Author Topic: Media articles and stats - Another loss, but Tigers show promise  (Read 7892 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Media articles and stats - Power surge past timid Tigers
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »
Best: N Foley, G Tivendale, B Deledio, C Howat

Once again what game are these reporters watching
tiv must have won votes for theamount of ineffective disposal he had, maybe they gave him votes for helping teh power

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rout leaves Cats sharp, Tigers toothless
Rohan Connolly | May 14, 2007
The Age

FOR all the talk and column centimetres generated by Geelong's merciless hammering of a pathetic Richmond last week, it was the response of both that was always going to be discussed just as intently.

The Tigers simply had to show something, anything, against second-placed Port Adelaide, if an entire club was to avoid going into free fall. So, too, did the Cats, up against the competition's best.

Yesterday, all the pieces finally came together. So, a fortnight after one of their most disheartening losses in recent memory, the Cats look a legitimate contender.

That's obviously years away for the subject of last week's battering, Richmond coach Terry Wallace choosing to spare the Tigers' already damaged psyche further bruising after their 40-point loss to the Power.

What choice does he have? Save for the Geelong nightmare, there's been little to fault in Richmond's effort and application, in evidence again at AAMI Stadium against the Power. Until yesterday, the Tigers were the only side to beat West Coast for contested ball this year.

But execution is another story. Port Adelaide pounced on every error the Tigers made on Saturday. And Richmond butchered any chance to pull off a fairytale rebound with a second quarter 0.7 to be seven goals down at half-time and with hopes extinguished.

Effort is admirable, but with the finesse not about to come overnight and the "play the kids" charter now cast in stone, it's going to be a long, steep and painful learning curve for the younger Tigers, Adelaide away on Friday night the next daunting task.

Geelong, in contrast, looks the goods again. It plays Fremantle at home on Saturday. Unlike the Tigers, it already has most of the boxes ticked. A win over the Dockers — a third victory in three matches — and you can add consistency to that crucial checklist.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/rout-leaves-cats-sharp-tigers-toothless/2007/05/13/1178994998088.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers test fans' loyalty, character
Tim Lane | May 14, 2007
The Age

THE airport check-in man was friendly and welcoming, but winced as he realised I was headed for Adelaide. He's a Tiger and was still raw from the previous week. Told me his young son had been a mascot for the day; the day Richmond suffered the worst defeat in its history.

The best I could offer by way of solace was to suggest it might be character building. He said his son had already endured enough character construction to last a lifetime. Port Adelaide would be certain to test it again.

Another weekend and more history: a seventh straight defeat. Richmond is off to its worst start to a season. This is lightning striking twice. In their 100th year in the competition, the Tigers are at their lowest ebb.

Players made sacrifices to try to atone for last week's disgrace. Kane Johnson took responsibility in front of the media. Richard Tambling insisted on training with a badly injured shoulder. Jay Schulz iced his thigh injury right through Sunday night so that he might recover in time to play.

But without Troy Simmonds in the ruck it was always going to be mission impossible. Brendon Lade and Dean Brogan are as powerful a big man duo as there is in modern football. The Power controlled play from the outset. At face value, a 40-point defeat was a par score for Richmond.

It flattered the Tigers though. The game was dead as a contest by half-time. On the trend of the second quarter, another 100-point hiding wasn't out of the question. Terry Wallace lamented that the quarter yielded seven behinds, but only one came from a set shot inside 50. None of the others could be regarded as a genuinely bad miss. The Tigers were being overwhelmed and having to grab at half chances.

Worse still, when they kicked behinds Port prospered. In this era of emphasis on forward pressure, Richmond's ability to restrict its opponent's freedom from the kick-in was non-existent. A team that was supposedly manning up, somehow allowed its opposition to run amok.

One of Port's six goals for the quarter came from Daniel Motlop on the end of what looked like a half-pace, length-of-the-ground, training drill. Wallace can't have been happy, and had it been training Mark Williams mightn't have been either. Witches' hats apply more pressure.

The Tigers won the second half and could derive some pride from that. In a game that only ever looked capable of providing one result, it was an achievement of sorts. It was hard to gauge from Williams' response whether the Power had eased off.

When asked about it on television, Port's coach had a gentle shot at commentators who make such judgements. When asked by the assembled media later, he acknowledged a degree of disappointment.

Williams can be a little contrary, but there's a lot to admire in his leadership. He's robust, colourful and has defied the critics in his reinvention of the Power since the 2004 flag. He's fortunate in that he still has 11 premiership players on his list and half a dozen of them are in the top bracket. What Wallace would give for a Tredrea, a couple of Burgoynes, a pair of Cornes and a Lade.

The Tigers' list lacks such stars and there's no immediate sign of the gloom lifting. One well-credentialled, Melbourne-based observer said over the weekend he doubted they'd win a game for the year. That hasn't happened since 1964, so history suggests a turn of the wheel at some stage.

For the sake of the check-in man and his son, I hope it comes sooner than expected. He gave me a good seat, for which I was grateful. You'd like to be able to say more than keep the faith.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-test-fans-loyalty-character/2007/05/13/1178994997049.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Media articles - Tigers a loss away from their worst start (The Age)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 04:57:12 AM »
Tigers a loss away from their worst start
Geoff McClure
The Age
May 14, 2007

COACH Terry Wallace warned Richmond fans that a long haul is ahead of them but even the extreme pessimists among them would not have envisaged this.

A search of records has revealed that the Tigers' 0-7 start to the season, which was capped off with a 40-point loss to Port Adelaide on Saturday, is the first time they have failed to win any of their first seven games since 1887, Richmond's third season in the VFA. Then, it at least managed to draw two of them.

But get this - the Tigers never started a season with eight losses, meaning that history awaits this weekend when they return to Adelaide to take on the Crows.

But it's not just the fans who are frustrated - so are the punters. Like the TAB Sportsbet client who, on Saturday, outlaid $20,000 on a line bet that allowed the Tigers to lose by up to 39 1/2 points, meaning that had Greg Tivendale not missed a relatively easy goal late in the last quarter, the punter would have won $18,000.

And as proof of what a topsy-turvy season it is, while the Tigers' premiership hopes have all but disappeared - they are now $501 in flag betting - the four-in-a-row Kangaroos, who a month ago were $251, have now shortened to $31.

Which is why one faithful Roos punter will be happy with the $100 he had on them at $251 for a collect of $25,000. The Roos, though, remain the least-backed team in the league. Of the $550,000 invested with Sportsbet on the flag, only $4700 has been on Dean Laidley's team.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tigers-a-loss-away-from-their-worst-start/2007/05/13/1178994994119.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Media articles - Tigers a loss away from their worst start (The Age)
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 04:09:49 PM »

And as proof of what a topsy-turvy season it is, while the Tigers' premiership hopes have all but disappeared - they are now $501 in flag betting - the four-in-a-row Kangaroos, who a month ago were $251, have now shortened to $31.

Which is why one faithful Roos punter will be happy with the $100 he had on them at $251 for a collect of $25,000.
Why would he be happy? He's still going to lose his hundred bucks.  :lol

Punters logic.  ??? Go figure.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Life goes on

Re: Media articles and stats - Another loss, but Tigers show promise
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
Its call laying off, the punter would be able to take bets from people who wanted to back the Kangas to win the flag , so he is a non -lose situation.
Example being he could offer someone 40-1 and they have 200 with him , thus he is 100 ahead on the deal. 100 to cover his original bet and 100 in his pocket
Pretty smart I reckon

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
You've lost me, Jack. Not hard to do when it comes to punting.

I thought you just put money on something happening (eg Norf winning the flag like the joker in the article) and if it doesn't happen you do your dough. If it does happen you win at what the odds were when you placed your bet.

ps Good luck to him finding someone else to back the kangas for winning the flag.

Life goes on

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 05:19:55 PM »
I wont confuse you but basically he cant lose.
If someone wants to back the Roos, he can offer odds and the money will come out of his initial bet at the start of the year..If the kangas did win lets say, he would keep 17,000 and give the other 8000 if he laid the bet 200 at 40-1 .
If the Kanga dont win it, and he can lay off , he still wins $100 overall, more if he wants to lay off more.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
Jack is right. In other words, the punter can hedge his bet to eliminate his risk (of losing the initial $100 he put on).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »
whats the outlet to hedge the bet?

Life goes on

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »
betfair.com.au ;)

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 07:24:52 PM »
that could be a nice little earner lol doing that stuff ;D

Life goes on

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »
Especially if anyone took the 12-1 the tiges to win the spoon and now there odds on. I didnt unfortunately

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »
Thanks for educating me a bit on punting, Jack.  :)
I know heaps more than I did earlier than this arvo, which was how to back a horse in the Melbourne Cup at the TAB.   :D
Doubt I'll ever use my new knowledge, I'm content to stay ignorant about betting and blow my hard earned on something I'd enjoy.

ps I still hope the bloke loses his bet (maybe he's just a mug who, like me, is not up with hedging bets). Someone's going to lose because the roos aint gonna win the flag.