Author Topic: Tigress steps in to calm the den's boardroom (Age)  (Read 1548 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigress steps in to calm the den's boardroom (Age)
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:24:55 AM »
Tigress steps in to calm the den

Mark Hawthorne and Jon Pierik
    The Age
    October 5, 2013

Richmond was quick to trumpet news of Peggy O'Neal's ascendancy to the AFL club's presidency. ''Richmond will be the first club in AFL/VFL history to have a female president,'' its website declared.

But the fanfare did little to disguise internal rumblings that have threatened to divide the club as it emerges from three decades in football's wilderness.

The presidency had been coveted by two Richmond board members.

In one corner was prominent sports administrator Malcolm Speed, former head of Cricket Australia and the International Cricket Council.

In the other was Tigers vice-president Maurice O'Shannassy, a Collins Street fund manager who has run the Australian investment arms of US giants BlackRock and Merrill Lynch.

For months, the eight remaining Richmond club directors were split 4-4 over who should succeed long-serving Gary March as president.

Behind closed doors, the factional squabbling degenerated into guerilla war for the top job.

March had originally favoured O'Shannassy, his long-serving deputy, while the AFL privately made it known it preferred Speed.

Such was the stalemate, there were suggestions the AFL might intervene publicly and back Speed, believing he had the right pedigree to run a club rebuilt under March's tenure.

''It all got pretty nasty near the end,'' one former Tigers board member said.

Ultimately, it was March who acted, encouraging O'Neal to put her hand up for the job.

With neither O'Shannassy nor Speed able to capture a vote from the other side, the 4-4 divide became an 8-0 win to O'Neal.

An American who has lived here for 24 years, O'Neal is regarded as one of the country's best superannuation lawyers.

All three candidates presented their cases to the Richmond board over the past month.

O'Neal was grilled over her ability to deal with powerful AFL figures and be able to take a robust stand for the club. Those who know her have no doubts.

''Peggy is one of the most impressive people I have dealt with,'' March said yesterday. ''I don't think she will have any issues dealing with men in football. She has dealt with fairly smart men in the legal world for years.''

Jeremy Cooper, former deputy chairman of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, also has no doubts. ''Peggy is calm, methodical and has a great mind,'' he said. ''Most of all, I know she loves the game. In a male dominated world she won't have any issues.

''She's not the type of personality to get people offside. She's firm, but believes in collaborating.''

Speed has a year to run on his initial three-year tenure, and board sources suggest he will now weigh up whether to seek re-election.

O'Shannassy, who remains vice-president, seems to have had his long-term presidency ambitions quashed.

O'Neal is just the 19th president of the Tigers in more than a century, and has taken control of the club as it stands on the cusp of a long-awaited successful era.

She is expected to start her presidency by announcing a $1 million-plus profit at the annual meeting in December, and declaring the Tigers are, at long last, debt-free.

But tensions run deep. In a carefully worded statement, the Tigers tried to play down the divisions this week, with O'Neal saying: ''This is a strong, united board with great experience …''

That unity, it seems, is in the eye of the beholder.

''We are united, but just not over that big issue,'' a club insider said of the presidency decision.

And the ambitions of two Tigers, in Speed and O'Shannassy, burn bright.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigress-steps-in-to-calm-the-den-20131004-2uzya.html

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigress steps in to calm the den's boardroom (Age)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »
The insinuation that there is somehow a deep division is vomitus.8 votes is unanimous to me anyway. There is one word for the authors of this article and if the cap fits....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »
Absolutely agree HRT, what a disgraceful article.  Typical Australian media - sensationalise with half-truths and innuendo just to sell a paper.

But the fanfare did little to disguise internal rumblings that have threatened to divide the club as it emerges from three decades in football's wilderness.

Behind closed doors, the factional squabbling degenerated into guerilla war for the top job.

Such was the stalemate, there were suggestions the AFL might intervene publicly and back Speed,

But tensions run deep. In a carefully worded statement, the Tigers tried to play down the divisions this week, with O'Neal saying: ''This is a strong, united board with great experience …''

That unity, it seems, is in the eye of the beholder.

Any wonder I hold as much respect for journalists as I do real estate agents, used car salesmen and politicians.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
Think the 2 journos are trying to cover their own backsides and egos

They are the same 2 who wrote the original " board divided" article.

This is them just tying to say were right back then and this is why.

The fact that Peggy was elected 8-0 (no surprise to some of us BTW) to the top job shows what sort of regard she is held in.

A nothing article by desperate gutless joirnos
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
If you're not surprised then why didn't you throw her name up before?? It was all the rage to talk about how impressive Speed's CV is, now it's "no surprise here with Peggy being appointed :clapping "

Wow that is unreal

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
I guess we will once a month, at least  ;D
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
If you're not surprised then why didn't you throw her name up before?? It was all the rage to talk about how impressive Speed's CV is, now it's "no surprise here with Peggy being appointed :clapping "

Wow that is unreal

Did you actually read what I wrote.

I said I was not surprised she was elected with 8-0 margin. Nothing more, nothing less. The margin of the vote was no surprise. That's all I said.

Was I surprised she put her hand up for the job? Yep I was. Didn't see it coming but absolutely rapt she decided to do it.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
The big Pegster  :bow
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
Didn't surprise me either , one little bit :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
Now all we need is Sigmund Freud as club shrink and a whole lot of things will fall into place......
Caracella and Balmey.