Author Topic: No more Meat Pies at the footy?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No more Meat Pies at the footy?
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
A nutritionist wants the meat pie banned at the footy ...

Give meat pies the boot

SUELLEN HINDE, ELISSA DOHERTY
Adelaide Advertiser
March 04, 2007 12:15am

NUTRITIONISTS have called for the iconic Aussie pie to be banned from sale at AFL games.

Pies sold at AAMI Stadium, the MCG and Telstra Dome contain up to a whopping 35 grams of fat.
Fans consume about 6000 pies and pasties at each AFL game at AAMI Stadium, eclipsed only by hot chips as the most popular snack.

Nutritionists now say if Australia is serious about curbing the obesity epidemic, football fans should avoid the pie.

Prominent nutritionist Dr Rosemary Stanton wants signs at football canteens telling patrons the exact fat content of the chips, hamburgers and pies they are consuming, while another, Shane Bilsborough, wants the pie banned.

His call follows a move by top UK soccer clubs, including Glasgow Celtic and Arsenal, to ban pies at their venues.

Mr Bilsborough said sporting events should encourage people to eat healthier food options.

"But when you go to the football all that is on offer is pies, chips, soft drinks and pasties – it is all rubbish," he said.

"Seriously, they should be getting them off the menu and as a nutritionist I would love to see them removed.

"It's a culture that is leading to an epidemic of diabetes and heart disease. Football should be a healthy experience and parents should be setting healthy examples for their kids and not letting them form bad habits."

To burn off the fat in a pie you need to do about 30,000 walking steps or run about 6km.

"You would not see the footy players who are on strict diets and exercise regimes eating pies, so why are the supporters?" Mr Bilsborough said. Celebrity diet guru Dr John Tickell says it is at least time for the AFL to make sure healthier options are the same price as fast food.

"If the AFL was fair dinkum they would subsidise healthy food so that it is no more expensive than junk food," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21320220-2682,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: No more Meat Pies at the footy?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
"You would not see the footy players who are on strict diets and exercise regimes eating pies, so why are the supporters?" Mr Bilsborough said.

Lance Whitnall  ;D. He always cops pies jokes from the Tiger faithful,

How times have changed. They use to famously advertise pies on tv with Jack Dyer, Whitten and co.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
A nutritionist wants the meat pie banned at the footy ...

Give meat pies the boot

SUELLEN HINDE, ELISSA DOHERTY
Adelaide Advertiser
March 04, 2007 12:15am

NUTRITIONISTS have called for the iconic Aussie pie to be banned from sale at AFL games.

Pies sold at AAMI Stadium, the MCG and Telstra Dome contain up to a whopping 35 grams of fat.
Fans consume about 6000 pies and pasties at each AFL game at AAMI Stadium, eclipsed only by hot chips as the most popular snack.

Nutritionists now say if Australia is serious about curbing the obesity epidemic, football fans should avoid the pie.

Prominent nutritionist Dr Rosemary Stanton wants signs at football canteens telling patrons the exact fat content of the chips, hamburgers and pies they are consuming, while another, Shane Bilsborough, wants the pie banned.

His call follows a move by top UK soccer clubs, including Glasgow Celtic and behindnal, to ban pies at their venues.

Mr Bilsborough said sporting events should encourage people to eat healthier food options.

"But when you go to the football all that is on offer is pies, chips, soft drinks and pasties – it is all rubbish," he said.

"Seriously, they should be getting them off the menu and as a nutritionist I would love to see them removed.

"It's a culture that is leading to an epidemic of diabetes and heart disease. Football should be a healthy experience and parents should be setting healthy examples for their kids and not letting them form bad habits."

To burn off the fat in a pie you need to do about 30,000 walking steps or run about 6km.

"You would not see the footy players who are on strict diets and exercise regimes eating pies, so why are the supporters?" Mr Bilsborough said. Celebrity diet guru Dr John Tickell says it is at least time for the AFL to make sure healthier options are the same price as fast food.

"If the AFL was fair dinkum they would subsidise healthy food so that it is no more expensive than junk food," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21320220-2682,00.html

IDIOT!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:01:16 PM »
Fair dinkum what's next?   :banghead

Banning the beanie? Because some people suffer from hat hair :wallywink

I tell you our halftime food feast at Player Club would not be the same if we didn't have party pies and sausage rolls. I mean when your teams getting beaten what else is there to do but gulp down pies and drinks? A great release :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »
Discriminatory against skinny people who wanna get fat lol

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
Just eat more CRAP.
like SUPERDOGS, DONUTS. PIZZAS ETC ::) :chuck

Ox

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
SUELLEN HINDE & ELISSA DOHERTY HAVE FAT KIDS.

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »

Lmao!  :lol

I don't eat meat pies, but all this is getting pathetic :stupid

Yes Australia has a obesity crisis, but they aren't shoving the food in our mouths... we are... a little self control people... though it is kinda hard when you team is down by 100+ points  :shh
There are other options other than meat pies... hot chips for example... a potato is a vegetable  ;D... yeah it's deep fried, but come on... fat is flavour ;D
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:15:59 PM »
Fair dinkum what's next?   :banghead

The RFC members cap would be first to be banned if that was the case  :D.

I tell you our halftime food feast at Player Club would not be the same if we didn't have party pies and sausage rolls. I mean when your teams getting beaten what else is there to do but gulp down pies and drinks? A great release :rollin

The pasta dish before hand isn't quite common footy food lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »
The pasta dish before hand isn't quite common footy food lol.

that's true but sometimes when it's served up and it is half cold it might as well be a pie :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »
So that's where those party pies and sausage rolls have gone when I get there late lol

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »
What a joke.  Almost as bad as school tuckshops.