Author Topic: Future Father-Sons  (Read 16129 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Future father sons
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
What about Jono Lee, does anyone know where he is playing this year?  ???

Gone across the border to SA to play for Woodville-West Torrens. The RFC had a look at him and Kevin Morris' son last year but neither made it.

thanks MT,

with regard to Jono Lee, I quite liked him playing for the Bendigo Pioneers. Sort of see him in the Simmonds or Pattison mould. REasonable height, good solid tapwork, reasonable mobility and skills. Should keep an eye on him, potentially as a future rookie-listed player.

Moi

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »
Louis Patrick Kellaway entered this world a couple of weeks ago.
Congratulations Dunc and Alexandra

With the Holland and Kellaway genes, would have to be a tiger player of the future  :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »

With the Holland and Kellaway genes, would have to be a tiger player of the future  :thumbsup

no we want players that can run and kick

Moi

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

I was just waiting for it - glad you didn't let me down  :lol
Expect Diggler to rock up for that news  :rollin

Jackstar

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 08:13:57 PM »
I wonder if he was named after a certain Tiger Supporter. :lol

Moi

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I wonder if he was named after a certain Tiger Supporter. :lol

:chuck
He was born on St Patrick's Day and I think they were married in Ireland, hence Patrick.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »

would i ever let u down moi!!!

Moi

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »

would i ever let u down moi!!!
Nah, never lol
We could do with some of Duncan's toughness at the moment - he did have some good things about him.  Skills no, courage plenty!

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »
Wish Richo would start breeding  :pray

Julz is first in line to volunteer lol
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »

:lol

Congrats to Dunc. Hope mum and baby are doing well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
Louis Kellaway ...

and Matthew Knights Kids

Zac Knights and i forgot the other one ...

so our midfield looks not bad ...

hopefully Louis can kick better then his old man and his uncle ...

no question about The Kellaway's Guts thats for sure !

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Wallace wants a Father-Son Academy
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 04:57:39 AM »
Tiger cubs receive guidance
Matthew Trollope | 3/07/2007 5:35:16 PM |  Sportal
Lyall Johnson | July 4, 2007 | The Age

The club has embarked on an initiative to invite past players to bring their children to Punt Road to participate in football clinics.

Called the Young Guns program, it will make the club a more close-knit family and give staff the chance to scout talent, according to senior coach Terry Wallace.

As a general philosophy, the clinics are a way of giving former players another link with the club, but more specifically, they will target the children of 100-game players who would be eligible as a father-son selection.

In developing the concept, Wallace said he used examples from overseas where clubs still had traditional links with geographical locations and adapted it to the father-son system, which is the only way under draft system that clubs could identify and nurture talent for their own purposes.

"Once upon a time … you could actually go into your own local area and work with the kids …" he said.

"The one area we do have that is the capability of being able to work with our father-son players. The more work we put into them, the more likelihood is we are going to get something out of it in future years."

The club put on a clinic for the children yesterday. .

The session included a club history lesson for participants, skills sessions with assistant coaches, and strength, conditioning and fitness tests.

Senior players will act as mentors for the boys, further strengthening the bond between the club’s present and future.

“[The boys] get the email address of their senior player so if they want any information on their football [such as] anything that they need to work on and improve, they’ve got an ongoing connection with one of the senior players,” Wallace said.

Those who took part in the program included Nick Wood and Kyle Weightman, sons of premiership players Brian and Dale.

“I think it’s a great program that the football club has started up and it really hones in on helping the boys with their skills, and also lets them know about the other things that it takes to play AFL, dietary information and the programs you have to go through,” Nick Wood said.

On playing for Richmond, he said: “It would just be a great honour and a privilege to pull on the black and yellow jumper and I’d just love to play for them, it’s a lifelong dream [of mine] to play AFL [football].”

Wallace hopes the program will grow throughout the year and increase on the 35 boys who took part in the first session. The program is not restricted to boys eligible under the AFL father-son rule whose father must have played 100 games or more for the club - but to the sons of any former Tiger who show some potential.

“It was our first opportunity to see some of the older boys and straight away our recruiting staff and our assistant coaches have identified two or three guys who they seriously reckon can play and that [we] should be keeping a real eye on from now on, so it’ll be an ongoing program.”

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-seek-defender-amongst-cubs/2007/07/03/1183351210540.html

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/tiger-cubs-receive-guidance-30207

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
good concept, hope it works

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
not sure about this. how hard is it to keep tabs on young tigers during their junior years? i have seen enough juniors lose interest in footy because of the pressure of making interleague and representative sides, rather than just being allowed to enjoy playing the game with their mates. and that's without the extra scrutiny that having a 100+ game father brings. wait till they are 14 or 15+ or at least well into puberty before having a look at them. its' all academic before then anyway.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 03:31:39 AM »
From the RFC site:

The more work we put into them the more benefit we can get out of that in future years. If you pick up a small deficiency in a kid who is 12 or 13 years of age, and work on and try to rectify that weakness, obviously that's going to benefit him in his football life and that may benefit us in the future.

Dale Weightman’s son, eight-year-old Kyle Weightman and 16-year-old Nick Wood, son of triple-premiership winning wingman Bryan Wood, attended the program launch at Punt Road this week.

According to Wallace, they have already identified one or two kids who look quite capable, including Nick Wood.

Wood, who plays football with his St Kevin's school side and is on the Oakleigh Chargers' Under-18 list, is another enthusiastic supporter of the program.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=46601

Here's the bio on Nick Wood. He's eligible for F/S next year.

Nicholas WOOD 
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/ St Kevins College
Guernsey No.: 42
D.O.B.: 22/09/90 
Height: 176 cm 
Weight: 71 kg