Author Topic: Well done Greg Beck  (Read 4591 times)

Bulluss

Well done Greg Beck
« on: July 22, 2004, 08:17:09 PM »
Greg Beck has been continually bagged by supporters from various forums for a fair period of time. I think its time now that i/we actually turn the tables and give him some credit. Looking in from the outside of our club, it has only been Beck working by himself for a  number of years and just imagine trying to ge around to the games and trying to watch all of the kids and thats just in Victoria what about interstate also.

My opinion is that since Miller has come to the club he has helped provide more resources to Beck and hence our recruiting has improved. You have to remember that someone might give you a player they think can play, if you are busy you might only see them play once or twice and they could either star or play crap and thats all you have on them. With increased resources it allows the club to watch players longer and see how they perform over a period of time rather than just a game or two.

Just look at the players we have picked up over the last year.

Hartigan, Moore, Jackson, Roach, Raines.

All of these players look set to have a long history with us. Becks call to take Haritgan late was brilliant, Miller said himself that he thought he would go in the first 2 rounds and to pick up Jackson and Moore from outside of the TAC is also another fantastic effort.

So well done to the RFC and Greg Beck.

I hope that you can continue this good form! :thumbsup

Ox

Re: Well done Greg Beck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »
Hartigan, Moore, Jackson, Roach, Raines

I've got my Mel Maningas crossed that these lads show some pedigree.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »
I also hope the above mentioned players turn out to become something. Too early to tell at the moment whether they will though.

Remeber Rodan looked like a world beater when he first came on the scene? A couple of years later and now he is looking at being delisted. So let's wait and see what becomes of these kids.

froars

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »
Geez Bully, are you related to Beck? I cannot possibly give any credit to this guy until he earns it.  You say these are good picks, yet I've seen nothing but youthful enthusiasm from them.  Come back in a year or so when we've seen more of them. 
I mean no disrespect, but the enthusiasm some Richmond supporters show for anything they might be able to hang their hat on is sad.  We did it with Gieschen and look where that got us. I personally hope Beck gets the old heave ho at the end of the year.  He's brought nothing but misery and the worst bunch of hacks this club's ever seen.  At least in the '80s, early '90s, having no money was an excuse for the players we got.  But there's no excuse for Beck and anyone else at this club over the last couple of years - they've all got to go.

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 06:20:03 AM »
I actually agree withBully on this one.
Recruiting for footy clubs is an extreemely difficult job and basically it more of a lottery.
How did Essendob get James Hird at Pick 69 or whatever.
We pick Rodan a dual best and fairest and he hasnt reallt gone on. There might be other issues in the kids life you know, And with Petiifer,he was a gun at TAC level, why wouldnt you pick him up, if you seen him at TAC, you would have been very pleased with our choice, he just hasnt gone on.
Just remember when we were all 18 years of age, you buy a car which then is a big deal, you move out of home and live with someone other than you family which most of our recruits have, your whole life changes, some kids cant adjust to change either, They have money in there pocket, more than the average wage earner I might add.
Yeah Greg Beck is a dud for getting Cogs Krak Jackson, Haritgan,newman. I think not !

Bulluss

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 08:31:25 AM »
Sorry Froars, but if you really look at some of the players that we have had over the years that Beck has bought to the club they are skilled players.

It has been our development of these players which has halted their careers.

The fact that we drafted Moore and Jackson shows that we are looking beyond the circle which to me is pleasing. Not all good players get to play TAC.

It shows to me that we are starting to look down every avenue that we can possibly think of and that can only be a good thing.

If you look at players like Jackson, Hartigan and Moore they all have skill and talent. If they dont come on as players then it isnt Becks fault. It is the coaching staff developing them.

froars

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 09:40:31 AM »
I guess i just look at the bottom line - results.
Cogs and Newman are the only players he can hang his hat on at the moment.
Even Krak, Jackson, and the rest you mentioned are still yet to prove themselves. You can't possibly tell me they're going to be stars no matter how good they look at the moment.
So tell me something, who does take the blame? 
What's the process down there that makes the club take recycled hacks all the time.  I know that's not Beck's fault, but when you add all those miserable failures and not seeing any young kid of any real substance (except Cogs) come through the ranks of the club, i have to question Beck's credentials.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 09:49:12 AM »
Im with Froars on this one!

We are the worst performing club in the AFL/VFL over the last 20 years, highlighting several promising players doesnt cut it in my book, were second last on the ladder with not even a hope of making finals football in the next few seasons, Its time for Beck to go enough is enough!  ???

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 04:24:26 PM »
I think Miller needs to take a fair amount of the credit for the recent recruiting.  Because we now seem to have some direction in our recruiting and we gradually seem to be going away from the mentality of recruiting players to fill a need for the short-term, because many of the players recruited last year are long-term prospects.

Maybe it’s too early to know how good these players will be, but if we need to wait to win a premiership to get excited, it’s a long time to go without being able to enjoy the footy.  And anyway, when you’ve barracked for Richmond long enough, you know not to get carried away with one good win, or even a few, by the team, or one good game by a player.

From my point of view, the reason I see that there is so much enthusiasm about the younger players coming through now is because there is a noticeable difference in their attitude, the way they go about their football and how they present off the field, to what we have seen from others in the past.

The young players we are recruiting now seem to be more than just good footballers.  There are no certainties with any of them, but I enjoy seeing them take on the opposition, making mistakes but still maintaining their concentration levels, confidence and enthusiasm.  To me, those sorts of things are a big deal and enough to be enthusiastic about, especially when we’re getting beaten.

And those who eventually make it, will, in the future, help lead the way when things get tough, because they will still have enough spirit and fight to do the Richmond jumper proud, win or lose, just as they do now.

Whoever needs to take the credit, good on 'em.  :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 04:52:28 PM »
I always felt Beck was good a scoring a surprise late pick but failed when it came with the all important early picks. IIRC he started with us in 1996 (?)

Not including trades, PSD or AFL players recruited from other clubs as they can be blamed on the coaches decisions at the time:

96: Steinfort, Chaffey, Manfield, McKee, Frewen, Donati   
97: Ottens, Proctor, Greenham, A.Kellaway
98: White, Dragicevic, Greig, Hall
99:  Fiora, Poyas, Homewood, Mills, Zantuck
00:  Pettifer, Coughlan, Hyde, Krakouer, Newman
01: Rodan, McGrath
02: Schulz, Sipthorp
03: Gilmour, Roach, Jackson, Raines, Hartigan

1 A-grade player (well most likely in Cogs) in 8 drafts isn't much of a record. Still question marks on the others. A.Kellaway, Hall, Zantuck and Newman weren't bad late picks. Two potentially good years in 8 (2000,2003) is nothing to write home about plus Miller would of had alot of say last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 05:22:05 PM »
I always felt Beck was good a scoring a surprise late pick but failed when it came with the all important early picks. IIRC he started with us in 1996 (?)

Not including trades, PSD or AFL players recruited from other clubs as they can be blamed on the coaches decisions at the time:

1 A-grade player (well most likely in Cogs) in 8 drafts isn't much of a record. Still question marks on the others. A.Kellaway, Hall, Zantuck and Newman weren't bad late picks. Two potentially good years in 8 (2000,2003) is nothing to write home about plus Miller would of had alot of say last year.

2001 2001 were shocking years.  We will feel the effects of them in years to come (if we can get worse than currently) unless this new batch of kids really come on quickly.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 06:00:41 PM »

2001 2001 were shocking years.  We will feel the effects of them in years to come (if we can get worse than currently) unless this new batch of kids really come on quickly.

As was the year 99. Beck blew it big time going for Fiora instead of Pavlic and Zantuck is on the verge of getting the ars.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 04:20:21 AM »
2001 2002 were shocking years.  We will feel the effects of them in years to come (if we can get worse than currently) unless this new batch of kids really come on quickly.

It has taken from the finals in 2001 until this year for the Club to finally face reality and realise how shocking we really are as a footy side and as a playing list. The lack of drafting youth in those two years you mention Harry only accelerated our downward spiral on the footy field. The rest of the competition in the main left us behind as they had two drafts of young talent to improve their sides while we were trying to place band-aids over gaping flaws by recruiting the likes of Hudson, Houlihan, Fleming, Nichols, etc.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 04:04:19 PM »
I don't think it is any coincidence that 2 of the teams that played in the prelim finals in 2001 both overrated their lists and thought they were closer to a premiership than what was reality. As a result Richmond and Hawthorn both recruited according to this belief and now both occupy positions 16 & 15 on the AFL ladder.  :banghead

The one positive that the Tigers can hang its hat on is the fact that we did take 5-6 kids last season.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 04:17:06 PM »
The one positive that the Tigers can hang its hat on is the fact that we did take 5-6 kids last season.

We woke up how bad we were probably a year ahead them as they still believed (as Peter Schwab said) they could win the premiership before this season started. It maybe bias but if I was a coach after a job I would take Richmond over Hawthorn any day. At least we have kids who show signs coming through our ranks although they are still raw. That's gotta be in our favour.