Author Topic: Matthew Kreuzer in Richmond's sights  (Read 3100 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matthew Kreuzer in Richmond's sights
« on: May 13, 2007, 05:26:21 AM »

Great hope: TAC Cup ruckman and possible Richmond young hopeful Matt Kreuzer. Picture: Aaron Francis

Big man in Richmond's sights
13 May 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

NORTHERN Knights ruckman Matthew Kreuzer could be Richmond's long-term ruck solution, as he shapes as the best big man in this year's national draft.

While the national championships will determine whether Kreuzer is eclipsed by the fleet of talented onballers as the No. 1 pick, recruiters say he is a certain top-3 selection.

His superb last fortnight has coincided with Richmond's continual struggles. The Tigers this week admitted they needed to address their rucking weaknesses.

Kreuzer, 199cm and also capable of playing as a power forward, recently ran an incredible 14.5 beep test.

Two weeks ago against the Geelong Falcons he starred with what recruiters said was one of the best individual games in the TAC Cup. Then last week, playing for the first three quarters at full-forward against Sandringham, he had 19 touches, 21 hitouts in attack, seven marks and kicked 3.2.

Kreuzer turns 18 today and, despite the fanfare, is known as a well-balanced teenager.

"I am just trying not to think about any of it," Kreuzer said of his future.

"I just want to play football and try to get a kick every week. Last week I played all right and kicked a few goals, but I am just taking it as it comes."

The Magpies supporter has been helped by coming through the Knights' development system with potential first-round picks Patrick Veszpremi, Trent Cotchin and Jack Grimes. Knights captain Grimes, 18 last Friday, and vice-captain Kruezer have attended the AIS-AFL Academy, while Cotchin could be a top-five selection.

AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan said while it was too early to start rating top-five candidates, Kreuzer had thrust his name in front of recruiters.

"They all emerge at different rates, but recently he has taken another step up to confirm he is an obvious talent," Sheehan said.

So far, Kreuzer has shunned attention from player managers and other outside influences. The Loyola College student is doing a Year-12 program which allows him to work a day a week at father Frank's scrap-metal business.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21719933%255E19742,00.html

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Matthew Kreuzer in Richmond's sights
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:43:59 AM »
Without knowing a great deal about these kids, sounds just what we need and would be extremly dissapointed if we do not go for someone like this first up ( Even if he is not considered the best of the so called crop) if he is close to the top grab him.

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 06:17:42 AM »
It would be a massive spew if Carlton only won 4 games this year and got the first pick irrespective of how many games we win lol.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
the spoon is ours dont worry about that and i cant see us winning more than 3 games , actually we will be lucky to win 2

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:06:31 AM »
the spoon is ours dont worry about that and i cant see us winning more than 3 games , actually we will be lucky to win 2

Yeah X,

But Ramps is saying if Carlton win less than 4 games they get the number 1 priority pick regardless of whether they finish last or not.

We're going to be stooged again.  :scream  :(
EAT EM ALIVE!

Bulluss

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
Priority picks are now after the first round is finished.

if we finish last we have first pick in the draft.

blx

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 01:33:53 PM »

i've heard theres special priority if you finish with less than a certain amount of games over two years.

As it stands for Carlton if they only win 4 games this year they'll be up for the first pick.

Can someone nut this situation out please...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »

That's what I thought too Bully.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:10:37 PM »

But Ramps is saying if Carlton win less than 4 games they get the number 1 priority pick regardless of whether they finish last or not.

Good point by Ramps. That's how I understand it to work.
That's a flaw in the new system, if it is the case.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
How can that be? ???

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
IMHO theres a fair chance that if the AFL clearly sees that we will finish beneath Carlton and that they will get a pre 1st round priority that they will change it to something thats fair.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »
Doesn't really say much for the NAB cup does it?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
does not matter, the blues have 2 wins and will have 3 when they play us next. they will win at leat 3 or 4 more games . they have a coach who has passion and pride unlike us

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:25:09 PM »
and they still get priority picks?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
and they still get priority picks?

not if tehy win more than 4 games this yr iirc