Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 216549 times)

richmondrules

Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #615 on: February 11, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
Quote from: Schambles Quote

not sure on that Matto  i like your enthusiasim but even on a w/end with no other footy on i doubt if the tiges would pull a crowd of 20 grand even v the pies or dons 
but hey would be good for us here in the west to get to go see another RFC victory with out catching a plane
20000 might be a good crowd at Subi this year .I just had a look at West Coasts draw and they will be lucky to win two of their first ten.I can hear the calls for Wooshas head now.

I know this is NEVER NEVER going to happen but if Richmond played a "home game" at Subiaco Oval and Benny was playing- They would go close to filling the stadium.Even if we were playing Melbourne or Port.

not sure on that Matto  i like your enthusiasim but even on a w/end with no other footy on i doubt if the tiges would pull a crowd of 20 grand even v the pies or dons 
but hey would be good for us here in the west to get to go see another RFC victory with out catching a plane

Dear god. That's the worst quoting I have ever seen. You two are giving me a headache.  ;) :rollin

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #616 on: February 11, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
 take 2 asprin with a glass of water   have a deep breath sit back and relax  :P
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #617 on: February 11, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »

Dear god. That's the worst quoting I have ever seen. You two are giving me a headache.  ;) :rollin

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #618 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
Cousins to address football fans
Daile Pepper | February 11, 2009 - 10:24AM

New Richmond Football Club recruit Ben Cousins will touch down in Perth this week and make an appearance at the club's Friday night function for West Australian football fans.

Though Cousins is not playing in the NAB Cup match against the Fremantle Dockers this weekend, he is travelling with his team to Perth and will attend the club's cocktail party.

The function will be held in the Astral Ballroom at Burswood, allowing Cousins his first chance to speak publicly and thank West Australian football fans.

http://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle/cousins-to-address-football-fans-20090210-83ce.html

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
Have we sent his minder with him ?????

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #620 on: February 12, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »
Have we sent his minder with him ?????

The burly man is everywhere.   ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #621 on: February 14, 2009, 04:56:06 AM »
Even the Saints are using Cousins to get some media attention  :whistle....

Lyon down the law: Cousins inspires Saints
Caroline Wilson | February 14, 2009

BEN COUSINS and his dangerously expensive baggage never quite made it to Moorabbin but that did not stop the elusive anti-hero from leaving his footprint at the club that rejected him and his mark on the players who would have welcomed him.

Ross Lyon made sure of it. The late November morning after the St Kilda board - mindful of Cousins' decision to rid his body of all meaningful hair, an impending poor financial result and a nervous and heavily back-ended sponsorship agreement - decided that the player was not worth the risk.

The coach called his playing group into a meeting and told them: "If you were relying on a 31-year-old champion to come in and try to win you a premiership, then you are kidding yourselves."

Lyon singled out a number of players - among them Luke Ball, Justin Koschitzke, Nick Dal Santo, Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna and the Clarke brothers, Xavier and Raphael - and delivered a blunt message. Lift your work-rate, lift your game and you are all capable of becoming champions. Stop looking to others. Lyon even put the hard word on Sam Gilbert and young David Armitage.

"I think we've moved on," said Luke Ball this week of St Kilda's ultimately cameo role in the Cousins saga. "But the coach turned it onto us. He challenged a few of us and singled us out, me included. I didn't think he'd go that way.

"He put a lot of us into a bracket and he put it on us to improve rather than rely on a proven champion. He told a few of us that if we put in the work and had the right attitude we could be as good as Ben Cousins."

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt said Lyon was "dead right in what he was saying". "He (Cousins) was was never going to be our saviour and we were seduced by his talent.

"The club were very well-informed, they did a lot of due diligence and based on what they learned they made the right decision. The players don't resent that."

Lenny Hayes, like Riewoldt, was unashamedly excited at the prospect of lining up alongside Cousins. "You can't help but wonder," said the 29-year-old vice-captain. "I mean, geez, he is such a brilliant player and after all those years chasing him around. . .

"I wish him well. It would have been a tragedy if he had been lost to the game completely."

Added Riewoldt: "And that's where it was going. I'm glad it ended with him getting a club."

Lyon has never confirmed reports that he was unwilling to take a risk on Cousins, but he agreed that he was determined to end the debate swiftly once the board had acted.

"He was a panacea for us," said Lyon, "to get us to where we needed to go. But it was important they (the players) understood they couldn't rely on anyone else. That's the reality of the situation and I think it resonated through the group.

"Rob Harvey made himself what he was, no one helped him reach that ultimate level. Just like Ben Cousins. Daniel Kerr did it, Chris Judd did it.

"That's the onus on them; to elevate themselves to that level. There's a very talented group we have who are capable of that and I did single them out."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/lyon-down-the-law-cousins-inspires-saints/2009/02/13/1234028292458.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #622 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »
Yep the Saints have "moved on from Cousins" so much so they are still talking about him 3 months after they rejected him  :wallywink.

LOL the Clarke brothers being as good as Cousins  :rollin.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2009, 05:10:03 AM »
Ben Cousins' return fortnight away
Kim Hagdorn | February 15, 2009

RICHMOND recruit Ben Cousins is expected to make his long-anticipated comeback in a fortnight. Should the Tigers win tonight's NAB Cup match at Subiaco Oval against Fremantle, the 30-year-old could play in the second-round match against Collingwood.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace put the former West Coast champion on a two-week mission to confirm his full fitness for a return to AFL football and revealed Cousins was almost selected to play tonight.

Only the 238-game veteran's late arrival into summer training after he was drafted by the Tigers in December hindered a comeback.

He has not played since breaking down with a hamstring injury in West Coast's qualifying final loss to Port Adelaide in September 2007.

"He's done everything that we have asked of him and unfortunately we would like him to have been playing in this (Fremantle) game," Wallace said.

"But the fact that he hadn't done virtually any full-time training prior to Christmas, that probably has him at the moment facing NAB two maybe NAB three."

Wallace said Cousins needed to get through the next two weeks' training.

"If he does that he's a chance in a fortnight's time," he said.

Richmond and AFL authorities have considered a contingency plan should Richmond draw Collingwood in a fortnight.

With Melbourne Victory set to host the A-League grand final at Docklands on Saturday, February 28, week, Cousins's comeback could be played on Thursday, February 26.

No other Melbourne venue is available on the Saturday due to cricket and soccer commitments.

Cousins spoke to more than 500 Tigers fans in Perth on Friday night.

"I think back to my days when I played Richmond - it's certainly got the best theme song in the competition," Cousins said to a roaring reception.

"I used to find myself singing it, at least until half-time."

Cousins briefly addressed his comeback from drug addiction, saying "the footy public in general has been fantastic. It surprised me in a way. And I couldn't ask for anything more, from the average football follower on the street to the Richmond faithful that made me feel welcome".

He said it would take time for his body to be match-ready, but he looked forward to getting back on the field.

Despite the absence of Cousins and former skipper Kane Johnson, Richmond has named a strong line-up for tody's match, with Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling and Troy Simmonds part of a near full-strength squad.

Former Bomber Tom Hislop and former Power midfielder Adam Thomson are also in the squad.

Fremantle, minus skipper Matthew Pavlich and Chris Tarrant, has named a host of youngsters, led by last year's No. 3 pick in the national draft, Stephen Hill.

Paul Hasleby has been included while David Mundy will captain the team.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25056420-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #624 on: February 15, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »
Sidelined Cousins advises Tigers on tactics at Subiaco
Justin Chadwick Perth | February 15, 2009

BEN Cousins won't take the field against Fremantle today but Richmond coach Terry Wallace will pick the brain of the former West Coast star as the Tigers look to consolidate their recent good form at Subiaco Oval.

Richmond, possessing a host of fleet-footed midfielders, destroyed the Dockers by 64 points at Subiaco Oval in round four last year before returning in round 15 to hand the Eagles a 77-point spanking.

Wallace felt there were still lessons to be learnt about how to play at the long and narrow venue and said Cousins, who played 110 times at the ground during his 238-game career at West Coast, would provide valuable input.

"Obviously he wants to be involved as much as what he possibly can," Wallace said after training yesterday. "I thought there was a couple of things (he could add), all to do with the playing style here and what works and what doesn't.

"We've got a team meeting tonight and he'll probably have some involvement in that."

Richmond has named a strong line-up to play the Dockers, with only Cousins, Mark Coughlan, Trent Cotchin and Kane Johnson the notable absentees.

Fremantle, minus skipper Matthew Pavlich and Chris Tarrant, has named a host of youngsters, led by last year's No. 3 pick in the national draft, Stephen Hill.

Paul Hasleby has been included for his first game since rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in last year's opening round of the pre-season competition, while David Mundy will captain the side in Pavlich's absence.

"Harvs (Dockers coach Mark Harvey) rang me on Tuesday," Mundy said.

"I was at the dentist so with numb lips and a sore jaw I rang him back and he told me I was going to be captain."

Wallace said he would use the hit-out to assess the form of some of his fringe players.

"I reckon we've got five guys who I need to see who virtually have hardly played, or not played at all," Wallace said.

"That's why you love coming to these games, to see whether someone can step up.

"Is there one of your boys who can make a difference? One that comes to mind is Angus Graham.

"We've struggled for an extra ruckman, we know Freo have got reasonably strong, good ruckmen, and Angus played at the end of 2007 and then did an ankle, so we virtually lost him for 12 months.

"So to see how he's come back with another summer under his belt … as a coach that's the sort of stuff you are looking to see, whether he can add anything to the squad for the year."

Cousins, still overwhelmed by the support he has received since joining Richmond, believes the club is ready to "take the next step".

The Tigers have reached the finals just once in the past 13 years but Cousins, who has been thrown a lifeline by the club, despite spending more than a year out of the game battling drug addiction, is confident Wallace's side is on the verge of something special.

"They're a developing side, an improving side," Cousins told a Richmond function in Perth on Friday night.

"I think I'm arriving at the club at a good time where they've been together for a number of years now and they're ready to take the next step."

Cousins, who was at West Coast for 12 years, said he had been blown away by the support he had received from footy fans since coming clean about his addiction to drugs.

"The footy public in general has been fantastic," Cousins said. "It surprised me in a way.

"I couldn't ask for anything more, from the average football follower on the street to the Richmond faithful that made me feel welcome.

"Some unforeseeable things happened (earlier in my career) but I think that's the way life works.

"But I'm happy to be at a Melbourne side with a good atmosphere and there's aspects of footy that I haven't experienced yet, that hopefully aren't too far away."

Wallace said Cousins could make his Tigers debut in a fortnight.

"He's done everything that we've asked," Wallace said.

"We've put him on a program that might have him available NAB two, maybe NAB three. But we'll give him another fortnight's training just to make sure his body's right."

Cousins, who also battled a series of hamstring problems when he last played in the AFL, in 2007, admitted he still wasn't at peak fitness.

"I'm still a little bit behind the guys," he said.

"Joining the group in December probably wasn't the ideal preparation but I think, looking towards a season that's six weeks away, barring any injury I should be cherry ripe."

Tigers vice-captain Nathan Foley said Cousins' leadership qualities had already strengthened the club.

"Ben's a natural leader," Foley said. "As soon as he came to the club you just knew he had those leadership attributes.

"I've had the luxury of working with him in the midfield over the summer and his advice has been great so far."

Richmond president Gary March said membership sales were up 25 per cent, thanks largely to Cousins' arrival at Punt Road.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-advises-tigers/2009/02/14/1234028352341.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #625 on: February 15, 2009, 05:25:25 AM »
Another back page too for Richmond in today's Herald-Sun thanks to Cuz - "YELLOW AND BACK"  :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #626 on: February 15, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »
Another back page too for Richmond in today's Herald-Sun thanks to Cuz - "YELLOW AND BACK"  :thumbsup

Hey herald sun, get your own name!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #627 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:57 AM »
Wallace: Cousins hype to help us
Braden Quartermaine| February 16, 2009 11:30pm

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says hype surrounding the return of Ben Cousins could help his side.

Wallace says the attention on Hawthorn star Lance Franklin as he charged to the 100-goal mark last season relieved pressure on his teammates.

Cousins is set to play in the NAB Cup quarter-final against Collingwood.

"If you're going to be a good side, you've got to be able to handle that, be able to handle the public scrutiny and spotlight," Wallace said.

"Buddy Franklin was under it enormously last year and the Hawthorn boys didn't seem to miss a beat.

"We look forward to him (Cousins) playing, but we won't rush him."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25064740-5016212,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #628 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:16 AM »
Just in case you've missed out on the news that Richmond drafted Cousins....  ;D

Apparently, there's this sport called football …
Peter Hanlon
February 18, 2009

SOME readers have been complaining that there hasn't been enough footy in Sporting Life. So, just in case you've missed it, here's a rundown of the important stuff that's happened so far this year (as reported elsewhere).

'Song a hit with Cousins' (Feb 16 - Ben Cousins likes Richmond's theme song).

'Fifty minutes of Tiger heaven' (Feb 9 - Cousins plays intra-club practice match).

'Ben's sitting pretty' (Feb 2 - Cousins is house-sitting in Middle Park).

'Long lunch' (Jan 26 - Cousins goes out for lunch)

'Brown - it's not all about Ben' (Jan 25 - Apparently there are other players at Richmond)

'Cousins teams up' (Jan 23 - Ben goes out again, this time for dinner with some old people, including Sam Newman).

'Ben goes to water' (Jan 11 - Cousins goes out to dinner again, and drinks mineral water).

'Ben's big break' (Jan 10 - Cousins goes surfing).

'Cousins chukks in with polo' (Jan 9 - Ben goes to the polo).

'Why we can look forward to 2009' (Jan 4 - Because of Ben Cousins).

That just about covers it for now, with things really expected to hot up once the season starts on March 26.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/barnies-make-sure-its-all-snags-and-beer/2009/02/17/1234632812081.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Moi

« Reply #629 on: February 18, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
Just in case you've missed out on the news that Richmond drafted Cousins....  ;D

Apparently, there's this sport called football …
Peter Hanlon
February 18, 2009

SOME readers have been complaining that there hasn't been enough footy in Sporting Life. So, just in case you've missed it, here's a rundown of the important stuff that's happened so far this year (as reported elsewhere).

'Song a hit with Cousins' (Feb 16 - Ben Cousins likes Richmond's theme song).

'Fifty minutes of Tiger heaven' (Feb 9 - Cousins plays intra-club practice match).

'Ben's sitting pretty' (Feb 2 - Cousins is house-sitting in Middle Park).

'Long lunch' (Jan 26 - Cousins goes out for lunch)

'Brown - it's not all about Ben' (Jan 25 - Apparently there are other players at Richmond)

'Cousins teams up' (Jan 23 - Ben goes out again, this time for dinner with some old people, including Sam Newman).

'Ben goes to water' (Jan 11 - Cousins goes out to dinner again, and drinks mineral water).

'Ben's big break' (Jan 10 - Cousins goes surfing).

'Cousins chukks in with polo' (Jan 9 - Ben goes to the polo).

'Why we can look forward to 2009' (Jan 4 - Because of Ben Cousins).

That just about covers it for now, with things really expected to hot up once the season starts on March 26.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/barnies-make-sure-its-all-snags-and-beer/2009/02/17/1234632812081.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
So Peter writes another article about Ben
Dikkhead lol  :rollin