Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 461245 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3465 on: June 16, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »
Would rather go for De Goey.....:shh

If Balta or another bloke comes on as a KPD I would agree. Having De Goey and Dusty in the F50 would be terrifying.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3466 on: June 17, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
Tigers star reveals Pendles’ cheeky sledge after shock missed goal

June 17, 2020
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

And when Tigers star Jack Riewoldt fell short when one of the biggest moments of Thursday night’s season re-opener arrived, Magpies captain Scott Pendlebury let him know all about it.

As the Collingwood-Richmond clash came to a strange yet thrilling conclusion, Riewoldt had an opportunity to goal for the Tigers with a set-shot kick. He was around 30m out on a 45-degree angle – seemingly regulation territory for a man who’s kicked 634 goals and won three Coleman Medals.

But Riewoldt’s kick, surprisingly, fell short, with Collingwood big man Darcy Cameron taking a mark on the goalline. Perhaps the fact Cameron’s grab was uncontested suggested Riewoldt’s teammates had full confidence he’d cover the distance.

The final siren sounded minutes later, with the Tigers and Pies locked at 5.6 (36) apiece – just the second draw in the two clubs’ long head-to-head history.

Riewoldt on Tuesday night revealed when the Tigers were setting up their zone to stop a Collingwood attacking foray, Pendlebury seized the moment to have a cheeky dig at 31-year-old Riewoldt.

“I had a bit of a chuckle. Scott Pendlebury was on the mark and he ribbed me straight away. He goes: ‘Those hips are gone, you’re getting a bit old,’” Riewoldt told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“It was disappointing to not kick the goal … it was a pretty weird night.”

Riewoldt provided some explanation as to why his kick failed to make the distance – and some of the ‘interesting’ social media feedback he’d received in the aftermath.

“I was so focused on dropping the ball well – which I did – and then I just forgot to kick it,” Riewoldt said.

With tongue-in-cheek, he added: “I’ve been getting some really great feedback on Instagram and Twitter, mainly on people that had multi-bets on me involving me kicking the goal. So I’ve been really appreciative of the support I’ve received since Thursday night.”

The Pies-Tigers clash received ample backlash for the lack of scoring, but Riewoldt said the game was an “anomaly” and that while both sides were structurally-sound defensively, they had some work to do offensively.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-scott-pendlebury-sledge-jack-riewoldt-missed-goal-afl-360-collingwood-vs-richmond/news-story/49cff8b69b06df1f5c9fec4540cb1a2f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3467 on: June 19, 2020, 01:55:42 AM »
There’s a ‘question mark’ over Jack Riewoldt. Two former greats consider what’s next

June 19, 2020
David Zita
FOX SPORTS

Riewoldt was held goalless for the second week in a row on Thursday, as the premiers went down by 32 points to a dominant Hawthorn side at the MCG.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack after the game, King suggested that, based purely on an output point of view, a change could benefit the 31-year-old.

“Jack gets the ball on his smarts, he’s an incredible player, we love Jack,” King pointed out.

“Jack’s the most popular player in the AFL and no one loves him more than we do here at Fox Footy, but it’s drying up for Jack at the moment.

“I just wonder if there’s something else they can go to with Jack, will Damien Hardwick look at another role for Jack or pull another lever for Jack because, on tricks alone, he’s lost a bit of his weaponry.

“He’s clearly coming to the end of an unbelievable career, 31 years of age, 265-odd games. A guy that I probably thought would coast to 300, 15 games ago but it looks like it’s becoming harder now. He’s going through quicksand at the moment.

“This is not a whack on Jack, I’m not saying he’s finished or anything, there’s just a question mark.”

Premiership forward Cameron Mooney agreed with King that the three-time Coleman medallist was well down on his usual output, explaining from personal experience the toll footy takes on a key forward at the back-end of a career.

“It’s not near the Jack that we’ve expected over the past couple of years,” Mooney said.

“From experience, 31 (age), 200-odd games as a forward, you do start to slow down. When you do start to slow down and you haven’t got the tricks or the tricks aren’t working, how do you find the ball?

“He’s not a big power marker, he gets the ball on the lead or with his tricks. If that’s drying up, then you have to start worrying where are the goals going to come from? He’s kicking poorly, poorly for a Jack Riewoldt, he’s (normally) one of the most beautiful kicks in the AFL.”

King, a two-time premiership player for North Melbourne, said Riewoldt’s legacy and character is unquestioned, but Damien Hardwick may have a challenge on his hands in 2020.

“I know he kicked five n a Grand Final, I know he’s been a wonderful servant and an absolute top liner and he’ll be a hall of famer for both Richmond and the AFL,” King said.

“This is not a go at Jack, but right now he just needs something... his smarts have always got him goals, but the step’s not quite there, the ability to shake an opponent is not quite there.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/theres-a-question-mark-over-jack-riewoldt-two-former-greats-consider-whats-next/news-story/1252b6fc6e51fe276f2b4bb63aef1c09

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3468 on: June 19, 2020, 02:17:30 AM »
Move him to the wing/hhf.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3469 on: June 19, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »
He needs better delivery ffs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3470 on: June 19, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Jack Riewoldt

Kane Cornes
SEN
19 June 2020

“Jack Riewoldt is a concern. He looks banged up, he looks like he can’t move. He can’t score from 35 metres out directly in front. He looks frustrated.

“His cheap shot on Sicily in the second quarter was un-Riewoldt-like.

“I think there are some concerns with the forward line as well.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/06/19/the-five-concerns-for-richmond/

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3471 on: June 19, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
Easy media day for Cornes after last night’s game. Investigative journalism at its best. Reckon he’d have a pre-school poster of the alphabet above his computer.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #3472 on: June 21, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
I didn’t disagree with anything Cornes said.

If we aren’t playing good we deserve the criticism no matter who it’s from.

Like last year we need to turn it around. Thursday night was absolute rubbish from the whole team.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3473 on: June 21, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
No-one wins 22 games, in fact no-one has ever played 25 perfect games in a row.
We won a flag on the back of a half a dozen 7 goal belting.

Criticism of 1 bad loss is about as relevant as Kane Cornes
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3474 on: June 22, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »
I didn’t disagree with anything Cornes said.

If we aren’t playing good we deserve the criticism no matter who it’s from.

Like last year we need to turn it around. Thursday night was absolute rubbish from the whole team.

Well said.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3475 on: June 22, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »
Lynch started last year like a busted VW beetle and everyone including Cornes was potting him. Then he grew into a Porsche

Reiwoldt has started this year like a busted VW beetle and everyone including Cornes is potting him. Then......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3476 on: June 23, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »
Robbo: Star Tiger ‘lacking the motivation’ to play in season 2020

June 23, 2020
Matt Balmer
FOX SPORTS

So far this season, the three-time Coleman Medallist has managed just three goals, as the Tigers find themselves outside the top-eight after three rounds.

With the 31-year-old out of form, Tom Lynch has been forced to shoulder the load inside 50 for the Tigers.

“I think Jack’s lacking the motivation to play football at the moment,” Robinson explained said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I’ve thought that for about eight weeks, (from) conversations and interviews with Jack throughout that time, he is symbolic of the Tigers.

“Jack Riewoldt is a very gregarious figure, he’s up and about, he’s laughing. We’re not seeing that. He has lost his edge to play competitive football.

“He’d be thinking ‘nah, nah I’m alright’. He’s lost his edge and he’s not the only one. They’re getting beaten up in parts of the game.”

Champion Brisbane Lions forward Jonathan Brown outlined how a number of older key forwards across the competition were at risk of falling off a cliff in terms of their performance.

”The lack of team training, that effects key forwards the most,” he said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“They rely on what goes on up the field. (Tom) Hawkins, (Jack) Riewoldt and (Josh) Kennedy are all in the danger zone, the cliff is coming.

“The cliff is at 30 years of age as a key forward and that is a troubling trend early on. I’m backing it in that sides are just not going as well with their ball movements.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-richmond-jack-riewoldt-mark-robinson-key-forwards-afl-goals-leading-goalkicker-coleman-medal/news-story/9699095129fdbf2b63bc14bfdfea7e10

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3477 on: June 25, 2020, 01:08:14 AM »
Caro on Footy Classified mentioned that Jack has done a lot of soul searching this week (as others have at Punt Rd) and she hopes with this week being the Maddie game and him being vice-captain that Jack will get himself up for the game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3478 on: June 25, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
Dimma talking about Jack today:

-----------------------------------

Hardwick was less concerned with triple Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt's form despite him kicking a total of three goals and averaging fewer than eight disposals.

"Once again, our ball movement will certainly help," he said.

"People are quick to jump on a champion's back – people forget he kicked five goals in the Grand Final, on the biggest stage on earth, so he's a very good player.

"The key forwards, in general, have been struggling throughout the League at the moment, so we're not too worried about it. The sky's certainly not falling down, from our point of view."

Source: AFL website

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3479 on: June 25, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
Lynch started last year like a busted VW beetle and everyone including Cornes was potting him. Then he grew into a Porsche

Reiwoldt has started this year like a busted VW beetle and everyone including Cornes is potting him. Then......
;D

Jack also mentioned before round 2 that he had dropped some bulk over the lockdown to prolong his career. That could be playing a part too. He may need a few weeks to readjust.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd