Author Topic: "Little things" are improving: Simmonds  (Read 1335 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Little things" are improving: Simmonds
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:19:32 PM »
"Little things" are improving: Simmonds
By Jennifer Witham
richmondfc.com.au
Monday, April 30, 2007

"[ankle] It's pulled up the best it's pulled up tonight," Simmonds told richmondfc.com.au.

"That's a good sign, but it's taken me a few weeks to really get my match fitness up.

"I'm playing in bursts at the moment, but I'm definitely blowing out there and I'm really feeling it.

"Hopefully over the next couple of weeks, I'll just keep building up and get back up to it."
"It [not winning] is frustrating but we see the improvement. We see the small things changing around the club," he said.

"We've just got to keep working on that, keep working on the track, and keep working on things away from the club.

"We're getting there, and we're not too far away."

"We're sick of hearing about honourable losses. We were in a winning position, in front of our home crowd, four points down, and we let it slip," he said.

"It's just really disappointing. They're an experienced team, and they are experienced in that situation.

"There's just a few things that we didn't do well in that last 10 minutes, and it's hard to put a finger on it because it's all in the heat of moment, and I don't know exactly what happened."

"In the first quarter, we had an excellent run and carry type of game, and we really took it up to them," he said.

"In the second, we just played a bit of stationary footy and probably too much tempo footy, but there were certainly some good signs.

"Richard Tambling's first quarter was great, Luke McGuane was also good, so there were definitely some positive signs."

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42254

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: "Little things" are improving: Simmonds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
My day has improved just seeing Simmo's name ;) :wub :wub

Ox

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
Next captain - do it this week.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 02:08:56 PM »

"We're sick of hearing about honourable losses. We were in a winning position, in front of our home crowd, four points down, and we let it slip," he said. 

There is the problem. Too many of our players think getting within a kick is a good days work. Its not a winning position. You are in a winning position when the final siren goes and you are in front.

Couldn't imagine Voss saying that getting within 4 points is a winning position.

Cut the softcok mentality out.

The frightening thing is, Simmo is one of the tougher players in the group, doesn't say much for the rest.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »

There is the problem. Too many of our players think getting within a kick is a good days work. Its not a winning position. You are in a winning position when the final siren goes and you are in front.

Couldn't imagine Voss saying that getting within 4 points is a winning position.

Cut the softcok mentality out.

The frightening thing is, Simmo is one of the tougher players in the group, doesn't say much for the rest.

Agree totally.

What really annoys me about our club, and it's been happening for so long, is how easily they accept losing.  We don't fire a shot in anger.  Many teams beat us AND rub our noses in it yet we still don't retaliate.  So many times when the oppostion kick a goal, they swarm our players and bump and ruffle them up and give them a smile and a wink.  Our boys merely take it on the chin, drop their heads and walk away.  None seem to want to stand up and give it back.  At least get involved with the push and shove and get a weeks holiday if need be but don't just bend over and take it so easily.

It seems that they have no pride and merely line up for a pay cheque. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:57:27 PM »
I didn't read what Simmo said in that way. We were in a winning position. 18 points down at 3/4 time and you wind that back to just 4 in the first 10 minutes and have all the momemtum. You should win. We spent the next 5 minutes playing all over them in general play (the Eagles were making panic mistakes under our pressure) but we stuffed up the final kick going inside 50 because we weren't smart enough. We kept going to the wrong option like Foley going to Richo who was the decoy. The Eagles were flooding because we had them on the rack. We didn't make them pay because we couldn't score and once they caught us on the counterattack the pressure valve was released and we let them off the hook.

The side knows how to fightback and stay in the game unlike last year but we don't have that class or class players to get us over the line. Our classy young players show their inexperience and our senior players show their lack of class.

Agree though with Harry about us never giving the opposition a push and shove and not putting up with trash talk. On Saturday we kicked goal directly from a bad Eagle turnover in our forward line. I think it was Rowan Jones. Not one Tiger ran up to him to give it to him and rub his nose in it. We're too nice.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd