Author Topic: Tigers battle leadership void - Miller  (Read 1936 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers battle leadership void - Miller
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:18:46 AM »
Tigers battle leadership void
17 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Trevor Grant

AS RICHMOND'S much-awaited revival temporarily loses traction, the club's director of football, Greg Miller, says the team is suffering from a lack of leadership.

Miller, head-hunted four years ago to try to rid the club of its losing culture, is adamant the Tigers are on the right track, despite three successive losses to start the season.

However, he said the thin ranks of capable leaders would continue until the young recruits from recent drafts are ready to take command.

"There's no doubt some of our leadership group are out of form and there's probably an issue with the fact that (captain) Kane Johnson has got to do a hell of a lot of leadership on his own," Miller said.

He said injuries to three of the club's six-man leadership group did not help. Troy Simmonds has played only one game, Nathan Brown is yet to play and Mark Coughlan is out for the season after a second knee reconstruction. The others in the group are Chris Newman and Joel Bowden.

"There's no doubt Kane Johnson carries a heavy load. I don't think it's so much an issue with leadership quality, more with depth," Miller said.

"We've got to hope from the next wave of players someone will emerge. It takes time for people to emerge and evolve and take on responsibility. You give them the tools. We have professional staff to come in and train them. But some of it is in their personalities."

Miller, who made his name as a recruiting officer, and later, general manager, at North Melbourne, said the recruiting philosophy from several years ago was having an impact on team leadership.

"We had a void in our recruiting in the late 1990s and early 2000s where we did quite a few trades. Therefore we are missing a whole bracket of players in the mid-age range," Miller said. "Thank God we picked up Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson in our last trades. They are our best leaders."

Miller said when he arrived in 2002 there was a serious impediment to the development of strong leaders.

"I felt there was a problem with relationships between administration and players," he said. "Over a fair period of time it was them against us. That doesn't work in footy clubs.

"The leadership group was at odds with the club because there wasn't a mutual trust. That's gone now. We work with the players."

Miller also defended the club against accusations that the revival under Terry Wallace, who was given a five-year contract at the end of 2004, was not on track.

Richmond has gone from four wins and last in 2004 -- Danny Frawley's last season as coach -- to 11 wins and ninth in 2006. But the pace of revival came under scrutiny when Wallace said recently that ultimate success may not come until 2011. "The five-year deal was absolutely the right decision in terms of being able to make sure the members understood it's going to take longer than a couple of years to turn a list around completely," he said.

"In the first couple of years I reckon I got 50 emails a week. I now average two or three a week, although I must say I got 12 today, as I did after we lost the first three games last year.

"I have answered nearly all the emails, even the angry ones. It's funny that when you gave them the time of day and explained things properly they would come back with a thank-you for being heard."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21569274%255E19771,00.html

letsgetiton!

Re: Tigers battle leadership void - Miller
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:32:30 AM »
Tigers battle leadership void
17 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Trevor Grant

"I have answered nearly all the emails, even the angry ones. It's funny that when you gave them the time of day and explained things properly they would come back with a thank-you for being heard."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21569274%255E19771,00.html

liar liar liar

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »

Nearly is not all.  And if you abused him and swore your head off like you seem to do in nearly every thread lately, I don't blame him.

Life goes on

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »

Nearly is not all.  And if you abused him and swore your head off like you seem to do in nearly every thread lately, I don't blame him.

Can tell you he doesnt

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

did not swear to him once, i can control myself.
i vent my spleen on here cos its like an outlet
i emailed him concise and diect questions about th eclub its decision making terr the himslef the future game plan etc

and the liar does not return many emails, he may reply to one or two but not many as he implied. nearly all means most. he said he even replied to abusive emails, i never sent an abusive one, maybe i should

and i did mention that richo should be dropped for his pathetic efforts leadership lack of sticking to the game plan selfish sooky behaviour and becuse he continually loses more games for us than win. mike sheehan is totally right about richo.  he is no longer of any value and he cannot cope with the fact that jay is a better option than him now

thats the problem with richmond and one question i asked him was why are they continually scared to make the tough decisions

re/ gas sugar and richo!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »
What email is Greg Miller?  I want his email.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:39:03 AM »

i emailed him concise and diect questions about th eclub its decision making terr the himslef the future game plan etc

and the liar does not return many emails, he may reply to one or two but not many as he implied. nearly all means most. he said he even replied to abusive emails, i never sent an abusive one, maybe i should

and i did mention that richo should be dropped for his pathetic efforts leadership lack of sticking to the game plan selfish sooky behaviour and becuse he continually loses more games for us than win. mike sheehan is totally right about richo.  he is no longer of any value and he cannot cope with the fact that jay is a better option than him now

thats the problem with richmond and one question i asked him was why are they continually scared to make the tough decisions

re/ gas sugar and richo!
And yet if Richo had kicked his 700th goal you'd be full of praise.  Tad hypocritical.  As for sooky behaviour, you only need to look at some comments since Friday night to see sookiness in full flight. 

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:58:45 AM »

re/ gas sugar and richo!
And yet if Richo had kicked his 700th goal you'd be full of praise.  Tad hypocritical.  As for sooky behaviour, you only need to look at some comments since Friday night to see sookiness in full flight. 

700 is a great effort but one has to look at this realistically

we should be celebrating his 1000 and ok he has won a hanful of games for us but he has alsp cost us many more games due to his sookyness, lack of kicking skill, lack of fwd pressure, too busy looking at himself on th bigscreen or sulking to the umpire begging 4 a free.

his lack of leadership was really evident on friday night

ppl and richo have to realise the world does not revolve around him.

when we got rid off otto, we should have passed richo on too!

we fail to make tough decisions

saints got rid of locket and hall, they are 10 times the player richo will ever be

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 12:05:26 PM »
saints got rid of locket and hall, they are 10 times the player richo will ever be
And do you think the Swans were better off for it?  Plugger and Hall performed even better with the Swans.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
And do you think the Swans were better off for it?  Plugger and Hall performed even better with the Swans.

plugger was no where near as good at sydney than he was at saint kilda

evryone knows that

but reality is, the saints were still better off getting rid of them, if we gave up richo for the betterment of the club and he goes on and playes better footy elsewhere , who cares cos if the tigers are better thats what counts

i support the rfc not individuals

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »
Miller also defended the club against accusations that the revival under Terry Wallace, who was given a five-year contract at the end of 2004, was not on track.

Where’s the evidence to suggest that it is on track, because I haven’t seen any new traits emerge, on the field, that give that statement any credence.

We know the Club lacks on-field leadership, because it has been a constant that has haunted RFC.  And despite the endless change of players, coaches and administrators, RFC has still been unable to develop players.

During all the lean times, I doubt that any players we’ve had at the club have achieved anything they weren’t already capable of.  And I tend to think that RFC’s inability to develop players has nothing to do with the players, their personalities or even their ability.  It has to do with RFC.

So what are they doing about it? The last thing we need is more changes.  If anything, we need less of them.  And as long as we stick to a plan then at some point it will bring results.  Our problem is that we have chopped and changed so often that there has never been any continuity or consistency to allow any system put in place to produce results.  The Swans are a great lesson to all, because through persistence and sticking to a plan, as much as anything else, they ultimately achieved what they set out to achieve.  Unlike RFC, who has done anything but persist, and paid the price.

If TW is to bring about real change within the playing group then perhaps he might like to change his approach.  Because all his faith seems to be in processes and systems to bring results.  They may be necessary, but where is the evidence that suggests he has an equal amount of faith in his players?  If it’s there, I haven’t seen it and I’m unlikely to ever see it while he continues to think that it’s all about him and his processes, systems and game plans.

When will he be prepared to show as much faith in his players as he does his game plans?  Before, during or after they’ve been reduced to a shadow of their former selves?  Time after time we see the same old bad habits and traits emerge on the field because we never allow for anything new.

Instead, during tough situations, we often see a lack of intensity, fight and persistence on the field.  Maybe we do have a lack of A-grade players, but that alone doesn’t prevent a team from persisting under duress.  What does prevent any of that emerging is a lack of belief in themselves and those around them.  No belief = no persistence, or anything else for that matter.

I doubt those qualities can ever emerge while TW continues to place greater emphasis and faith in processes and systems to bring results, rather than his players.  Sure, you need a plan and system to work to, but how can they bring the intended results if you don’t have real faith in your players?  Wouldn’t they sense that, or even know it?

No doubt, players have to take responsibility for their part, but the Club is entrusted with the responsibility of getting the best out of its players.  If the players knew how to do that then they wouldn’t need coaching.  But coach after coach, RFC has prevented any real development in players taking place, because their focus has always been directed somewhere other than the players.  And, for some time now, it’s seemed to me that TW had placed his faith in the system to bring results, and that he’s simply waiting for these ideal circumstances to arrive (somewhere around 2011, I guess), before he can be prepared to put faith in his players?

Some AFL clubs and coaches just don’t get it.  Especially RFC.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Life goes on

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
Tiger Spirit, thats the post of the century I reckon :thumbsup

Bulluss

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
Here, Here Tiger Spirit.

You need to send that to Greg Miller and Terry Wallace.