Author Topic: Tiger critics off mark - Wallace  (Read 6624 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger critics off mark - Wallace
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:49:48 AM »
18 April 2007   Herald-Sun
Terry Wallace

FOOTBALL hysteria is alive and well in 2007, Terry Wallace writes.

AFL footy is an amazing, media-driven game, and that's why it has become so popular with the masses and equally why those in the game are paid so well.

The adulation of success is unparalleled and the scrutiny and criticism of failure savage.

Never more than in the past few weeks have I been shocked and amazed by how some people in the media can change and misrepresent comments made and use them against you in times of vulnerability.

Even more startling is that there are so many media commentators and analysts who now comment on matters without any background knowledge or information.

On the eve of the 2007 season Richmond invited key media members to an information session, which outlined the performance and future direction of the club.

The meeting was a feel-good chat to give a greater understanding of the club's inner workings. I presented a list management study, which clearly defined the reasons for some of the club's difficulties during the past five years. This presentation set immediate, short term and long-term directions for the club.

In the past, clubs have been criticised for not being transparent enough. But as I found out, as soon as you are, some people with agendas use it against you.

The black hole

The presentation spoke about the missing generation at Tigerland, where we have very few players in the 22 to 26-year age bracket. When I started at Richmond more than two years ago we had an older age group of players and had started to develop our own young players for the future, rather than simply trading away picks for older, established players, so that we could build our own generation next. We now have 30 of 44 players under 24 years of age.

Immediate goals

Once we identified this black hole, we tried to fast-track young players to make the grade before our senior group was pensioned off.

Players such as Raines, Deledio, Tambling, Schulz, Tuck and Polo have been part of that rebuilding process, with other early draft selections maturing and developing at VFL level. Over two years we have seen improvement.

Everyone at the club plans and works as hard as possible to win every game each week.

Some in the media say our greatest downfall was that we improved a little quicker than perhaps we should have to take advantage of extra draft selections.

But we want to breed a culture of striving to win.

At that meeting it was stated there would be no guarantees on how quickly our younger players would develop and that their development would determine whether we held ground, lost ground or made ground in the short term.

Mid-term goals

What has not been reported is the club has always believed that with three to five years' development, our draftees would have enough games under their belt to support our core senior group in the next few years. This was clearly spelled out at the meeting, but never reported.

Because we lack players around the 100-game mark, we need to get games into some of our boys as quickly as possible, while still earning the right to wear the Richmond football jumper, not just be given charity games.

No doubt we will be judged over the next two years on whether the marriage flourishes with that senior and younger group. But, as senior coach, I understand this is what you live and die by in this environment.

Long-term goals

For some reason there was an hysterical reaction to our club having long-term plans. I would have thought that anyone who understands business would realise you need direction to achieve your goals. People must understand that AFL footy is also a business. What was projected at the meeting was that by 2011 the club's black hole would be disappearing.

The draft players of 2004 (Deledio, Pattison, Tambling, Polo) will have reached 24 years of age with Brett Deledio the youngest at 23.

With constant drafting since then, rather than trading selections away, we will have a continuity of ages and a core group of players who will have come through together in the correct age brackets.

I'm sure West Coast is doing this planning now, has been doing it for years and therefore has few "holes" on its list.

While getting the age brackets right, obviously each club is also working on the right balance of key position players, ruckmen and running players and trying to ensure it has enough talent.

Never, ever was there a statement that the club would not have success until 2011 -- but merely that the Tigers would have an even list for a decade and beyond from that time onwards.

The other factor I was bitterly disappointed about was the insinuation this grand plan was to keep me in a job for longer. At the meeting it was clearly spelled out that the entire club had the immediate, short term and long-term procedures in place so that we could all have clear direction for the future regardless of whether CEO Steven Wright, president Gary March, director of football Greg Miller or myself remained in our positions.

All at the club have been bitterly disappointed with our start to the season, as would the other three clubs who are in the same position.

This marathon season of ours ebbs and flows in some mysterious ways.

Last year Melbourne was 0-3 and then comfortably made the finals, while teams who appeared down and out last year, such as Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton and the Brisbane Lions, have started the 2007 season with a surge.

So, as someone who has been in this pressure-cooker environment for some time, I can only deal with what I can control and get on with the business of planning for Friday night's game against the Western Bulldogs.

On a weekly basis I tell my players never to take their eyes off the ball, so in my role I cannot afford to hesitate or deviate from our plans.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21576127%255E19742,00.html

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Tiger critics off mark - Wallace
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:10:52 AM »
Norm Smith won those three premierships (lost the fourth to the pies when they got sucked in)in the early fifties by building up a young team playing together until success came their way. They weren't exactly a team of champions but they were a great team.

I watched the Swans game against the lions and when the going got tough the tough got going something the tiges need to do. Hall who had been the focal point early (kicks straight too) was leading into one pocket and Mclauchlin into the other with the backmen backing themselves up into the centre and providing the drive.

They were playing like a team. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
A well written response by Plough. Some will call it spin but I can't see to much wrong with what he's said.

Imagine Spud trying to write something like this - "yeah nah, stick fat, we're not far away but we've got along way to go" ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »
All Tezza has done in that article is repeat what he has been saying since he got to the place.

Nothing new in it for Tiger fans - certainly a bit a clarity for other footy fans, the Mike Sheahans and Caros of the world who never let the facts get in the way of a good headline 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
All of what TW says is great, makes sense and I understand it, but to me it means next to nothing.

Things off the field seem settled, which is great, but you’d like to see the flow on effect reflected on the field, at some point in time.  Instead, as always, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back.

We seem to know how to put a team together and be able to teach players about game plans, following instructions and so on, but what about instilling in them the traits that make a real team?  It’s one thing for players to stick to the game plan and win games because they did that, but what about when they’re challenged by the opposition and it requires more than their ability to stick to the game plan to win a game of football?

You don’t expect to win every game and you don’t expect young players to come in and instantly turn our fortunes around, but at some point I reckon you have a right to expect to see that the team is developing a backbone.

That’s something RFC has failed miserably to achieve in the past.  And it doesn’t look like we’re much closer to achieving that now.  As always, when the tempo in a game lifts, we don’t have the capacity to lift the intensity at the same time.  And even at times when we have the ascendancy in a game, there’s never the sense of urgency to ram home the advantage.  Different players, different coach and a different season.  But the same old bad habits and traits.

How skilled do players need to be to want to win and be prepared to go the extra distance?  It’s just something that eternally seems to elude our players and it’s like that even if we have had someone to show the way to others, they don’t follow anyway, because it’s just not in them to do so.  And whenever the pressure is on, some players automatically seem to go and do their own thing, in their own way, on their own.  Which is completely the opposite to the good teams, who, in these situations, support one another and do whatever it takes to move the ball forward and to their advantage.

But we seem to need some ideal circumstances to arrive before we can ever hope to see examples of that from our team.  Instead, we’ll just put our faith in the system and game plan to win games and fool people into thinking the team is improving, when the on-field evidence suggests something else.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
Welcome back Spirit  :clapping

:cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »
What the plough needs is a win this week to take the heat off for a while and to start bringing in the youngsters like Edwards, Riewoldt, Oakley Nicholls and Casserleys. Hope always dies last- and if you bring in kids they will give supporters hope for the future.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »
Terry Wallace

The draft players of 2004 (Deledio, Pattison, Tambling, Polo) will have reached 24 years of age with Brett Deledio the youngest at 23.

i understand  what wallet is saying 
but the above sentence is a worry, this tells me meyer is finished
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:14:31 PM by X-CITED »

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
Terry Wallace

i understand tottaly what wallet is saying 

If hes finished then they need to start pumping up his value, if theyve decided they cant move forward with danny or cleve or both- they need to find a way to jack up there value and send them home for a decent deal.

Life goes on

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »
Wouldnt think that patto, tambling and  Polo  are household names yer either. Jury is out I reckon. I hope they make it but

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 02:15:38 AM »
Terry Wallace

The hardcopy of the paper included Meyer and McGuane.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
Terry Wallace

The hardcopy of the paper included Meyer and McGuane.

why do they change it for the net format

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
l think some of you dont understand the term REBUILDING a club & its playing list

there is still alot of work to be done you just cant become a coach & put together a new coaching staff & fix things in a few years
It needs to be done over a long period thats why Richmond has given TW a 5 year contract cause with his plans & what the board had talked about it would be at least that to get the club back on track & to gell together a good playing list
remember TW came to the club when it was broke on its knees & the list was not good & moral from Frawley & humilating defeats was not good
Until the club starts stringing wins together & become a hard & unpredictable team to beat in the mold of ?? Western Bulldogs Sydney, West Coast, Adelaide, St-Kilda then none here will be satified & those who think they know best will be critic's of the coach & players

Its time some of you forum trolls started supporting our cause & stop destroying it as its being built up you will only damage the young players with your wraith

:gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
why do they change it for the net format
To get us to buy the paper  ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Too much Tiger information - Wallace shuts up shop (The Age)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 01:42:49 AM »
Too much Tiger information
Martin Blake | April 20, 2007
The Age

WHEN Terry Wallace talks about the need to "shut up shop", you sit up and listen. It is hard to imagine Wallace, who has changed the way AFL clubs think about transparency, could have come to this. But he believes that the metaphorical goal posts have been shifted in the past month. Here is why.

On the eve of the season, Richmond called selected members of the media in for what it called an information session. It was typical Wallace to think of it, and delivered with characteristic professionalism. The aim was to have the philosophy and direction of the club passed on to supporters via the media.

The coach delivered a presentation on the state of the Tigers' list, noting the "black hole" in the age group 22 to 26, from which Wallace believes most premiership players come. There was a graph that pitched the Tigers for a ninth-place finish in 2007, the same as in 2006.

Here was the catch. In his presentation, Wallace mentioned that it would take until 2011 for Richmond to fill the void in its list, and that this would be when real prosperity should follow, the much-quoted "decade of opportunity".

This was interpreted in some circles as Wallace saying that Richmond could not expect a flag until at least 2011. For a man into the third year of a five-year contract, it came across as an unnecessary dampening of expectations. The talkback lines and internet forums ran riot.

But Wallace says it was never like that. He believes people in the media used it against him. And he has learned his lesson. "All I was saying was that in 2011, there would be no more holes in the list."

Yesterday, Wallace admitted it was a mistake to present such detailed information on the club in such a forum, open as it was to interpretation. "With hindsight, yes (it was)," he said. "But I've written it in the paper. I've given it to all and sundry. There's no damage with the information that's there. It was a mistake in the fact that everyone in the media are looking for a whizzbang story, and therefore they weren't prepared to report it."

In the future, he said, it would be delivered in a controlled environment. "I just would never have that information meeting again. All it's done is that it's guaranteed that I'll just shut up shop, which is disappointing. I've always been one who tried to be open and honest about where things are at. What it's taught me is: 'Don't give anything to anyone.' "

Wallace is under pressure, of course, but he's been here before, and this week, with three straight defeats to start the season, there has been plenty of criticism from the likes of Garry Lyon. Externally, the heat is rising.

Internally, Richmond is trying desperately to hold firm with its long-term plans as it prepares to take on the Western Bulldogs at the MCG tonight.

"That's the nature of the business," he said of the criticism. "To be honest, we're not in the position we'd want to be in. But we're not panicking about where we're going as a club, that's for sure."

Comparisons have been made with Hawthorn's rebuilding under Alastair Clarkson, and specifically there has been criticism of Richmond's 2004 decision to draft Richard Tambling ahead of Lance "Buddy" Franklin, who went to the Hawks with the No. 5 pick. Of course, the jury will be out on these things for some time yet, notwithstanding Franklin's quick emergence.

It annoys Wallace to hear the comparison between Franklin and Tambling. "I reckon it's the most ridiculous comparison of all time. Why don't they compare him with (No. 2 pick) Jarryd Roughead? If Hawthorn were so smart, why didn't they pick Buddy at No. 2?"

All the while, the slick Tambling is getting better. "The bottom line is you end up with a very nice player. He'll mature up. It just takes time."

Matthew Richardson's poor conversion has been a topic of angst at Punt Road, too, as it tends to be from time to time. Wallace points out that as a 60 per cent converter, the beloved "Richo" is not as bad as what many people believe in front of the big sticks. The problem is that when he misses, he misses big. "When he has a bad day, he usually has a really bad day. It makes it stand out even more so."

The Tigers have picked two first-gamers for tonight, 22-year-old Jake King and 18-year-old Shane Edwards.

While it could be interpreted as a message that Richmond will continue to push youth, Wallace said it was simpler than that. King, Coburg's best-and-fairest player last year, and Edwards simply beat down the door. "There's no message," he said. "Jake King has been really close. He played the last three practice games and he's been close the whole way through. Edwards has been our best-performed VFL player. The reality is we've lost three games in a row as well."

Richmond has been competitive — it has led well into all three games against Carlton, Sydney and Collingwood — all season. Not that this is enough for Wallace, let alone the Tiger Army.

"It's a test in a few ways. It's a test of your supporters' faith, it's a test of your board of management's level-headedness, that they know and understand where we're going and they've got confidence in the group that's doing the job. I think it's a test of the coaching staff and the players to keep their eye on the ball and not get carried away with external things that we have no control over."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/too-much-tiger-information/2007/04/19/1176697004756.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1