Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 461246 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3495 on: July 08, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
Knighter I don’t know if you have read anything about our ‘17 flag but a large part of our success that year was the players adopting a mindset of being open, honest and “vulnerable” around each other.

The old school notion of always being a tough guy and showing no emotion is kinda dated man...

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3496 on: July 08, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »
Knighter I don’t know if you have read anything about our ‘17 flag but a large part of our success that year was the players adopting a mindset of being open, honest and “vulnerable” around each other.

The old school notion of always being a tough guy and showing no emotion is kinda dated man...

Yeh I get that and that’s fine when everyone is in a positive mindset it’s easy to adopt. I stand by my view though that as VC Riewoldt needs to be projecting a positive attitude to everyone In the hub to ensure his teammates feel similarly. His body language and words are the complete opposite and I don’t see that from other leaders at the club. Under pressure people often revert to type and we are seeing that with Jack

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3497 on: July 08, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
OK, let's just force players to tow the party line and say exactly what is expected at all times, even during unprecedented pandemics.

That’s a leaders job. The leader falls apart and it gives an excuse for everyone to. Compare the Dimma interview on 360 the night before with Jacks. They are chalk and cheese. I would be surprised if the club hasn’t spoken to Jack today and told him to be more positive or drop his media gigs

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3498 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »
wowee, it's amazing how quickly people jump on our own players.

Jack was asked a question and he answered honestly.

All he said was that he is concerned about his young family. Is that so bad? He never said that he feels hard done by or worse off than anyone else.

People always complain about players being 'robots' in the media, but as soon as they show personality or speak their mind, they get jumped on.

Some people must live perfect lives the way they criticise others....

Willy, I think you reply was in part directed at my comments

I wasn't trying to be critical of Jack, I actually applaud him being so open and I really do feel for him. It would be bloody tough. I have watched the interview in full and it was easy to see he simply misses his wife and little girl

But people have being going through what he is going through since the pandemic started. Families being apart for extended periods is just another harsh reality of this cruel virus.

AFL360 and the media are reporting it as something that is just happening to AFL players because of the hubs. It isn't and that was the point I was trying to make; albeit probably not as well as I could have.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3499 on: July 08, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »
Robbo: AFL players need compassion and support, not cheap shots from the outer.

Whacking AFL players is becoming an obsession and it's wrong. When Richmond's Jack Riewoldt spoke his truth on AFL 360 on Tuesday night, about how he cried as he departed Melbourne for hub land, the response from some people was heartless.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/robbo-afl-players-need-compassion-and-support-not-cheap-shots-from-the-outer/news-story/96446945fcebccdcf3d2ef940273b5bf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3500 on: July 09, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
'Absolutely hammered': Tearful star warned

By Tim Elbra
Nine
9 July 2020

Richmond veteran Jack Riewoldt has set himself up for major backlash by revealing deep misgivings about joining a Gold Coast hub, AFL great Matthew Lloyd says.

Riewoldt admitted that he cried when farewelling his wife and one-year-old daughter and said that he would be second-guessing his decision to leave his family throughout his time in Queensland. The Tigers were forced out by Victoria's new COVID-19 crackdown, along with the state's nine other clubs.

Lloyd said that Riewoldt had given his critics immediate ammunition if he failed to aim up while playing out of the hub. Richmond sit 11th on the ladder and must revive their premiership defence with a list beset by injuries and hub withdrawals.

"We all love the honesty of players and they sort of give us something and we whack them down a little bit," Lloyd said on Footy Classified.

"But I think what will happen ... we saw with [West Coast coach] Adam Simpson, where he spoke about, 'We want an end date or we're going home'; and because his team didn't play well, got absolutely hammered.

"I think [that will be] the case possibly with Jack Riewoldt. The point he made, 'Why am I here? I'm going to keep asking that question'.

"If Jack Riewoldt doesn't perform, I think that interview will be played a little bit, saying, 'Is his heart in it? Did he want to be there?'"

Columnist Caroline Wilson said that Riewoldt's hub comments may have been tone deaf given the current lock-down situation in Victoria, amid spiralling coronavirus numbers.

"I love the honesty too, that's what Richmond built a premiership on, admitting their vulnerabilities," Wilson said on Footy Classified.

"But I think in a week when Victorians are locked up in housing commission flats and can't leave, I think it was unfortunate that he talked about a shoebox of a room and a window that was very small."

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said that Riewoldt, who admitted he "cried like a baby" while leaving his family, was "half jocular and sending things up" during the contentious interview.

"But what he has to be careful in saying that, Jack, is exactly as you (Wilson) said: we are seeing people being locked up, we are seeing jobs going off a cliff," McGuire said.

"And when players say, 'I don't even know why I'm doing it', there's a pretty easy solution for it and that is when you go into a depression, as we're heading into ... in the old days when the footballers played, they played with broken arms rather than give up their spot and that's where people [don't accept complaints].

"Can I just say this: 750 other players have been pretty good in this."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/jack-riewoldt-hub-concerns-kane-cornes-matthew-lloyd-backlash-warning/e691e235-b7c0-4838-a71e-771c2d321a89

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3501 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:58 PM »
Bloody hell, he only said he had misgivings about leaving his wife and kid behind...

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3502 on: July 09, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
I am on the side that it was a great thing for Jack to be open and honest on his feelings on being in the hub and so far away from his wife and family.

It is also a great thing for him to openly show some feelings as a leader. Doing it this way he can make it alright for any of the younger less inexperienced players to voice their own feelings and for Jack to offer advice or get the right people to talk to the younger player.

Proof will be in the performance of the team over the coming 6 weeks.

I fully expect the team to be up and about over that time frame

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3503 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »
Jack will take over as captain while Cotch is out injured.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3504 on: July 10, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »
Tigers star backs more games in AFL hubs

Jason Phelan
theRoar.com.au
10 July 2020

Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt is open to the idea of playing more games with shorter turnarounds while in an AFL hub, but the two-time premiership star says the Tigers might need to call for reinforcements.

The move, possibly resulting in teams playing games off four-day breaks, gathered momentum on Thursday as league officials pondered the ramifications of Victoria’s worsening COVID-19 outlook.

The reigning premiers and the other nine Victorian teams scrambled to leave the state early this week as the AFL sought to overcome the latest roadblock of the troubled season.

Just days after arriving in the Queensland hub, with the Tigers to isolate for 14 days, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews reintroduced strict lockdown measures.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan had promised players they would be away for a maximum of 32 days.

The league is contemplating cramming more games into that period to give greater flexibility should the season suffer further coronavirus interruptions.

“There is obviously a lot of water to go under the bridge but, in principle, I think we would beokay with playing games off four or five-day breaks,” Riewoldt told his Balls and Bumpers podcast.

“Maybe after three in a row, you might start to look for the end of the tunnel.

“I think there are a few complexities to it … we were asked to bring a smaller list up here because more people on the ground is more cost.

“Whilst trying to do the right thing, we have left some players back in Melbourne and two of those players are Bachar Houli and Shane Edwards, then we’ve got a few injured guys.

“We’d have to ask the question about getting guys up here, but we have got pretty limited facilities and how do they fit in with that?

“Ground availability is another one and can grounds withstand playing games of footy nearly every second day?”

Riewoldt, who left his infant daughter and wife in Melbourne, believed the league could broker a new deal with the clubs to extend their stay away from home if it meant saving the season.

“In a season that’s already running out of time, it might be the most sensible thing to keep the players up here and try to knock over as many games as you can,” he said.

“It’s pretty fluid.”

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/10/tigers-star-backs-more-games-in-afl-hubs/

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3505 on: July 10, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
Jack will take over as captain while Cotch is out injured.

Knighter won’t be happy.....

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3506 on: July 10, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
Of those who have had 10+ shots at goal, Jack this year is the 7th least accurate at 45%.

Player                        Club         Games Goals Behinds Shots Shot Accuracy%
1. Jordan De Goey     Collingwood        5   2   8   10   20   
2. Hugh McCluggage  Brisbane             6   3   9   12   25   
3. Aaron Hall             North Melb          5   3   7   10   30   
4. Bayley Fritsch        Melbourne          4   4   7   11   36.4   
5. Lincoln McCarthy    Brisbane            6   4   6   10   40   
6. Lachie Neale          Brisbane             6   7   9   16   43.8   
7. Jack Riewoldt        Richmond            5   5   6   11   45.5

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-afls-top-10-most-accurate-and-inaccurate-goalkickers-so-far-this-season-42671/

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3507 on: July 11, 2020, 10:56:14 PM »
That kick that fell short was pretty woeful

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3508 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:58 AM »
Get on with it Jack to much moaning and whingeing for me and media crap.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #3509 on: July 12, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »
Is playing like an old man I couldn’t be stuffed woeful footy.

He’s not playing as a leader and should not be captain.

Needs to have a good hard look at himself. He’s been terrible so far this year.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:40:24 PM by Tigeritis™©® »
The club that keeps giving.