Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 454488 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3480 on: June 25, 2020, 10:18:38 PM »
Dimma made a good point there. Key forwards across the league in general have largely struggled this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3481 on: June 26, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »
Dimma made a good point there. Key forwards across the league in general have largely struggled this year.
Cornes used statistical evidence to point out that some of the top key forwards around the league are indeed struggling.

“Here are the damning numbers for the key forwards through the first three games...

“Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling at West Coast have combined for just five goals.

“Tom Lynch and the out-of-form Jack Riewoldt have kicked just seven at Richmond.

“Coleman Medallist Jeremy Cameron and Jeremy Finlayson have kicked nine at GWS.

“Tex Walker and Darcy Fogarty at Adelaide just six.

“And Aaron Naughton, who started well last night before limping off injured, and new recruit Josh Bruce, who looks out of shape, have slotted just four between them for the Bulldogs.

“Coming into Round 4 GWS six-footer Harry Perryman was the Coleman Medal race leader with just eight. Sydney’s Tom Papley snagged four against the Dogs last night and is now on top with 10. Papley is 176 centimetres.

“What is going on with the key forwards in 2020? They used to be so valuable.”

There are a number of key forwards just out of the top few with five goals so far this season including North Melbourne’s Ben Brown, Giants star Cameron, Port Adelaide’s Charlie Dixon, Carlton’s Levi Casboult, and the King twins Max and Ben from St Kilda and Gold Coast respectively.

However, the overall scoreboard impact appears to be less this season considering nine of the top 10 goal kickers in 2019 were key forwards.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/06/26/what-has-happened-to-the-afls-key-forwards/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3482 on: June 27, 2020, 03:35:00 AM »
Jack Riewoldt and the Tigers are in a funk. Can they snap out of it?

AFL 360 host Mark Robinson believes Richmond star Jack Riewoldt's slump goes down to his lack of motivation ...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/jack-riewoldt-and-the-tigers-are-in-a-funk-can-they-snap-out-of-it/news-story/8cec47e618f0520c9e527aff7a808bc3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3483 on: June 27, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
Admittedly quiet over the first three rounds, Jack Riewoldt has invited scrutiny because of the lofty standards he has set for himself over the past few years. It's simplistic to say his poor form was a reason for the Tigers' early season slip but it also isn't totally inaccurate. He's a barometer. On Saturday against the Saints he was down on his usual input again but at least seemed involved more, not anonymous.

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3484 on: July 08, 2020, 04:24:01 AM »
Star ‘second-guessing’ AFL hub move

James McKern
Herald-Sun
8 July 2020

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt has opened up on the difficulties of AFL hub life after departing Melbourne and leaving behind his wife and one-year-old daughter.

The Tigers left Victoria on Monday and headed to Queensland where they’ll be stationed for their next five games along with five other Victorian clubs.

Fellow Tigers stars Bachar Houli and Shane Edwards opted not to join the team in the hub due to family commitments and the decision to stay with the team is one Riewoldt says he is now second guessing.

Victorian clubs got out of the state a day before the New South Wales and Victorian border was closed with Melbourne then entering stage three restrictions for six weeks after the latest spike in coronavirus cases.

“I won’t lie, I probably have second guessed a little bit coming up here,” the 31-year-old admitted.

“Leaving yesterday was really tough obviously with Poppy only being very young and Carly as well just leaving her at home and knowing what she has to go through by herself as a single parent, there’s certainly a weight on my shoulders about that.

“It’s the decision we came to together but like everything in this current climate it shifts hourly and unfortunately we find ourselves in a position where for the next six weeks in Victoria we’re going back to the lockdown.

“Unfortunately there isn’t much I can do up here at the moment bar just try and organise things as much as I can from afar.”

Riewoldt said having to say goodbye to his wife and daughter was unbelievably difficult and a moment that will continue to weigh on him.

“I cried like a baby, which unashamedly it’s the one thing I’m going to struggle with more than anything else,” he said.

“I think over the whole period here I’ll constantly ask myself ‘Why am I here? What am I actually doing leaving my young family to come up here and play a game?’

“But the club has given me so much over my career that I’m truly indebted to them and that’s why I’m here doing my bit for my football club while trying to do my bit for my family too.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldt-secondguessing-hub-life-after-leaving-family-behind/news-story/b4e0217700509dee59e25d5abdedcc33

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3485 on: July 08, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
While understand what Jack is saying and how hard it is. And I do feel for him

This is not something new.

Others in the community have been dealing with this since March/April

There are a lot of FIFO people in the mine industry who are stuck in WA for example and haven't been able to get home for months to see their wives, partners, kids.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3486 on: July 08, 2020, 10:42:46 AM »
Jack making it all about him again. What a surprise

This sort of attitude will bring down the whole group.

I wish he’d just shut the hell up

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3487 on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
wowee, it's amazing how quickly people jump on our own players.

Jack was asked a question and he answered honestly.

All he said was that he is concerned about his young family. Is that so bad? He never said that he feels hard done by or worse off than anyone else.

People always complain about players being 'robots' in the media, but as soon as they show personality or speak their mind, they get jumped on.

Some people must live perfect lives the way they criticise others....

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3488 on: July 08, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »

All he said was that he is concerned about his young family. Is that so bad? He never said that he feels hard done by or worse off than anyone else.

People always complain about players being 'robots' in the media, but as soon as they show personality or speak their mind, they get jumped on.

Compare his attitude to Hardwick who has left his wife and 3 kids at home.  Dimma almost certainly has reservations also but his attitude is lets get up to Gold Coast and make the most of it.  Thats leadership - putting his personal circumstances and feelings aside to help the mindset of the whole team.  Jack is being honest but it won't be helping.  His leadership from the time Hubs were mentioned as a possibility has been poor.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3489 on: July 08, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »
OK, let's just force players to tow the party line and say exactly what is expected at all times, even during unprecedented pandemics.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3490 on: July 08, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »

Compare his attitude to Hardwick who has left his wife and 3 kids at home.  Dimma almost certainly has reservations also but his attitude is lets get up to Gold Coast and make the most of it.  Thats leadership - putting his personal circumstances and feelings aside to help the mindset of the whole team.  Jack is being honest but it won't be helping.  His leadership from the time Hubs were mentioned as a possibility has been poor.

MASSIVE difference between three teenage kids on the one hand and a 12 month old being left with a pregnant wife and no family in the same State on the other.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3491 on: July 08, 2020, 02:45:51 PM »

MASSIVE difference between three teenage kids on the one hand and a 12 month old being left with a pregnant wife and no family in the same State on the other.

100%

We have 3 kids. 6, 3 and 7m.

I always get home ASAP to help my fiance out. Having the kids is the hardest job by a mile. Work is a holiday.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3492 on: July 08, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »
Tim Watson's advice for Jack Riewoldt and all players entering hubs

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
8 July 2020

Tim Watson believes senior players who take a negative mindset into the quarantine hubs will have a large impact on the performance of the group as a whole.

While Watson has no issues whatsoever with Riewoldt taking that stance, he hopes the star forward has a positive mindset around the younger players.

“I don’t have an issue with anything Jack had to say. I think Jack is just being brutally honest about his feelings at the moment and he still went up there,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“The only thing I would say about that … we know about the hub life from other clubs and we heard Jarrad Schofield, one of the assistants at Port Adelaide, saying how it significantly helped Port because of the attitude they had and they embraced the life and it gifted the opportunity to bond together as a group of players like they wouldn’t have been able to do.

“So the only thing I would say to Jack about his attitude is how he can influence other players with his attitude.

“It’s fine that Jack has that feeling, but it’s how he conducts himself while he’s there in that hub that has the potential to take the players in one direction or another direction because he’s one of the senior and more mature players.”

Garry Lyon agreed saying Riewoldt would be well aware of what he needs to be in front of the group.

“I don’t have one issue with it. He’s opening up, he’s doing a media interview, he’s giving an honest insight into his mindset and putting it out there knowing he’ll be judged by some,” he said.

“What he then delivers to his playing group in private is a whole different situation and he’d probably say the same thing.

“’Look it’s hard and I’ve struggled and I’ve had tears and I’m going to miss my kids, but let me tell you this right now I’m here and committed and let’s make the most of it’.”

Jack’s cousin Nick Riewoldt also spoke on AFL 360 and stated the importance of players remaining positive and attacking the hub period with an opportunistic mindset.

“You’re looking for it and as soon as you get a whiff of any of that sentiment – this might be a bridge too far – you’re all over it because it becomes infectious. Misery loves company,” Riewoldt said.

“There is an opportunity here for a team that’s able to, because I don’t think we’ve ever had a season where the mind is such an important weapon as it is currently, so if you are able to capture that possibility, opportunity mindset – ‘what is possible for us? If we’re the only ones who take a positive mindset to this six-week period, we could achieve something remarkable’.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/07/tim-watsons-advice-for-jack-riewoldt-and-all-players-entering-hubs/

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3493 on: July 08, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
Spot on Whispy - so much for all the leadership work the club has done in the last few years - obviously Jacky wasn't really buying in

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3494 on: July 08, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »
Lol.

Yes, such terrible leadership speaking honestly about his concern for his family during a pandemic!

Off with his head!