Author Topic: Tuesdays with Terry and Richo  (Read 1105 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuesdays with Terry and Richo
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
Wallace feels pressure at Punt Road
17/07/2007 4:48:35 PM
John Clark
Sportal

Full article at: http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/AFL-news-display/wallace-feels-pressure-at-punt-road-31336

"Any coach that is in a losing environment feels the pressure," Wallace said.

"You come and live in any of our shoes for a while and read the letters, have a look at the e-mails you get, we're all not oblivious to talkback radio and everything else that goes on in the sporting life. That's the nature of the business that you're in."

"It's a wonderful job when you're successful and it's a pretty tough job when you're not successful. I knew that."

"From that aspect of it I am not feeling any more than anyone else would be in the same circumstances. It's disappointing where we're at, but we're still working along the lines that we believe we're in better shape."

"It's quite amazing this industry, it flicks either way so quickly. If you go back six weeks we were in all sorts of trouble as a football club and were going nowhere," Wallace said.

"Then we had a couple of good weeks where we played with some real flair and run and carry and everyone said 'I think they are actually in better shape than what we thought they were and they are travelling OK'."

"Six minutes to go before three-quarter time on the weekend (against Hawthorn) we were 10 points behind and you lose by 50 (points) and it's almost like the walls are falling down again."

"We can't react to those sorts of things. We have to just keep working on what we know we can work on. The only thing you have to be careful of is keeping your head down a little bit because every time you open your mouth it sounds like an excuse."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to play finals footy again: Richo (AAP)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »
Tigers to play finals footy again: Richo
July 17, 2007 - 7:14PM
AAP

Richmond star Matthew Richardson is confident he will get another taste of finals football before he finishes his tumultuous AFL career.

Richardson plays his 250th game on Sunday, against Port Adelaide, and believes he has at least another two seasons in him as he chases his dream of team success for his beloved Tigers.

The key forward has played only one finals series - 2001, he missed the 1995 campaign with a knee injury - in his 15-season career and will again be an onlooker this September as Richmond are headed for the wooden spoon.

Richardson maintains he has never regretted one moment since first signing as a 17-year-old despite Richmond's prolonged struggles, but admits he is more desperate to play more finals the older he gets.

He is adamant it is a realistic goal.

"That's why you play footy," said Richardson, 32, on Tuesday.

"If you haven't got any hope there, what's the point of playing?

"There's no reason why I still don't hope to play in finals football for the Richmond Football Club.

"You look at Hawthorn, this time last year you wouldn't be thinking they'd be second on the ladder, so it just shows you how quickly it can turn around.

"I'm still very hopeful that while I'm at this club that we'll get some success."

Few players are capable of mixing the extraordinary and inexplicable as Richardson, who was recruited from Devonport under the father-son rule in 1992 because his father Alan played 103 games for Richmond, including the 1967 premiership.

For every high mark, long goal and superhuman effort there has been a missed set shot and emotional outburst.

Richardson admits he has given Richmond fans reason for frustration over the years, but cherishes the way he is adored by most at Tigerland.

He also makes no apologies for so playing with his heart on his sleeve in an age when the number of the game's great on-field characters are dwindling.

"What happens in football is once you get a perception about you early on it's very hard to change," he said.

"You could do everything right for five years and then you do one thing that people might associate with you and all of a sudden it's like you've been doing it every week for five years."

In a further admission of honesty, Richardson put his mercurial goal kicking down to the pressure of performing.

"If you're 55 metres out it's probably a bonus if you kick a goal, whereas it's pretty obvious if you're 20 metres out you should kick it, so mentally it's a whole different kettle of fish," he said.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has no doubts who he can call on when it matters, as Richardson was the No.1 for inspiring his teammates.

"Any time when we get into a situation where you need someone to stand up, or something needs to be done, or it's a big moment or a big game coming up, then it's Matthew leading the way in those sort of areas," he said.

Wallace said the Tigers would dearly love to upset Port to honour their forward in his milestone game.

"We'd love it from that aspect," he said.

"Obviously from our position as well, it's been a very, very long, arduous season so any victory is pretty sweet-tasting at this stage of the year."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Tigers-to-play-finals-footy-again-Richo/2007/07/17/1184559783034.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No regrets for Richo (RFC)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »
No regrets for Richo
5:47 PM Tue 17 July, 2007
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

“NO REGRETS” is how Matthew Richardson has described his time at the Richmond Football Cub. ‘Richo’, who plays his 250th game on Sunday, says there is no greater place for him to be celebrating his milestone match.

“For me, if you play all of your footy at one club, it means a little bit more,” Richardson said about his time at Punt Rd.

“To play my 250th game at the club you supported as a kid is probably that little bit extra special.” 

Coach Terry Wallace believes the feeling will be mutual when the club’s supporters flock to the MCG on Sunday.

“I think when genuine Richmond people talk about the footy club, they talk about Matthew being the heart and soul of the place. They love to come and watch him on a weekly basis.”

“He has been a great ambassador for the club and we all congratulate him,” Wallace said

It has been a long road for the Tasmanian, who kicked 31 goals in his debut season in 1993 and played 15 rollercoaster seasons since.

Five coaches and 727 goals later, ‘Richo’ sits third on Richmond’s all-time goalkicking list, behind Jack Titus (970) and Kevin Bartlett (778) and is heralded as one the club’s best players. However, the 32-year-old, says it did not always seem like things were going to pan out that way.

“A few stages there, I didn’t think I would make it to this many games,” he said.

“But over the last three or four years, the body has been feeling pretty good and, touch wood, my body can hold up for a bit longer yet.”

Despite winning the club’s goalkicking 11 times since his debut, Richo has never won the club’s best and fairest. But it's been finals, not individual awards, that have been the driving force behind his desire to continue.

“As you get older, you get a little more desperate,” he said regarding playing finals with Richmond.

"If I get to do that, it will be a pretty sweet moment.”

In the meantime, Richardson says he will be savouring every game.

“It is the old story. When you first come in, everyone tells you how quickly it is going to go and that is correct,” he said.

“It seems not long ago I was coming over to Melbourne from Tassie at the end of 1992 – so it has flown by."

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=47461

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuesdays with Terry and Richo (Sport 927 audio)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:03:20 PM »
Sport 927 recorded the Terry and Richo media conference:

The Richmond star forward spoke to the media today ahead of his 250th for the Tigers on the weekend against Port Adelaide. Richardson reflected on what has been a career full of highs and lows...

http://www.sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/RovingAudio/RICHARDSON%20250.asx

Passionfruit

Re: Tuesdays with Terry and Richo
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
Does the press actually go anymore.
Last I seen the girl from Dandenong Advertiser was there along the young kid from the Mordialloc times :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »

I think the answer is yes Jack - seeing it was on the Ch7 news and Fox Sports News
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Passionfruit

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:16 PM »

I think the answer is yes Jack - seeing it was on the Ch7 news and Fox Sports News

Just trying to add a bit of humour on this cold nite :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »
Just trying to add a bit of humour on this cold nite :lol

I thought the humour was supposedly to be found in the in the Sheedy threads & rumours  :whistle

No that i find it funny  ;D

Passionfruit

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:10:40 PM »
Did I tell you the joke about the Snake Oil Skin salesman ?
I wont :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
Did I tell you the joke about the Snake Oil Skin salesman ?
I wont :lol

Good :thumbsup ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers coach denies he's under pressure (The Age)
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:59:53 AM »
Tigers coach denies he's under pressure
July 17, 2007 - 7:57PM
The Age

Richmond coach Terry Wallace says he is under no more pressure than most of his AFL rivals this season despite his side languishing in last place with only one win from 15 games.

Wallace is also confident with the Tigers' long-term progress at just over the halfway point of his five-year contract, even though they have slipped well behind their results of the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

The Tigers have won one game and drawn one this season and have a difficult passage to go, playing an aspiring finalist every week for the final seven weeks, starting with Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Wallace coached the Tigers to 12th spot in 2005 and ninth last year with an 11-11 split.

"Any coach that is in a losing environment feels the pressure," he said.

"You come and live in any of our shoes for a while and read the letters, have a look at the emails you get, we're all not oblivious to talkback radio and everything else that goes on in the sporting life.

"That's the nature of the business that you're in.

"It's a wonderful job when you're successful and it's a pretty tough job when you're not successful. I knew that.

"From that aspect of it I am not feeling any more than anyone else would be in the same circumstances.

"It's disappointing where we're at, but we're still working along the lines that we believe we're in better shape."

Wallace, who is contracted until 2009, maintained his comfort with Richmond's rebuilding process, as rebuilding from the draft took time.

"My situation was to get this shop in order," he said.

"I knew there was going to be some bullets fired in doing so and I think that's why the club needed someone who'd been in that firing line before and understood what it takes.

"That's fine. We'll go through that and we'll come out the other side of it without any problems whatsoever.

"That's our lot at this stage."

http://news.realfooty.com.au/tigers-coach-denies-hes-under-pressure/20070417-o9g.html