Author Topic: AFL to expand to 18 clubs  (Read 19596 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Gold Coast Kangaroos / AFL may expand to 18 clubs
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
They get 2000 odd people to a meeting about sums up the predicament the Roos have.

They are going to regret not taking the golden egg

As for a 17th team ... 12 of the 16 clubs have to agree to it. Can't see it happening as it will cut into how much clubs get from the AFL (annual distribution all clubs get)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2007, 03:24:39 PM »
They get 2000 odd people to a meeting about sums up the predicament the Roos have.

As for a 17th team ... 12 of the 16 clubs have to agree to it. Can't see it happening as it will cut into how much clubs get from the AFL (annual distribution all clubs get)
They'll regret it big time if they are forced to merge with this 17th club in 2-3 years time when they could have go it alone and at least kept their club traditions (colours, moniker, theme song, etc..).

When does the current tv rights deal finish. Is it the end of 2011?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »

Yep 2011

Now on the news Andy D is talking about an 18th team  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Demetriou wants 18 clubs split into two 9 team conferences (The Age)
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2007, 04:38:23 AM »
Not only does Demetriou want 18 teams, he also wants to split the league into two 9 team conferences.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/demetriou-flags-18team-league/2007/12/07/1196813025633.html

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
Yes that will Americanise the structure of the season much in the same way that the NFL in the States goes about it with the NFC and AFC. Perhaps two conferences here may shorten the season also. Andy D I have said it before and I will say it again IF IT AINT BROKE DO NOT FIX IT YOU FOOL. :banghead

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 02:09:54 AM »

They'll regret it big time if they are forced to merge with this 17th club in 2-3 years time when they could have go it alone and at least kept their club traditions (colours, moniker, theme song, etc..).

My cousin is a Roos supporter and I admire him for it cos he has stuck thru thick & thin.  When North pioneered the Friday night matches in the late 80's, he was there in the old Southern Stand in the wet & cold in the middle of winter.  When the Roos sold games to Sydney & Canberra, he still bought his annual membership.  He still goes to the AGM's even though his membership does not entitled him to a direct voting input into a board controlled by a handful of self-interested investors.

But last night, he mentioned that his kids would not have the opportunity to support the club he loves because some vocal people are only concerned about the way they feel now and cannot look past their own self interest for the next 2 to 4 years. 

He reckons that his club will not be there in any form for his kids to enjoy  and that they will starve & die on their knees.  He thinks that seeing the Northern Kangaroos with a bit of gold around the arm bands or a gold vee on the old style jumper is a sacrifice (afterall they did wear an orange jumper) that he is prepared to have so that the club he loves is around for another 140 years and not just to 2011.

He likes the idea of having access to a club that has sunshine in the winter so he can take his kids to the Gold Coast, have a family holiday, watch the Roos at their new home and go to the club rooms to see the history and honour boards preserved and strangely reinvigorated with a sense of direction for the clubs future as once again it will be a pioneer club with focus and supportive AFL draft measures & cash. 

He figures the home ground is not Arden St, it is either the Docklands or MCG as it has been for 20 years.  He figures that he will still get an opportunity to see 6 or 7 games live in Melbounre and thinks it would be an opportunity for the Kangaroos to become Australia's team a bit like the Dallas Cowboys (I know, but he said it) because the Kangaroo is representative of the nation and also has alliance with the Rugby League national side.

He cannot understand how some people can see that even if the Roos double their revenue base in the next 5 years the will only then be catching up to Collingwood, Crows & Eagles.  If those clubs double their revenue base the Roos will be 50 million, yes 50 million behind annually.

It is not about money for him it is about a legacy, and he does not see that a North or a Kanga legacy will be their for his kids.  He will be absolutely gutted that it appears that it is either make or break and there will be no club at all if the shareholders do not accept a need for evolvement to a new location & destiny.

Me, I really feel for him, cos I would not want to imagine a future without the Tigers.  However, I am not based in Victoria any more, and that insulates me from a lot of the angst.  The RFC looks like it getting a solid financial foundation in place under the management of Steve Wright and leadership of Gary March and that a bright sustained future is closer than it is further away.  I know that I would be distressed if RFC relocated, but I dont know what I would be like if it folded.

Is death worse than genesis ?

It seems that the North Melbourne Kangaroos will find out sooner rather than later.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2007, 04:49:47 AM »
Genesis 4 sure.
Unless it is a Fitzroy type scenario (As good as death imo)
If North got to keep 6 or 7 home games in Melbourne, they would be able to maintain some of their roots and history.
I think the decision they have made has sealed their fate. They have been a reasonably successful club that has been constantly pushing the pooh up the hill at the same time.
If they Couldn't/Haven't generated the means to survive by now it aint gunna happen.
They may kick for 3 or 4 years, but the wheel turns and they will get their time in the dark where we have been the last 25 years - Then it is RIP.
I thank something every year that there are that many Richmond supporters that stick through thick and THIN that we can survive and because of us the AFL need the Tigers alive and well in Melbourne. We must continue on our resurrection and start to play finals at the same time, but the AFL knows either way they need Richmond.

The AFL is a different monster to the old VFL, it's all about getting bums on seats & $$$ from TV etc - Can't do that your in trouble.

Doggies and Saints have been going ok last 10 years and they can thank their lucky rsez they are not in the same possie. If they slide back down as will happen lookout.
Maybe the saving grace for the dogs is they are based in the western suburbs, the AFL will not let any potetial market slip (SYDNEY SWANS), which all makes it what the huge fuggen joke it is, but that is what it is !

Thank god for the Tigers and as I have said before and will say again ANYTHING happens to Richmond and the AFL will be dead in the water to me in the blink of an eye.

Just remember that when we win a flag, we have done it from our own bat and from our diehard supporters backs.
Not like all these new "Franchises" that get huge markets handed to them on a platter or are constantly held up until they win a flag to generate support.
Fremantle don't count they are a basket case. :rollin

All quite sad really but I don't support North I support Richmond, so f evryone bar us as far as I am concerned

Tiger supporters can hold their heads high in my book.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
Sheeds says today in the Herald-Sun he would give the following concessions to the 17th club:

* GIVE them the first 10 draft choices.

* INCREASE the list size to 50.

* OFFER reduced contracts for say 12-15 games.

* NO salary cap.

:o

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »
Talk in the Sunday Mail that Sheeds wants to coach the 17th team.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »
High Profile coach for a team that will have all the handouts of success issued to them and Sheeds will lap it all up in his last hurrah while the media project him to be the supercoach. :whistle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »
I thought he wanted to coach Richmond ... or was that Melbourne or anyone who'll have him :whistle.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2007, 08:41:48 PM »
Is death worse than genesis ?
I don't honestly know what I would do if god-forbid it ever came to relocating. I can't imagine myself following a club no longer called Richmond and based outside Victoria :(. We almost came to relocating to Queensland in the mid-80's but thankfully KB, Jack Dyer and our supporters quickly knocked it on the head. Like the Roos now, it was make or break for us and we did face death 4-5 years later but we rallied to survive through our large supporter base. The Roos don't have that large supporter base and finding the revenue to survive is harder now with all these competing markets from other sports.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »
I thought he wanted to coach Richmond ... or was that Melbourne or anyone who'll have him :whistle.

:thatsgold

He will love the Gold COast  Sheeds ;D

Actually the AFL would be rapted to have Sheeds coaching their new team :yep :chuck

I actually heard Gillon Mc on 3AW yesterday and he said that the league doesn't need a 75% FOR vote to grant anew license. He said they needed a 75% NO vote for it not to happen. He said the league only needs 5 Clubs to vote YEAH and we will have a 17th team - now that folks is a disgrace.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »
Well North's survival mode is off to a great start. Their CEO has walked out.

I actually heard Gillon Mc on 3AW yesterday and he said that the league doesn't need a 75% FOR vote to grant anew license. He said they needed a 75% NO vote for it not to happen. He said the league only needs 5 Clubs to vote YEAH and we will have a 17th team - now that folks is a disgrace.
WTF ???

And people have a nerve to call the AFL commission a dictatorship  :inquisition

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2007, 05:43:53 AM »
Is Demetriou trying to get rid of the Roos? A journo reckons so.

-------------------------------------------
Breakfast reignites Kangaroo fears
18 December 2007   Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

A BREAKFAST meeting at a South Melbourne cafe has reignited concerns over the AFL's plans for North Melbourne.

The meeting between AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and players' boss Brendon Gale was held last Thursday, and alleged conversations within it were yesterday published on the internet by highly respected journalist Charles Happell.

Happell, a former sports editor of The Age newspaper, wrote on subscription news service Crikey.com that Demetriou was overheard at the Montague Park cafe telling Gale that North, in rejecting the league's attempts to relocate it to the Gold Coast, had "played into our hands".

Happell also said Demetriou told Gale he expected the Roos to be out of business "within six months".

Demetriou was contacted by the Herald Sun last night but used a spokesman to deny the report.

"The only thing the correspondent got right is that Andrew had breakfast in a South Melbourne cafe with Brendon Gale. Andrew certainly didn't talk about the Kangaroos in those terms and any suggestion he did is complete rubbish."

Happell stood by his article when contacted last night and while admitting "it is not the most conventional way to garner a story", he said it was newsworthy because the cafe conversation differed to public comments made by the AFL.

Full article at: http://heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22940540%255E19742,00.html