go to schools and I tell my story about what happened that night," he says.

His first school visit was to Carey Grammar.

"I spoke about what happens when you drink alcohol and violence gets involved and the end result," he says.

"It's something I want to teach other kids so they don't go down the pathway others have gone down."

Remorseful Connors could be accused of being a broken record. In 2010, he was suspended for eight weeks after a drunken incident following the Round 3 game against the Swans in Sydney.

The night ended when teammate Ben Cousins punched him in the face.

In an interview later that year with the Herald Sun , Connors swore he would turn his life around and forgo alcohol.

And he did, not drinking for the rest of the season.

Eighteen months later he was virtually in lifestyle rehab.

"They're my mistakes," he says of his post-season splurge.

"Things I've done I could've prevented, but back then that's all I knew how to deal with what I was going through. It wasn't the right way, but that's the only way I knew. Drinking was an escape. It helped me deal with my frustration.

"It was a tough time for me. I don't want people to feel sorry for me because that's footy. But I can deal with those issues better now. Back then that's all I knew how to deal with it.

"I'm not saying right now I'm fixed, but I'm improving and I'm working on being a better person."

Connors had to make adjustments.

He has closed down mates and become even closer with others. "My mates know now. There are a few I try not to catch up with because if I want to be a serious footballer I can't associate with them too much," he says.

And then there was his parents. Will his parents give a statement? Their voice could soften the blow for Connors.

They were disappointed after the Sydney incident and distraught after this second suspension. They came to Melbourne to stay with their son for several nights.

"They have been put through a fair bit," Connors says.

"They took it pretty hard. But it's not something you think about while you're doing it, you know, 'What would Mum and Dad think about me doing this?' Maybe if those thoughts went through my mind, it would be different."

Along with professional help, Connors tried to maintain his fitness. He trained by himself, and former Carlton player Ryan Houlihan also took an active role.

Through October, November and December, Connors ran by himself at an oval on St George's Rd, and worked with Houlihan on ovals at Princes Park.

"He's a good kid, a great kid and I just wanted to be there to support him," Houlihan says.

"His attitude was very good, he trained very hard, and I've spoken to him since he's been back and he's still working hard.

"I was really impressed with him and I'm sure he will have a great year."

It was more sweat and hard work than lattes at a local coffee haunt.

"He didn't tell me the full story. I didn't ask too much, I told him if he wanted to talk I'd listen, but we were there to train and train hard," Houlihan says.

Connors also attended a gym in Richmond and drove past Punt Rd Oval most days, where he would see the boys training. "Yeah, I'd have a look, and it was tough to look at," he says.

Connors returned to the club in the second week of the year. Before he was welcomed back, he made commitments to the club and the leadership group.

He spoke individually to leadership group members, starting with captain and close friend Chris Newman.

"I spoke to every one of them and I pledged the price of what I'd give up to get back," he says.

"It's very difficult to go to them and ask for another chance and be forgiven and earn respect back. I know I've lost respect, and a lot of them are good mates, but I know how disappointed they are."

Again, he probably sounded like a broken record.

"I don't think I need to tell exactly what they are, but obviously they have to be big enough commitments to allow me to come back."

One was soon obvious. He attended Newman's wedding on January 21 and drove there and home.

It was his first wedding without a drink. "I still had a good time," he said, surprise not lost in his voice.

Connors, who is living with teammate Shane Edwards, said he was fit, hoped to play in the NAB Cup and despite the Tigers finding depth in players such as Jake Batchelor and first-round pick Braden Ellis, Reece Conca and Bachar Houli, said he could regain his spot in the 22 for the season proper.

Connors is out of contract at the end of the season, so he knows the next six months is boom or bust.

"I know how lucky I am."

You really do?

"I honestly do. I would not have been at all surprised if they let me go and that shows how good the club has been towards me.There's other people out there with the same issues who don't get the support I have, so I'm very lucky and very grateful. If I get banned again, I get banned forever."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-daniel-connors-says-he-has-learnt-from-his-mistakes/story-e6frf9jf-1226256678660

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
This is better from the club, letting info out about his issues, supporting him and putting his future in his own hands.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Suckers.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
C'mon WP......into him...... ;D

Let's hope he gets it together and plays some footy......good footy.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
There always an excuse from this leopard.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

"There's a big difference between an alcoholic and someone who binge drinks. A massive difference.

"Alcoholics rely on alcohol all the time. I just enjoy it, have a good time, and that to me was alcohol."
Fev mark II with those lines.

The Club is being extremely tolerant given this wasn't the first long-term suspension. Also explains why he wasn't in Arizona.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
C'mon WP......into him...... ;D

Let's hope he gets it together and plays some footy......good footy.

I don't need to say anything

He is a very lucky young bloke to be given yet another chance

Agree with you WAT let's hope he gets his act together because it has never been a question of ability it's always been about application
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame

The Club is being extremely tolerant given this wasn't the first long-term suspension. Also explains why he wasn't in Arizona.

Sack him.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Thought the same thing about fev MT

I reckon thats one freed up list spot we could pencil in come november. I reckon it would take an extrodinary year from Dan to be otherwise.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

How many final chances has this bloke had? They should have delisted him IMHO  :gotigers

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia

Hopefully we can do a Fev like trade to Brisbane at the end of the year  ;D
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Dubstep Dookie

Very thin line between repeat binge drinkers and alcoholics. Binge drinkers are often dependent.

Anyhoot, it would be a phenomenal turn around if he was here next year. Has lost a massive amount of weight in the upper body and has missed the pre-season proper.

gerkin greg

Dude lives in Northcote. Delist.