Author Topic: Good Friday Proposal  (Read 12129 times)

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: Good Friday Proposal
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:21 PM »
true a public holiday is a public holiday, but sometimes we should sit back and reflect and understand why these days are public holidays and what they mean.

No, not when it is for religious reasons, absolutely not.  No-one has the right to force (or even present) their religious beliefs on anyone and if you choose to disregard or reject religion for whatever reason then that is your prerogative.  In this free (and very, very lucky country) you have the freedom to reflect and celebrate whatever is important to you on whatever day you wish for whatever reason you wish.  No-one forces our society to observe customs for any other religion - Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu etc etc but by forcing the closure of services or restriction to activities because of Christian beliefs we fly in the face of the very freedom and tolerance we espouse and cherish.

this is the problem with society today. nothing has meaning anymore and respect is quickly escaping western culture

Don't restrict your comment to western culture - lack of respect and meaning is endemic throughout the modern world - probably the only places left where this doesn't apply are in the remote areas of 'third world' (a horrible term) countries where supposed civilization hasn't had much opportunity to tarnish and pollute yet.  If you want to find the 'problem' with our society today then look closer to home - the breakdown of family, the breakdown of social morals, the decrease in education standards, the increase in chemical dependence - that's where you will find the real problems with society today.

</ OT social commentary rant>

this nation and its constitution was founded on christian principals all be they are slowly being eroded if you dont believe in the reason for the days memorial then dont take the day off christianity may get the thumbs down now by many but if you take the time to search out the truth you will find that true christianity never was responsible for wronging its fellow man Good Friday was about 1 man actually giving his life to save the lives of many not unlike a principal our new coach is promoting to our players at training about serving and looking after your mates
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »
politics and religion always good for conversation lol
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

this nation and its constitution was founded on christian principals all be they are slowly being eroded if you dont believe in the reason for the days memorial then dont take the day off christianity may get the thumbs down now by many but if you take the time to search out the truth you will find that true christianity never was responsible for wronging its fellow man Good Friday was about 1 man actually giving his life to save the lives of many not unlike a principal our new coach is promoting to our players at training about serving and looking after your mates

That would be Christian "principles" as in ideals and not "principals" as in the head of a school.

:thumbsup

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »
but if you take the time to search out the truth you will find that true christianity never was responsible for wronging its fellow man

Really?
Where does one start.......
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
but if you take the time to search out the truth you will find that true christianity never was responsible for wronging its fellow man

Really?
Where does one start.......

;)  I let that one through to the keeper Beren.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
i dont think the afl should play football on good friday.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »
I do.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »
There is absolutely no reason not to have football on Good Friday. For me the day means absolutely nothing in a religious sense. Let me and people of like mind enjoy the footy whilst those who are good Christians go to church and do whatever you do there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
There is absolutely no reason not to have football on Good Friday. For me the day means absolutely nothing in a religious sense. Let me and people of like mind enjoy the footy whilst those who are good Christians go to church and do whatever you do there.

From a different perspective....

I'm not a religious person at all but I am dead against footy on Good Friday. I don't see the need to change something simply because other codes play on Good Friday. Why can't the AFL have a point of difference on this issue. Do they really need to be sheep and follow the NRL?

We have very days where the majoirty of things (in particular shops) are closed and families can actually spend time to together without work getting in the way. Last count we have 3 days a year, Xmas, Good Friday and Easter Sunday
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
GWS are the latest who want to play on Good Friday against the Swans in a home-town derby.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydney-eyes-fixed-easter-date-for-sydney-derby/story-e6frf9jf-1226043522740

If there were to be a game on Good Friday there's arguably only a twilight window open for one (say 5.30pm - 8pm) with the tv appeal at the hospital beforehand and back in the tv studio after the game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Good Friday footy, yay or nay? (Bigpond)
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
The annual should we or shouldn't we play AFL on Good Friday is doing a run on Bigpond sport/news....

Good Friday footy, yay or nay?

By Adam Jones
Friday, April 06, 2012
Source: BigPond Sport

The big question

The AFL has steadfastly refused to consider playing a game on the Friday before Easter, citing an overriding responsibility to family traditions. Church leaders tell us it's a disrespectful notion. Even footballers are divided.

But the issue won't go away. Earlier this week, Kangaroos CEO Eugene Arocca reaffirmed North Melbourne's desire to host a Good Friday game. Is it time for the AFL to move with the times?

For

Here's an incomplete list of sports being played on Good Friday around the world: rugby league (NRL), soccer (English Premier League), baseball (MLB), basketball (NBA), golf (The US Masters), Test cricket (Sri Lanka v England) and motorsport (MotoGP).

That's a fairly convincing argument in itself. It's not like the AFL has to worry about being trailblazers. On the contrary, the league looks flat-footed in comparison, and the NRL's participation alone should have them diving in.

Until they do, we're a bunch of bored channel surfers on Good Friday. Primetime is a wasteland if you're not into league or charity, and a good bit of night footy would almost certainly rate through the roof.

A night game would also allow the church-going to attend to their duties during the day, while the less inclined can sleep off their hangovers. For the secular Aussies, the Friday before Easter is just another public holiday and a pretty disappointing one at that. Being deprived of footy on one of the most restrictive days on the calendar is tough to swallow.

Meanwhile, a Good Friday game would give one of the less cashed-up clubs the chance to pull in some dough. If done correctly it could also be a boon for the Good Friday Appeal.

Against

There's charm in an odd anachronism here and there. Sure, we've got video technology, interchange stewards and a substitute per side now, but our goal umpires still wave flags and we still bounce the ball.

The absence of Good Friday football hearkens back to the time of suburban leagues, before footy became the professional package it is now. That's something worth holding on to.

It's also great for grassroots footy to have a day to itself. The VFL was set to test the waters in 2012 until the Bendigo council stepped in, but the WAFL, SANFL and NEAFL will all stage matches. Assuming the VFL gets it together next season the AFL can spin Good Friday as a day to support your roots, and what a terrific idea that is.

The league also needs to be mindful of its impact on the broader infrastructure. Playing on Good Friday means one fewer day off for train drivers, food vendors, ground employees, sports journalists, camera operators, statisticians, security guards, delivery drivers, AFL record floggers and the blokes who play the bagpipes.

Oh, and the players. If the current playing group represents a cross-section of Australian society then reason holds that at least some consider themselves deeply religious and would therefore prefer not to play. An informal survey of captains in 2009 showed that nine were in favour of Good Friday football and seven were opposed. That isn't a mandate for change.

Our verdict

This is a tough one. On the one hand, a Good Friday game would go a long way to reviving one of our most disappointing public holidays. On the other, the game has had more than enough modern development for now.

This issue crops up every year and every year the debate achieves nothing, so it's time to put it to rest. Sorry fans but Andrew Demetriou is right – the AFL doesn't need Good Friday football.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/good-friday-footy,-yay-or-nay/tabid/91/newsid/86388/default.aspx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
why the eff should some ancient fable dictate that there is no football on this day :banghead

You only have to read this forum today to see why having a public holiday during the football season, with no football, is not a good idea.
 :help
 andy  d, take note, you arrogant king canute.
 :rollin

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
why the eff should some ancient fable dictate that there is no football on this day :banghead

You only have to read this forum today to see why having a public holiday during the football season, with no football, is not a good idea.
 :help
 andy  d, take note, you arrogant king canute.
 :rollin

:yep

gerkin greg

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

That would be Christian "principles" as in ideals and not "principals" as in the head of a school.

:thumbsup

Pedant for years  :lol
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:50:49 PM by one-eyed »

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
For me the most pertinent thing that happens with regards to Good Friday is the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal.

If the AFL were to go ahead and schedule a match on Good Friday, then the AFL must plan for lets say  a large chunk of moneys from gate takings go to the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal.

Personally I don't want to see Good Friday footy not because I am a prude nor religious I am Greek Orthodox so yesterday would not have affected me, however I just think that we should just leave it vacant and not go ahead with playing.

In our fast paced world we just need to keep some traditions and not be influenced by others and what they do.

For the record the Royal Children Hospital Appeal raised a record $15,820,640.78. NOw that is something we all can be proud of. :clapping