Author Topic: What is our game plan?  (Read 1201 times)

Bulluss

What is our game plan?
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:17:48 PM »
Does anyone have an idea of what our base game plan is?

Wallace always talks about run and carry, quick ball movement, play on at all costs.

I dont have any idea of what Wallace tries to teach our playing group but if that is the game plan then pretty much all of the list should be sacked.

Constant sideways chipping, backwards & over use of handballs is a disgrace.

Is there any chance that once one of our players marks the ball that a team mate will actually work his backside off to push and recieve a handball to continue the run and carry style?

West showed how its done tonight, he isnt fast but continually runs and works hard to make the contest.

It isnt rock science.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What is our game plan?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:50 AM »
It is for many Richmond players  ::). Poor skills, no or slow brains and most of all not willing to work hard enough. We are soft!

Any gameplan would fail at Richmond. Too many players play safe, don't want to take the responsibility, don't want to take risks needed to win games in case I make a mistake, don't want to do the hard yards off the ball to offer my teammate an attacking option to kick or handball to or shepard a pathway for him to run into space, etc ...  Hence we're going sideways, running into trouble  or disposing the ball under pressure. It's a team game and for any gameplan to work, especially one that revolves around run and carry and quick movement of the footy, you need everyone to work together. Too much is left to too few at Punt Rd.

More worrying is our skill level is still deplorable especially by foot. I mean it's shocking. Worst in the league and has been for 20 years. Unbelievable that you can train year after year and not hit straightforward targets by either hand or foot. The only reason we got back into the game in the 3rd quarter was because our workrate was better than the dogs and they started playing too cute crap and turned over the ball as much as we were. Some Benny Hill antics in that quarter as the standard of the game really fell away. The umps followed suit as well  ::) but I disgress. In the other three quarters the Dogs made us pay for every missed target we made.

Next is our 1%ers or lack of. Do any of our blokes know what a shepard is? The number of times I was yelling out "shepard him for gawd's sake" was unbelievable. Just plain lazy and dumb and each time it resulted in a turnover and costed us a goal :banghead. Unforgivable!  :banghead Our tackling was a mixed bag from the good to deplorable in the case of Griffen and Murphy getting through 4 pairs of Richmond arms  ::). So much for getting Robbie Kearns down to training midweek!   

Last but not least is our inability to play the percentages and understand basic modern footy strategy. Now either the gameplan is flawed and needs adjusting, or Wallace can't communicate the gameplan to the playing group, or our blokes are too dumb. Now it's probably a bit of all three but I would say mostly the latter. How do you explain a first gamer in Edwards making the correct and best decision 7 out of 8 times and executing it precisely while senior players screw up even the most basic play either by poor choices or lazy disposal. Let's just bomb it forward to where the dogs have a spare loose man in defence because it's the easy option ::). How do you explain Tambling using his pace to run to the right spots while others jog around in circles expecting teammates to squeeze low percentage passes to them. How do explain Rainsey running through the lines while others stop and hold onto the ball for far too long too timid to take the risks needed to win games.

Ticks me off how many soft, dumb and lazy players we have who want it easy :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Life goes on

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:45:54 AM »
Can tell you all the game plan is terrible.
Its like playing ""blind mice"".
MT . Forget about blaming the players about there skills as they ARE told to kick side ways and handball as ""first options"" and then more handballs :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
They actually handball around in circles. :lol :lol Its laughable.
Maybe the game plan should be this.
Take note MT. ;)
Rule 1/ Quick transition of football on any turnover. Basically has to be by foot and NOT handball. As we get badly run off , the ball needs to be rebounded by foot where we should have plays free as we let oppositon teams run forward of the ball on most occassions.

Rule 2/ When defending, switch at all costs. At least the players would be predictable to themselves. At the moment, they have no idea on where the ball will be going. They basically make things up as they go in reagrds to releasing out of D 50.

Rule 3/  DONT PLAY lightweights in the centre clearnances.
You cannot have Foley and Krak in the centre square at the same time. Cant beleive this happens.
Rule 4/ Play K. Johnson off half back and thats it.
Rule 5/ Isolate 1 forward player inside 50 and the rest play high. This isnt rocket science but I dont know why we have players standing 10 metres next to Richo or Schultz when the ball goes foward. This is dumb footy and this has happened in EVERY GAME this year.
I actually feel sorry for Richo , has he has to put up with this crap every week. Schultz similar.  Richo actually have 4 guys going him last night in several instances, Why ? Because all his fellow forwards kept in the structure they are told :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

You want o see a good forward structure people, go and watch the saints when Gehrig is playing. Sets things up for Reiwoldt.
Nick Reiwoldt on most occassions gets a clear run at the ball because ther game plan is very basic but good and doesnt play with clowns
i could go on and on , cant be bothered.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:09:19 AM »

Game plan?

It's a long term one aimed at a decade of sucess from 2011 onwards.

In the meantime  :banghead

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
Yep agree with Jack.  Too many handballs.  How many times are we screaming "kick it!"?  Or "don't go backwards!"?  Or "run Forest run!"  You forgot to mention crumbers.  Krak is never around when you need him.  And tackling?  No wonder the NRL supporters call it AFL.  My cats can tackle better.  My son played touch football last year and I couldn't bear to watch him cause he'd throw his whole body into it, often getting hurt, but it would stop the opposition from getting a try.

Life goes on

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
I have actually worked it out! FINALLY.
its called basketball ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »
Can tell you all the game plan is terrible.
Its like playing ""blind mice"".
MT . Forget about blaming the players about there skills as they ARE told to kick side ways and handball as ""first options"" and then more handballs :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
They actually handball around in circles. :lol :lol Its laughable.
Are they told to miss open targets, drop straightforward marks, stand and watch as their teammate gets run down from behind, etc ....too? You'd make a good Richmond coach Jack. Soft on the players.

Maybe the game plan should be this.
Take note MT. ;)
Rule 1/ Quick transition of football on any turnover. Basically has to be by foot and NOT handball. As we get badly run off , the ball needs to be rebounded by foot where we should have plays free as we let oppositon teams run forward of the ball on most occassions.
Most players don't run hard enough for a quick transition and we'd stuff it up anyway with poor foot disposal. Jack they can't hit open targets.

Rule 2/ When defending, switch at all costs. At least the players would be predictable to themselves. At the moment, they have no idea on where the ball will be going. They basically make things up as they go in reagrds to releasing out of D 50.
Switching only works when teammates up the field are willing to run hard to the fat side and the bloke with the ball can hit them on the full.

Rule 3/  DONT PLAY lightweights in the centre clearnances.
You cannot have Foley and Krak in the centre square at the same time. Cant beleive this happens.
So who are these non lightweights that should play there instead? You've eliminated Sugar so that leaves Tuck and ???. Don't have the players on our list.

Rule 4/ Play K. Johnson off half back and thats it.
On current form I hate to say he's lucky to be in the side. It's like he and Tivs have swapped feet over summer.

Rule 5/ Isolate 1 forward player inside 50 and the rest play high. This isnt rocket science but I dont know why we have players standing 10 metres next to Richo or Schultz when the ball goes foward. This is dumb footy and this has happened in EVERY GAME this year.
I actually feel sorry for Richo , has he has to put up with this crap every week. Schultz similar.  Richo actually have 4 guys going him last night in several instances, Why ? Because all his fellow forwards kept in the structure they are told :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
And the ball would still miss them by 10m ::). The gameplan wasn't to blame for Krak streaming out of the centre and missing Richo by 10m.

You want o see a good forward structure people, go and watch the saints when Gehrig is playing. Sets things up for Reiwoldt.
Nick Reiwoldt on most occassions gets a clear run at the ball because ther game plan is very basic but good and doesnt play with clowns
And Dal Santo, Hayes, Harvey, Ball, etc ... feeding lace out passes to them.

Jack I'm being a bit over the top as you do make some good points but a gameplan is only as good as the cattle you have to execute it. We don't have the cattle.

--------------------------

Carey is now on 3aw saying you can't teach a old dog new tricks but you can teach a player to hold and drop the ball correctly when they kick. Coaches spending too much time on stats rather than teaching kids how to kick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 05:53:28 AM »
Grant Thomas' 5 point gameplan in the Age:
You must play a game that will win a premiership. You cannot play a style to survive. Simply it will involve the following:

1. A hard, relentless approach to the ball and the man.

2. Correct balance between quick, inside and direct ball movement and appropriate "tempo" style.

3. Disciplined approach to accountability.

4. Heavy team focus and support to each other.

5. Superior strategy, tactics and match-ups.

The interstate teams have these basic fundamentals. I would suggest that West Coast, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Brisbane have all excelled in these five points in recent years. I am not certain any Victorian team could lay claim to that consistently. Interestingly, as Collingwood and the Kangaroos have shown recently, it does not come down to personnel.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/a-victorian-team-wont-win-the-flag/2007/05/12/1178899164583.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 05:19:21 AM »
Our gameplan according to Bucks......

RICHMOND: The Tigers have always been reliant on rebound from defence with extra numbers in their back half. This can provide a springboard to attack, but can also give the opposition easier access through the midfield to its scoring zone. Have become more one-on-one in recent times.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21797896%255E19771,00.html