Author Topic: Names on back of guernseys - Yeah or Neah?  (Read 14187 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Names on back of guernseys - Yeah or Neah
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
No.

But if they do decide to do it we should adopt the Brazilian soccer team model of naming players.

What's that

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
No.

But if they do decide to do it we should adopt the Brazilian soccer team model of naming players.

Have their first names on the back?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
It's not 'stuffing basketball!!!!
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Dont like, and not needed in our game
I dont understand why we need to "americanise" our sports, seriously we have a good game let it evolve naturally and stop tampering with it.
The rate in which its currently be molested, we wont recognise it in 10 years. 
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
No.

Cotch will be Cotchinho
Lids will be Deledinho
Dusty we just call Dustinho
Conca- Concinho
Ellis-Brandinho
Grigginho
Vlaustin- Hollandinho
McBean- Fasolathinho
White- Asprinho
Jackson - Iacovinho

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
Any true supporter worth his salt will know who a player is at the very least by his number. Names are for Part-Time Bandwagoners.

As a part time Bandwagoner I for one would love the names on the jumpers, whenever there is a new kids from the 2's in the seniors I have no clue who they are. 

As Jeans said Footballers are like sausages and they are just as hard to tell apart when your new to the game.  Anything that makes it easier for the spectators is a good thing.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:09 PM »
Dont like, and not needed in our game
I dont understand why we need to "americanise" our sports, seriously we have a good game let it evolve naturally and stop tampering with it.
The rate in which its currently be molested, we wont recognise it in 10 years. 

Cmon we took the draft, the equalisation, the expanded bench and the salary cap from US sports and as a result AFL has been killing NRL, mugby and soccer.  As a game we adopt what works, 100 odd rule changes in 100 years says it all, but it has and always will be an Aussie sport tailored to Aussies because we dont have the world wide audience that soccer has to deal with, where you end up with the suckiest rules decided by committee.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »
No.

Cotch will be Cotchinho
Lids will be Deledinho
Conca- Concinho
Ellis-Brandinho
Grigginho
Vlaustin- Hollandinho
McBean- Fasolathinho
White- Asprinho
Jackson - Iacovinho
:clapping  :clapping

That's the spirit.

...And Reiwoldt will be "Fred".
 :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
No.

Cotch will be Cotchinho
Lids will be Deledinho
Conca- Concinho
Ellis-Brandinho
Grigginho
Vlaustin- Hollandinho
McBean- Fasolathinho
White- Asprinho
Jackson - Iacovinho
:clapping  :clapping

That's the spirit.

...And Reiwoldt will be "Fred".
 :lol

Riewoldt is definentely Zico :thumbsup
Titch is Tichinho

Royce Hart was definentely Pele. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »
Demetriou backs names on jumpers
By Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
Sunday, July 28, 2013

THE IDEA of players wearing names on the back of their jumpers has the support of AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou.

But he has not yet being able to convince his colleagues on the AFL executive of the merits of making the change.

Demetriou told ABC Radio that he thought there was a legitimate argument for names being placed on the back of jumpers, particularly when the AFL was trying to grow the game in NSW and Queensland.

"I'm not as opposed to it so it will probably get a run again," Demetriou said. "I'm actually enthusiastic about it but I keep getting the arguments against it, which I don't buy."

AFL.com.au reported in early July that the issue had been discussed at executive level recently and deputy CEO Gillon McLachlan said the idea was gaining momentum.

Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy has pushed for players to wear names on the back of jumpers.

Sheedy told AFL.com.au at the time that displaying names would help him in the business of trying to make superstars in Sydney.

"Don't run around with blank sheets of paper on their back. Don't run around with a whiteboard with nothing on it," Sheedy said.   

Many professional sports throughout the world have uniforms that display players' names.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-28/chief-backs-jumper-names

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
No.

Cotch will be Cotchinho
Lids will be Deledinho
Conca- Concinho
Ellis-Brandinho
Grigginho
Vlaustin- Hollandinho
McBean- Fasolathinho
White- Asprinho
Jackson - Iacovinho

I like it.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
Demetriou backs names on jumpers
By Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
Sunday, July 28, 2013

THE IDEA of players wearing names on the back of their jumpers has the support of AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou.

But he has not yet being able to convince his colleagues on the AFL executive of the merits of making the change.

Demetriou told ABC Radio that he thought there was a legitimate argument for names being placed on the back of jumpers, particularly when the AFL was trying to grow the game in NSW and Queensland.

"I'm not as opposed to it so it will probably get a run again," Demetriou said. "I'm actually enthusiastic about it but I keep getting the arguments against it, which I don't buy."

AFL.com.au reported in early July that the issue had been discussed at executive level recently and deputy CEO Gillon McLachlan said the idea was gaining momentum.

Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy has pushed for players to wear names on the back of jumpers.

Sheedy told AFL.com.au at the time that displaying names would help him in the business of trying to make superstars in Sydney.

"Don't run around with blank sheets of paper on their back. Don't run around with a whiteboard with nothing on it," Sheedy said.   

Many professional sports throughout the world have uniforms that display players' names.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-28/chief-backs-jumper-names

A slight distraction from footy's real issues. Gotta love the timing.
How about phone numbers under the names as well. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Names on back of guernseys - Yeah or Neah?
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
The topic has come up again today due to Harry McKay's tweet.

SHOULD THE AFL REVISIT NAMES ON PLAYER GUERNSEYS?

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
11 January 2022

Is it time for the AFL to commit to names on the back of guernseys?

While obviously low on the league’s priority list, it has been put back on the agenda by Carlton spearhead Harry McKay, who put the idea out there on Twitter.

“Surely names on the back of jumpers has to be revisited in AFL and AFLW?” the tweet read.

“Just about only team sport in world that doesn’t do it, even Test cricket does it now. No brainer to help grow the game.”

McKay’s tweet was in reference to Sunday’s AFLW clash between Carlton and Collingwood and given the league is still young and growing, it could be particularly beneficial for it from a name recognition standpoint.

The AFL trialled surnames on the back of guernseys back in 2014, but opted against making it permanent at the time due to practical limitations.

"The round five trial demonstrated that the unique cut of AFL guernseys restricts the size of lettering that can be used and this in turn limits the legibility of the player names for fans at the ground, and to a lesser extent, for those watching on television or via other media channels," an AFL spokesperson said at the time.

"To varying degrees depending on the club, there is only limited space available on the back of match day guernseys for suitably sized names due to player numbers, club acronyms and sponsor logos.”

The AFL’s half-hearted attempt at it in 2014 never closed the door on the concept however and former Adelaide forward Josh Jenkins agrees that it is time to revisit the concept.

“I don’t think it desperately has to happen, but we do look around the world and we see names on the back of guernseys and jumpers and whatever players wear,” Jenkins told SEN Breakfast.

“I actually don’t like the look of the big clunky numbers and names in the Test matches, I think that looks a little bit silly.

“Now (in the AFL) we’ve got a sponsor sitting in the spot where a name would be.

“I think it would certainly sell more jumpers. I can’t see why we shouldn’t have names on the back of jumpers just as the reigning Coleman Medallist says.”

SEN Chief Reporter Sam Edmund agreed, believing it would be an easy win for the league, while also not tampering with the traditions of the code too much.

“I can’t see how it wouldn’t be a hit either. I think it’s one of those things that would only help the game,” Edmund said.

“I don’t see it as a crushing blow to the traditional elements of the game. This is no day Grand Final debate, this is just a printed name on the back of a jumper.

“I think it would be a welcome edition to the game and help grow it with the younger generation of fans who can relate more to their player.

“I think especially now that cricket has jumped that hurdle.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/01/11/should-the-afl-revisit-names-on-player-guernseys/

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »
Not sure if Harry and Sam Edmond are up on current events but where do they intend to put the names exactly?

Sponsor logos are below and above the numbers these days. Due to COVID the AFL have allowed the space above the number to "sold" for sponsorship $$$.  Clubs need the $$$

Remember also that Clubs like ours are going to be receiving less in dividends form HQ going forward because we are financially strong. So those $$$ are even more important now

But that aside which one do Sam and Harry reckon should be fiven the flick?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2022, 02:58:11 PM »
Not sure if Harry and Sam Edmond are up on current events but where do they intend to put the names exactly?

Sponsor logos are below and above the numbers these days. Due to COVID the AFL have allowed the space above the number to "sold" for sponsorship $$$.  Clubs need the $$$

Remember also that Clubs like ours are going to be receiving less in dividends form HQ going forward because we are financially strong. So those $$$ are even more important now

But that aside which one do Sam and Harry reckon should be given the flick?

Is making the number a bit smaller an option? Then you could put the name just above the number.