Author Topic: Dragga to be promoted to the senior list  (Read 7285 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dragga to be promoted to the senior list
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 01:35:43 AM »
Welcome back dragga. A well deserved spot in the seniors and a great effort to comeback from two knee recos :).

What happened to Browny BTW  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 04:40:22 PM »
Return of the Dragga!
22 July, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Marc Dragicevic will make his AFL comeback for Richmond in Sunday’s clash with Melbourne at the MCG.

The 23-year-old victim of two knee reconstructions, has been rushed into the Tiger side following his elevation from the rookie list to the senior list early this week.

“It’s certainly good to be back,” Dragicevic said at Punt Road this afternoon.

“Look, it’s been a long road again, I suppose. I’ve walked down a few long roads, but I’m grateful to get the opportunity this week against Melbourne and I’ll be looking to grasp it with both hands, that’s for sure.

“I’m not making a big deal about it. I suppose it’s just another game of footy and I’ve just got to try and treat it that way.

“I’ll have a lot of family and friends in the stands that have waited a long time because I remember last year when I did come back, it was in Brisbane, then Adelaide, and I didn’t play much of the third game, so they didn’t really get to see me.

“Hopefully, I can get a bit of a run and it’ll be good to have my family and friends there as well . . .”

Dragicevic, who made his debut with the Tigers in 1999, endured his first knee reconstruction early in the 2001 home-and-away season and his second one during the 2002 pre-season.

He returned to the playing field in 2003, but spent most of the season at the Coburg Tigers, managing just three appearances with Richmond. At the end of the year, he was delisted by the Tigers, but was later thrown a lifeline by the club and placed on its rookie list.

His form this season in the midfield with Coburg has been outstanding and he is one of the favorites for the VFL’s Liston Trophy.

‘Dragga’ confirmed that he had remodelled his game in a bid to resurrect his league career.

“I’ve tried to model myself a bit on Paul Broderick (former Richmond star midfielder) the way he played,” he said.

“I put on a lot of kilos, which I needed to in order to develop that sort of game. I was quite light when I first started, but now I’m at a good weight where I can handle my own in-close.

“With Coburg this year, I’ve had more of an ‘in-and-under’ type role – mainly going in and getting the ball and dishing it out to some runners.”

Dragga, who will run out for AFL game No. 47 on Sunday, admitted the latest twist in his roller-coaster league career, had taken him by surprise.

“I’m very excited, but to be quite honest, it still hasn’t really sunk in yet, and I don’t think it will sink in until I’m driving to the ground and I see the fans walking in the street . . .

“It’ll be an interesting day, but I’m hoping I can keep the lid on it . . . go out and just play like I have been playing this year,” he said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=161638
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline gustiger12

• Tiger Rookie
  • unleash the passion
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 12:40:54 AM »
Good luck Dragga.  If anyone ever earned their opportunity it's you.  Take it with both hands and show us what you have got. ;)

Ox

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 01:41:15 AM »
Yebemti Miko Pitchku Dragacevic !!!
 ;D

Good luck Mark and welcome back.

Hey Ox I actually understand that..........Didn't realise you had that blood in you

Actually grew up in a very croation,Serbian,Slovakian neighbourhood.

Love them all.

Dont know about my spelling but i can work out whats going on probably because its all i heard in my hood
for15 years.

Jivula Hrvarska - is that right?? lmao

Ox

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 01:44:18 AM »

lmfaooooooo@giving credit to Ox for being depraved

I'd like to thank my parents for "Sticking Fat" with me for 21 years and also the priests at Mazenod secondary college
for teaching me that there was more to life than just happiness.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 05:40:41 PM by Ox »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »
ROFLMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

lmfaoooooo@Ox being disturbed whenever he saw 'Family Ties', 'The Flying Nun' or 'Garflied' on TV.

Ox

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 01:59:16 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAMLORORF

and Dr Doolittle.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 02:09:27 AM »
flfmaaoooooooooooooo, stuff, choking   :lol  :lol  :lol:rollin  :rollin  :rollin

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »
 ;D

Hey Ox I actually understand that..........Didn't realise you had that blood in you

Love them all.

Dont know about my spelling but i can work out whats going on probably because its all i heard in my hood
for15 years.

LMAO at Ox the Yugoslav.

"Where's my money farken ?"

Your serbo-croat needs some work but it was a good effort.

Pitchka !
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 01:02:03 PM »
 ;D

Love them all.

for15 years.

LMAO at Ox the Yugoslav.

"Where's my money farken ?"

Your serbo-croat needs some work but it was a good effort.

Pitchka !

Actually, shouldn't that be Pitchkar to get around the swear filter?  :scream

Sukkash Kurratz!
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 03:07:56 AM »
Enter Dragicevic, for one last shot
24 July 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

MARC Dragicevic sat outside Richmond training in December like a nervous kid desperately wishing he didn't have to walk through the school gates for the first time.

A few weeks earlier, the Tigers had delivered a blunt message that AFL footy had gone past him.

If it hadn't been for a final word of encouragement and a shove from his manager Dan Richardson, Dragicevic might have turned around and walked away.

Richardson said yesterday: "I remember he rang. He was about to go in and he said, `I'm not sure I can do it'. I said to him, `Just swallow your pride and walk back in there. I'm sure the boys will welcome you back'.

"He did it and he rang me afterwards and said it was great. The lesson there is the difficult things in life are often the best things."

Eight months on, Dragicevic is preparing to be reborn as a senior player against Melbourne at the MCG tomorrow.

It has been an amazing journey considering Dragicevic, delisted by the Tigers in November after two knee reconstructions, started the season as a rookie on a base wage of $25,000.

Both Dragicevic and Richardson were realistic enough to think he had no hope of being elevated to the senior list.

"They made a commitment to rookie-list him and we felt initially that was just a little bit of a token goodwill gesture," Richardson said.

"From the discussions `Draga' had had with Danny Frawley and Greg Miller, it was fairly clear Richmond didn't see him at any stage being elevated this year.

"They felt through the knee reconstructions that the game had gone past him."

After getting the chop, Dragicevic trained at both Essendon and St Kilda hoping to be picked up in the national draft.

When neither club would commit, Dragicevic wanted to give the Tigers a wide berth. It was the VFL or interstate.

But after discussions with his management company Elite Sports Properties, Dragicevic went with the Tigers and their affiliate Coburg – on the minimum base without the luxury of match payments.

"In his third and fourth years he was on a pretty good wicket financially, so he's had to make adjustments there," Richardson said.

Along with the budget adjustments came a change to his approach. It has been so successful many believe he would be leading the VFL's best-and-fairest Liston Trophy voting.

Early on in his career, perhaps the senior games came too easily. There is now a feeling Dragicevic relaxed and the work ethic dropped off.

"One knee reconstruction is bad enough, but then to do it again he did go through a phase where he was pretty down on himself," Richardson said.

`Because he had two years where he wasn't able to run, he did a lot of weight work and probably got a bit big as well.

"Now, finally being able to string a full year together, he's got his fitness back up. Maybe he hasn't lost the pace Richmond thought he'd lost. Maybe it was a fitness issue."

Richardson will be in the stands tomorrow hoping as much as anyone Dragicevic can have an impact.

As for the man himself, there'll be no thoughts of turning back this time when he arrives at the MCG car park.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10225292%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 03:11:35 AM »
Best of luck to Dragga tomorrow. He deserves a change of fortune and reward for his perserverence after all the setbacks he's been through the last 3 years. Hope he has a good game :)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2004, 03:21:21 AM »
Best of luck to Dragga tomorrow. He deserves a change of fortune and reward for his perserverence after all the setbacks he's been through the last 3 years. Hope he has a good game :)

Here here. Good luck Dragga! If we can't get Rogo to 200, may as well get Dragga to 50.  :thumbsup ;D
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.