Author Topic: NRL thread  (Read 56453 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: NRL - Melbourne Storm
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
NRL were dumb to schedule the game at the same time 90k were going to be at the 'G and when the Wallabies were playing their opener in the Rugby World Cup.

So when should it have been played?

They played last Sunday night so they were given a 7 day break
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
NRL were dumb to schedule the game at the same time 90k were going to be at the 'G and when the Wallabies were playing their opener in the Rugby World Cup.

So when should it have been played?

They played last Sunday night so they were given a 7 day break
Play it Sunday night rather than the arvo where it clashes. Advertise then for fans who went to the 'G during the day to then head over to AAMI Park and follow the Storm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2011, 03:33:29 AM »
What was Gallop thinking calling Storm fans "terrorists" and saying he never understood the whole passion line.

http://www.news.com.au/national/rugby-league-boss-david-gallop-likens-melbourne-fans-to-terrorists/story-e6frfkvr-1226135416867

How do you support a club without passion? ??? What an idiot!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
What was Gallop thinking calling Storm fans "terrorists" and saying he never understood the whole passion line.

http://www.news.com.au/national/rugby-league-boss-david-gallop-likens-melbourne-fans-to-terrorists/story-e6frfkvr-1226135416867

I can't believe I am about to say this but...

In fairness to Gallop he didn't call Storm supporters terrorists... he used the term in an analogy, granted an absolutely shocking one but he didn't directly call them terrorists.... another example of very poor journalism....

And just on the booing and I know that I am very much in the minority here but I was actually embarrassed by the booing on Sunday .... had no problem with him being booed when he walked on the ground but it went over the top

Because IMHO the actual moment for recognising the achievement of what this club has done in the last 12 months got lost with all the booing - people seemed focused on that rather than what the achievemebnt is.

I just thought it was disappointing that when the Storm guys were holding the trophies aloft the cheering wasn't as loud as the booing ....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »

I can't believe I am about to say this but...

In fairness to Gallop he didn't call Storm supporters terrorists... he used the term in an analogy, granted an absolutely shocking one but he didn't directly call them terrorists.... another example of very poor journalism....

And just on the booing and I know that I am very much in the minority here but I was actually embarrassed by the booing on Sunday .... had no problem with him being booed when he walked on the ground but it went over the top

Because IMHO the actual moment for recognising the achievement of what this club has done in the last 12 months got lost with all the booing - people seemed focused on that rather than what the achievemebnt is.

I just thought it was disappointing that when the Storm guys were holding the trophies aloft the cheering wasn't as loud as the booing ....
Fair enough WP but obviously the booing got to Gallop for him to get flusted and use the terrorist analogy. In any case the "passion" comment was equally odd. It sounded like someone who didn't understand Melbourne sporting culture which is built on a passion for sport. You can be pretty sure other football codes will now further emphasize how they love the passion of their fanbases at games.

There is one-eyed irrationalism when it comes to following football clubs (hello OER  ;D ). No doubt some Storm fans rightly or wrongly believe a number of Sydney-based NRL clubs were also cheating the salary cap. The same thing happened in the AFL with some Carlton fans whinging about how they were singled out harshly unlike say Essendon. IMO Gallop was naive if he wasn't expecting an angry reception just a year after the salary cap scandal. The pain for Storm fans would've still been raw.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
Fair enough WP but obviously the booing got to Gallop for him to get flusted and use the terrorist analogy. In any case the "passion" comment was equally odd. It sounded like someone who didn't understand Melbourne sporting culture which is built on a passion for sport. You can be pretty sure other football codes will now further emphasize how they love the passion of their fanbases at games.

Agree about the "passion" comment. Especially when you consider the NRL has had a massive focus shift in the last 5 years regarding getting people to become members of their clubs is not encouraging "passion" in your club  :-\

Not only that what makes it stranger still is that the NRL has some pretty passionate supporters for their own. Hasn't Gallop ever heard of South Sydney, Manly, St George & Brisbane to name a few ...don't try and tell those fans they are not passionate  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Not only that what makes it stranger still is that the NRL has some pretty passionate supporters for their own. Hasn't Gallop ever heard of South Sydney, Manly, St George & Brisbane to name a few ...don't try and tell those fans they are not passionate  ;D
Under 14k went to the Manly vs Nth Qld final at the SFS. The North Melbourne of rugby league lol.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
Under 14k went to the Manly vs Nth Qld final at the SFS. The North Melbourne of rugby league lol.

In that regard Manly fans are like Tiger fans ..we wont go to Docklands...Manly supporters didn't wnat to go to the SFS...dont agree with it but that's their passionate think LOL  :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
Just noticed my 9yo daughter bought home from school a "'Melbourne Storm Bag, Cost $1.00
Contained cap and other goodies.
She then went on to say that players from the Storm have attended her school twice in the last 2 months conducting clinics. etc.
She goes to school in Essendon,
She then went on to say that Essendon has only been once with 2 ""dud players"" that she hadnt heard of.
Guess, what, she now wants to go and watch the storm play now

Jack, its the polar opposite up here. GWS and the Swans are far more active in the schools and the community than any of the Rugby league clubs.
I think the incumbents in their respective regions tend to rest on their laurels whereas the new kids in town are always out to impress and convert as many people as they can.

To WP, Commiserations on the Cowboy's. My Dragons are still in it but only by the skin of their teeth. I can't see us beating the Bronco's tomorrow but I sure hope we do. It would be an absolute killer way for Darren Lockyer to go out.  :pray

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »
Off to the Prelim Final tonight

If I run into Mr Gallop I'll pass on our best regards  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

You terrorist you  ;D

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
Live into Melbourne on GTV9  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

You terrorist you  ;D

With passion  ;D

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
Melb Storm lost.
Warriors win 20 - 12

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
Melb Storm lost.
Warriors win 20 - 12
The Storm's gameplan seemed to be take 5 tackles then a useless kick straight to a NZ player. The Storm are normally very creative and keep the ball alive but tonight they were so dull and predictable. Only have themselves to blame for losing.