Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 217529 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #645 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
The Club has made a $1 million out of him so how can it be bad.

It would only be bad because depending on it's severity it could disrupt our season significantly and jeopardise our finals chances.
The onflowing ramifications of that could cost top jobs at the club.

Still I am praying it doesn't come to that and instead hope he'll help us make the 8. 8)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #646 on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »
expenditure:

Cousins' salary:   $150k

revenue:

Membership rise: 5000 x $150 (on average) = $750k
Merchandise related: 100s? x $100 #32 guernseys = $10ks

If you include other revenue streams that has increased due to Cousins plus future gates receipt increases thanks to people wanting to watch him play, Cousins will probably add at the very least $1 million to the club's bottom line this year. That's incredible when every club has budgeted for zero increase across all revenue streams.

agree with all the above,

The thing that cant be quantified is the fact that since his recruitment he has been in the paper approximately 40 times. So that is 40 times since december 9th that the richmond sponsors have been featured. For Dick Smith to buy that advertsing space would cost at least 500k, ON ITS OWN .

Make no mistake regardless of whether he falls of the perch tommorrow, cousins has been a goldmine.

If he actually plays some competitive football ( which now seems more and more likely ) its just going to be an absolute bonus

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #647 on: February 24, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »

Make no mistake regardless of whether he falls of the perch tommorrow, cousins has been a goldmine.

I have tbh I was initially very sceptical about bringing him on board but Ben Cousin's recruitment for what it cost/are paying him is a stroke of genius.

I doubt even in their wildest dreams would the club believe Cuz would make such a financial impression on the coffers.

As you say at a time when others are tightening their belts it's nothing short of brilliant for Richmond. :) :) :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #648 on: February 25, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
ANDREW BEWS: Footy comebacks rarely a fairytale
Geelong Advertsider
February 25th, 2009

HISTORY would suggest that Ben Cousins faces a tough challenge to walk back into AFL footy after a year off.

You only have to look at some of the failed comebacks of past years to be reminded how quickly the game can pass by its champions.

Tony 'Plugger' Lockett came out of retirement to play for Sydney and pulled the pin before the season was out. Wayne Carey looked a shadow of the player he once was when he played for Adelaide. Tim Watson ended up a bench player for the Bombers when he made his comeback.

Possibly the only two players who were able to return to somewhere near their best were former team mates of mine, Mark Bairstow and Gary Ablett Sr.

Bairstow had a season off and then came back, but in my opinion, he took a good 12 months to regain the quality and standard that he had set previously. His was not a disastrous comeback because he still had age on his side. The same with Gazza. Ablett was in his late 20s when he first retired and therefore did not take as long to rediscover his magic.

Cousins is 31 this year.

Although Richmond fans are hailing him as the great white hope, it has to remembered that he has had an enforced 12 months out of the game which followed a season with West Coast where he barely played due to ongoing injury and discipline issues.

In effect, he has had almost two years off playing at a time when the game has evolved super quick.

In 2006, when the Eagles won their premiership, the game was played with a heavy emphasis on defence. The game, thanks largely to Geelong's attacking mindset, has turned full circle since.

Game patterns have changed. Cousins may find the well dry where he once hunted up his kicks. All the training in the world will not make up for lack of match play in the modern era.

The test for Ben will be how long it takes before he regains his game sense.

Tomorrow night he gets his first chance for the Tigers in the NAB Cup. It will be the perfect opportunity for him to find his feet in a game where there is some pressure, but the stakes are not at their highest.

I am sure the Richmond coaching staff and Cousins have realistic expectations about what role he will play, particularly early in the season. But the problem may lie with the expectations placed upon both him and the club by fans and the media alike.

Whether he likes it or not, he has become the face of the Tigers.

His profile is higher than Nathan Brown, Nathan Foley and especially the skipper Chris Newman. Only Matthew Richardson would probably outshine him in the eyes of Tiger fans.

So what can we expect from Cousins this year?

Personally, I don't think we will see him running around like a headless chook not knowing what to do or where to go. He is a natural footballer. I do think, however, he will play with a conservative approach to the game and just have a role within the team structure, rather than be the star. Foley, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin, Newman, Jake King, Kane Johnson and Shane Tuck will continue to be the engine room. Cousins will simply add to the mix.

A good example of how the Tigers may use Cousins this season could be in the way Hawthorn managed Shane Crawford over the past few years.

Crawford was the Hawks' running machine and ball magnet for over a decade, much like Cousins was at West Coast. But in his final two seasons, he spent a lot of time on the bench and also found himself playing a lot through the defensive area as a free-wheeling midfielder. He often found himself without an opponent due to clever rotations and remained very effective, without being the dominant force that he once had been.

That management of Crawford undoubtedly allowed him to get through the final couple of seasons without breaking down. It almost convinced him that he could go around again.

The days of Cousins playing 90 per cent midfield and collecting 35-plus touches per week are over.

His recruitment to the Tigers is simply icing on the cake. He is no longer the main event and the quicker Tiger fans and the media realise that, the better it will be for him.

I hope he has a fulfilling last few years of football and can find his place as a cog in the wheel at Richmond. My concern will be how long his body can handle the bashing and crashing that AFL football dishes out week in, week out.

His last appearances for West Coast were marred by soft tissue injuries which he simply couldn't escape from. And history will show you that most older players that start having hamstring problems reach the end sooner rather than later. And it happens to the very best. Leigh Matthews and Michael Voss spring to mind.

Seeing the great Plugger suffer the indignity of riding the exercise bike on the boundary line for the Swans in his last year was tough for all footy sentimentalists. There would be nothing worse for Ben than to be in the hands of the medicos constantly, or even worse, running around at Coburg if all doesn't go to plan.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/02/25/53225_geelong_sports.html

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #649 on: February 25, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
you idiot bews

if you had half a brain you would realise he has allready done his job, anything he cpontributes on field is just gunna be a bonus

Ox

« Reply #650 on: February 25, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
wtf is wrong with people?

Is it idiocy,jealousy or both ?

Maybe they all want to appear better than ben,
which would suggest they are un-confessed drug addicts

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #651 on: February 25, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
He's still a standout at training by all accounts.

Old saying goes you play as you train.

I am expecting him to be a significant contributor as long as his body holds together.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #652 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Gary Ablett challenges to comeback kid Ben Cousins
Michael Warner | February 26, 2009

FALLEN footy great Gary Ablett has urged Ben Cousins not to blow his AFL comeback.

Ablett said Cousins would carry the hopes of many when he runs on to the ground for new team Richmond tonight after two years in the wilderness battling drugs.

"A man's character isn't measured by whether or not he fails but in how he responds to it," Ablett told the Herald Sun .

"I genuinely hope that Ben's comeback will be a successful and enjoyable journey for him.

"But I also think it's a chance for Ben to show others that negatives can be turned into positives.

"Although we all fail and make mistakes, with the right response, attitude and support we can get back up again and contribute to society in a very unique and fruitful way.

"As human beings, it's through the valleys of life that we grow - not the mountain tops.

"It's often throughout the most difficult times in life that we learn the most valuable lessons."

Cousins, 30, will play in his first AFL match in 538 days when he lines up for the Tigers in the NAB Cup quarter-final clash with Collingwood at Telstra Dome.

Up to 45,000 fans are tipped to pack the ground and hundreds of thousands more will tune into the TV broadcast for one of footy's most anticipated returns.

But Ablett, the former Geelong champ who has admitted to his own battle with drugs, warned Cousins' journey back to the top was far from over.

"I hope that people don't expect too much from him because I think it may take him some time to find his feet," he said.

Ablett led a troubled life after retiring in 1996.

In 2000, Geelong woman Alicia Horan, 20, died of a drug overdose in his hotel room.

The former Cats champion was cleared by an inquest, but later fined $1500 for using and possessing heroin and ecstasy.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25107422-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #653 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »
Why Ben Cousins is worth a punt
Herald-Sun Editorial
February 26, 2009

BEN Cousins is already a role model. But not for the thousands of young footy fans who will watch him in the blockbuster clash between Richmond and Collingwood at Telstra Dome tonight.

That is still to come and he has to earn it. But he is already an inspiration to those like him who are trying to recover from the the enormous self-harm of drug abuse.

Ben Cousins, Richmond recruit and former West Coast Eagles champion, is a confessed addict still treading an uncertain path to a full recovery.

But it is his honesty and the Richmond Football Club's willingness to take a punt on football's bad boy that might make it a success story.

Cousins is fit, motivated and grateful for a chance he did not think would come his way after being suspended by the AFL last season and still being troubled by drugs.

The depths of his addiction were in Western Australia, among dubious friends and criminal hangers-on as he descended into increasingly bizarre behaviour.

He dived into the Swan River in Perth rather than explain himself to police when they pulled him up in his car.

He flew to Los Angeles for rehabilitation after being arrested and put in handcuffs following another incident.

He was discovered weakened and distraught after taking drugs instead of going to recovery sessions at a high-priced clinic and returned to Australia in despair and disgrace.

Since then, this once superb athlete appears to have turned his life around with the help of his new teammates at Richmond.

He will run on to the ground at Telstra Dome tonight in front of what is likely to be a sellout crowd for a pre-season game.

Cousins must show the fans he is worth the trouble, that he still has the skills and, above all, the character that made him one of the AFL's elite players.

He must show people battling drug addiction that you can come back from the brink, and he must earn a place as a role model for the kids who already idolise him as No. 32 for the Tigers.

The long haul is the real test for Ben Cousins and we sincerely hope he makes it.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25107064-24218,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #654 on: February 26, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Legends, politicians laud Ben Cousins's second chance
Michael Warner | February 26, 2009

FOOTY greats and political leaders have lauded the return of fallen AFL superstar Ben Cousins.

The 30-year-old former West Coast Eagle returns to the football field for the first time in 18 months in tonight's Richmond-Collingwood NAB Cup clash at Telstra Dome.

Premier John Brumby led the chorus of well-wishers yesterday, saying he hoped the match marked a new beginning. "The footy season ahead represents a great opportunity for Ben Cousins. I wish him very well," Mr Brumby said.

Legendary four-time Richmond premiership coach Tommy Hafey revealed he had met Cousins in recent days and was impressed by the midfielder's attitude. "He's been lovely whenever I've been connected to him or in his company. We're in with a big chance, the Tigers - Ben is going to give us a massive boost," Hafey said. "I'd be disappointed if we didn't finish fifth or sixth this year."

AFL legend Ron Barassi said Cousins and those closest to him had invested a lot of time and work into his rehabilitation.

"If he does win through it will be great for Ben and great for footy," Barassi said.

Former AFL boss Wayne Jackson said Cousins' return to the playing field would bring enormous pleasure to those who had helped him. "It's been a long, hard and difficult road for many people involved, including most of all the lad himself," he said.

"I pray that it's a significant milestone in the process that he's going through." Triple Brownlow medallist Bob Skilton said the Cousins story was an inspiration to other young Australians who had lost their way in life.

"He's a wonderful example to all those kids whose lives have gone off the rails. He looks a picture of fitness, he's a wonderful player and let's hope he can get back right back to that again," Skilton said.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu urged footy fans to treat Cousins like any other player.

"Good luck to Ben. He's been given an incredible opportunity and he owes it to a lot of people," he said.

Even colourful underworld identity Mick Gatto, an avid Collingwood supporter, offered his support to the 2005 Brownlow Medal winner yesterday.

"I wish the bloke well. And I just hope that people leave him alone now and stop interfering in his personal life," Mr Gatto said.

"What he does in his own time is his own business."

Cousins last played on September 7, 2007 in a losing final against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25107159-2862,00.html

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #655 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
funny the "age" running a story on how Tommy is disappointed the tigers picked him up, sure tommy isnt getting "old timers". :o

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #656 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
Its the back page of todays West Australian too....Hafey Blasts Ben.

More media cow poo

Unleash the tornado

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #657 on: February 26, 2009, 08:26:50 AM »
Poor guy - I feel sorry for him.  The pressure must be enormous.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #658 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
Hmmm, so Tommy Hafey blasts him in one paper, then in another says how lovely he is and might help us into the 8???
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #659 on: February 26, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »
Ben has the backing of Big Bad Bustling Barry which must be quiet a relief to him

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/72591/default.aspx
By Michael Rogers
 2:56 PM Thu 26 February, 2009
Barry Hall
Wed, Feb 25, 09SYDNEY Swans forward Barry Hall has no doubt that Ben Cousins will make a successful return to AFL football when he takes the field for Richmond against Collingwood in tonight’s NAB Cup game at Telstra Dome.

The hype about the former West Coast Eagle’s return from a year-long absence as he battled drug addiction has even made headlines in Sydney during the past week.   

“I guess there’s a little bit of pressure on him [because] everyone’s going to be watching,” Hall said before the Swans’ training session on Thursday afternoon.