Author Topic: Time to trade big name hunters for Tiger cubs  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Time to trade big name hunters for Tiger cubs
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 12:32:34 PM »
On Darren Gaspar . . .

“Look, ‘Gas’ hasn’t had the best of years, but he had just nine months off after a knee reconstruction.

“He played because he felt obligated to represent the Club. He felt obligated to get out there and give it his best, and he’s been playing under duress. And, I think it’s unfair to mention him solely on his performance this year.

“He knows he hasn’t been playing as well. He knows that he’s not jumping off the ground or getting off the mark as quick as he will next year.

“So, I think it’s a bit unfair (to criticise him) . . .”

:-\

When you play then you’re up for praise and/or criticism.

If a player’s not fit then don’t play.  And why is it left to the player to decide whether or not he should be playing?  Shouldn’t the coaches be making these decisions?  Of course players will say they want to play.

Regardless of skill and ability, Gas has been pretty consistent for the majority of his time at Richmond.  What he has produced so far this season is nothing like previous seasons.  Wouldn’t that tell them to just get him back to Coburg for some confidence and form?  Or should we just play him every game, in the hope that he’ll come good at some stage, even though his contribution has been next to naught so far?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 02:31:05 PM »
Tiger stars not for sale!
10:46:45 AM Thu 8 July, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller, has jumped to the defence of star Tiger trio Matthew Richardson, Darren Gaspar and Brad Ottens in the wake of comments by leading football journalist, Patrick Smith, that they should be traded at the end of the season.

Smith, in his column in ‘The Australian’ yesterday (Wednesday, July 7), wrote that Richmond must trade at least one and maybe all, of the above-mentioned players in order to rebuild its list.

“Richmond have had Richardson, Gaspar and Ottens together since 1998. That has not delivered a premiership and will not deliver one. They should be used to enrich a tired list,” Smith said.

Miller, however, has dismissed Smith’s suggestion that Ottens (out of contract at season’s end), Richardson and Gaspar (both contracted for next year) need to be shipped out of Punt Road.

Speaking on Kevin Bartlett’s ‘Hungry For Sport’ program on SEN, Miller outlined why each of the players targetted by Smith should stay at Tigerland.

On Matthew Richardson . . .

“As has been well documented, we had a long talk to Matty Richardson last year about some parts of his game.

“He gives everything to the Richmond Football Club. He represents us – on and off the field – in the most passionate way he can. And, sometimes, that body language has let him down.

“But I think this year, for example, that part of his game he’s worked hardest at turning around, and he’s been sensational again off the field and very good on the field.

“So, I’m very pleased with his contribution.”

On Darren Gaspar . . .

“Look, ‘Gas’ hasn’t had the best of years, but he had just nine months off after a knee reconstruction.

“He played because he felt obligated to represent the Club. He felt obligated to get out there and give it his best, and he’s been playing under duress. And, I think it’s unfair to mention him solely on his performance this year.

“He knows he hasn’t been playing as well. He knows that he’s not jumping off the ground or getting off the mark as quick as he will next year.

“So, I think it’s a bit unfair (to criticise him) . . .”

On Brad Ottens . . .

“We put a new deal to Brad last year, so that he wouldn’t come out of contract – and I admire his answer.

“He felt that he’s been paid on potential for too long and that he had to get the runs on the board.

“He wants to play for Richmond his whole career and he wants to be measured on his performances – not on potential. And, I admired him for the stance he took last year.

“And, that’s how the discussions (on a new contract for him) have been going . . .

“Brad’s very much part of our future.

“You could say Brad has been a bit inconsistent this year. He’s had some good games, and some good quarters and good halves.

“I also think he’s been a little bit restricted, too. He’s not quite back to the agility that he had prior to his back operation.

“But I think he’s improving in that area and I believe he’ll be an even better player next year.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »
Regardless of skill and ability, Gas has been pretty consistent for the majority of his time at Richmond.  What he has produced so far this season is nothing like previous seasons.  Wouldn’t that tell them to just get him back to Coburg for some confidence and form?  Or should we just play him every game, in the hope that he’ll come good at some stage, even though his contribution has been next to naught so far?

I think after 14 games with no improvement and minimal contribution should show the selection committee he's more likely than not not going to come good at some stage this year. If he's staying on our list next year then like you TS I can't understand why they haven't sent him back to Coburg for some confidence. Surely starting and spending most of the matches on the bench isn't in his best interests of recovering his fitness, form and confidence after a knee reco?!

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 05:47:04 PM »
I believe the maximum allowable is 13 changes to a playing list in one year. Not sure if that includes rookies?!   
Don't think rookies are MT.
Last year Carlton had 4 retirees. All up they put 15 on their list and took 15 off. I think with our 2 retirees we get to put on 2 extra over the limit to maintain our numbers.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »
I believe the maximum allowable is 13 changes to a playing list in one year. Not sure if that includes rookies?!   
Don't think rookies are MT.
Last year Carlton had 4 retirees. All up they put 15 on their list and took 15 off. I think with our 2 retirees we get to put on 2 extra over the limit to maintain our numbers.

Cheers FF.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd