Author Topic: Sunday's Richo 250th media articles  (Read 828 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sunday's Richo 250th media articles
« on: July 22, 2007, 04:17:41 AM »
Richmond keen to lift on Richardson's special day
Carley Jellett | July 22, 2007 | The Age

A WIN for the Tigers today would not only be a great way to honour Matthew Richardson in his 250th game, but it would also kickstart momentum as Richmond looks to next season.

Richmond assistant coach Brian Royal said the main focus was to be competitive in the remaining seven matches, starting with today's game against Port Adelaide at the MCG.

"From our point of view as a group, we just want to try to get some momentum going into next season, so you try to gain some confidence from finishing off strongly," he said at training yesterday.

"Our form probably hasn't been great lately, so it's pretty important that we not only look to win the game, but be really competitive in the game. I guess with seven games to go, and only one win, it is important you don't bottom out totally towards the end of the season."

Royal said the players would lift today for Richardson's milestone, comparing the forward to the Kangaroos' "Shinboner of the century", Glenn Archer.

"There are a lot of people out there who probably don't think milestone games mean a lot for the team. But when you've got someone special like Matthew Richardson, it's probably a little bit like Glenn Archer for the Kangaroos. They are special people, they have been around for a long, long time and I think the fans would really enjoy 'Richo' coming off the ground on the players' shoulders with a win."

With 727 goals, Richardson's value on-field is undeniable, and Royal said his presence off-field was also a major asset.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/richmond-keen-to-lift-on-richardsons-special-day/2007/07/21/1184560108855.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo - Richmond's fan on the field (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 04:19:17 AM »
Richmond's fan on the field
Martin Boulton | July 22, 2007 | The Age

DAVID Norman has been watching Richmond play footy for a long time.

President of the cheer squad since 1980, the one-eyed Tigers fan proudly declares he hasn't missed a game since round three, 1972.

"Of all the players I've met in that time, and there's been some great blokes, without doubt the nicest one has been Matthew Richardson — by a country mile," he said.

"You go to a training session or a supporter's barbecue and he's always the last one out there having a kick with the kids or signing autographs.

"It warms your heart to see what he does for people."

The eldest son of Richmond premiership player Alan "Bull" Richardson, "Richo" was a passionate Tigers' fan from a young age and dreamed of playing the game at the highest level. His dreams were always in yellow and black.

A gifted athlete, he grew up in Tasmania and played for Devonport, but it wasn't long before Richmond came knocking. Having watched his rapid development, the Tigers secured Richo under the father-and-son rule and he made his debut against St Kilda in 1993.

"We didn't know much about him, but everyone said he probably would have gone No. 1 in the draft … you've got to look forward to that sort of thing," Norman told The Sunday Age.

"Let's face it, we weren't flying at the time and having a big, athletic kid come along was pretty exciting.

"I remember an early practice match at Skinners Reserve in Sunshine when he took a screamer, climbed all over the top of (former Kangaroos player) Mick Martyn in the goal square … fantastic stuff."

Some of the great Richo moments will no doubt be recalled in detail today when he plays his 250th game at the MCG, the scene of his 10-goal haul against the Western Bulldogs in round eight, 2004.

Former Tigers' captain Wayne Campbell, now an assistant coach at the Bulldogs, was watching from the sidelines that day and will never forget watching Richardson snag goal after goal.

"It was like all that was good about Richmond came out on that one day," he said.

"To see the crowd rise as he kicked every goal was a special footy moment … he's certainly entertaining, there's no doubt about that."

There have been rumours he may change clubs, but Campbell said that is never likely because his mate is "a very, very strong Richmond person" and it "wouldn't be right" to end his career at another club.

He's topped the club's goal kicking 11 times and has 727 heading into today's match, but whether he's on target or not, Richardson has been of the game's great entertainers and most passionate competitors.

Just days after suffering a fractured eye-socket in round eight this year, the two-time All-Australian told stunned coach Terry Wallace he was right play the next game against Essendon.

And play he did. Richo booted four goals in a thrilling encounter, almost winning the game in the dying seconds with his fifth goal, only to have it snatched away by a controversial umpiring decision.

He was gracious in defeat, but the look of disbelief on his face when the umpire changed the script typified the passionate way Richo has always played the game.

"People love him because of the way he plays," Campbell said.

"He's just as passionate and tries as hard as he ever has, (and) in a side that's not having a great year, he's still been able to perform very well."

Another former skipper, Matthew Knights, said he wasn't surprised to see Richardson overcome the odds and line up against the Bombers in round nine.

"It didn't surprise me one bit — his resilience is first class and his courage is amazing," he said.

"He's never flinched in marking contests, either going back with the flight or jumping on a pack, and his ability to push through fatigue is excellent."

Tigers fans, according to Knights, have loved "riding the bumps with him through every contest" in a career that's pushed him to third on the club's list of goal-kicking greats.

David Norman believes Richardson is really "a supporter who happens to be good at playing footy" and his passion for the club will have a lasting effect, long after he's retired.

"He'll be responsible for 10,000 members in 20 years' time, thanks to all the little things he's done for kids, he's captured them and made them Tigers forever."

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/richmonds-fan-on-the-field/2007/07/21/1184560108870.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rejoice Richo's passion (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:21:54 AM »
Rejoice Richo's passion
22 July 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

STEVE SILVAGNI, AFL's team-of-the-century full-back whose last opponent in his 312 games was the Tiger forward.

"He was hard working, and always difficult because he is about six foot five (195cm), can run like a gazelle and very strong. I will never forget my last game because I played on 'Richo' (2001 semi-final, Tigers won by 11 points). He was really gifted and tried his a--- off every time he played.

"He was an emotional type of player and someone you could tell had passion for the game and passion for his footy club. You could sense he was hurting when the side was losing."

Full-back DARREN GASPAR, who played alongside Richardson for a dozen years before retiring mid-year.

"When you play with someone for so long you just enjoy their company. He is actually a really funny guy. He doesn't mind taking the p--- out of himself, or making himself the fool.

"Definitely, from the outside, people have a different perception of what he's like. He's been harshly judged over the years, but he's a great person to have at the club.

"People always ask you, 'What's Richo like', thinking you will give them a negative response, but it's totally the opposite of what people think. Hopefully it's turned around a fair bit in recent years.

"He's copped a lot of flak about his kicking, but if you have a look at his percentage scoring rate he's up there with Barry Hall. He's kicked over 700 goals (727) and there aren't many players who can say they have done that."

WAYNE CAMPBELL, Richo's close friend and captain from 2001-04.

"I still remember the day he kicked 10 against the Bulldogs at the MCG (Round 8, 2004). I was in the coaches' box and it was a regret of mine that I didn't play.

"I just remember becoming a supporter for a short period of time and thinking: 'This is bloody good to be a part of.' The Tigers haven't had too much to smile about over the past 20 years, but it was almost like it was worthwhile on the afternoon.

"It was a bit the same for his 200th game at Telstra Dome . . . he took a really big hanger when we were about five goals down against Port Adelaide and we came back. He was always entertaining"

MATT HORNSBY has been the Tigers' elite performance manager for much of Richo's time at the club.

"I think the thing that amazes me is that his capacity to continually cover huge ground week-in week-out hasn't reduced at all in the seven years I have been at the footy club.

"For a guy who is now over 30 years of age, and is the oldest player on our list, he is similar to Robert Harvey at St Kilda.

"He covers midfield distances, generally around (15km), and there are a lot of high-intensity efforts in his GPS profiles, repeated high-intensity efforts as opposed to just grinding out distances like some midfielders."

DUNCAN KELLAWAY, who shared his debut with Richardson in Round 7, 1993. Kellaway had 27 possessions and Richardson 20.

"I can remember it was St Kilda at the 'G and I don't think the club had been going too well, so they brought a couple of young blokes in and we won by about 40 points.

"I was down back and Richo was up forward and was just a big young lanky bloke who could really run, and both of us got a kick.

"That day 'Spud' (Danny Frawley) was on him for a little bit, so the old veteran was running around after him with his head about to drop off."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22111499%255E19742,00.html