Author Topic: Browny re-signs for another 2 years / Browny back to his best  (Read 2322 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown's Tiger vow
05 August 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

RICHMOND forward Nathan Brown has declared his best football is still to come as he prepares to sign on for another two years at Tigerland.

As the Tigers tried to regroup from their 70-point mauling by the classy Cats, football director Greg Miller revealed Brown's deal would be finalised this week.

It was welcome news for a man who considers himself a "Tiger for life" and a club in desperate need of strong leadership.

Brown, 29, has not been able to deliver on that this year because of complications with the right leg he broke playing against Melbourne in 2005.

It was clear after the match he has yet to fully heal, with the leg still badly bruised and swollen.

Despite Brown's lack of fitness - he was playing only his seventh senior match of the season yesterday - his class was obvious.

He finished with 17 touches and three goals through the midfield and from full-forward.

"It's disappointing the way it's turned out this year, but I still feel that I have got my best footy in front of me for myself," Brown said.

"It (the leg) is just a week by week thing. Get towards the end of the year, rest it up and have a good pre-season.

"I feel the team, with the . . . young guys we are blooding, we are going to get better. It's a long road."

The journey will become easier if the likes of youngsters Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane, Nathan Foley, Jack Riewoldt, Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling develop quickly, but the jury is still out on the Tigers' recruiting in recent years.

Brown said the Tigers needed to learn to put opponents under greater pressure.

"It is disappointing - we are starting games well and playing good halves, but then we are falling away," he said. "Geelong is the benchmark. I was amazed at their pressure skills today. That's where we have to get.

"Our pressure skills are nowhere good enough. We have to take a leaf out of their book for next year and get our pressure skills as good as them.

"Every time we got the ball, we were under pressure, and that causes referred pressure, which causes turnovers."

The former Bulldog said coach Terry Wallace and Miller were the right men to help resurrect the club - a plan he wanted to be heavily involved in.

"I am a Tiger for life now," he said. "They have got me for as long as they want me.

"I am looking forward to this club rebuilding to where it needs to be."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22190139%255E19771,00.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Browny to re-sign for another 2 years
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:48:36 AM »
sign him up
2 yrs
captain
snake vc
foley dvc

get rid of richo, sugar, joel, tuck, tiv and trade newman and raines

retygas

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:13:32 AM »
I will be happy to know that we at least have got one star on our list that has come from out of the club. And I do now agree to place him as the captain. And yes get rid of Richo, Sugar, Blingers, 2 Bowdens, Petts and Tiv but as for the rest I think they have a lot to offer but this is my opinion.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
great news ...

GET RID OF CAPTAINS WEARING THE NO.17 ... THAT IS WHY NO ONE WANTS TO BE A LEADER ... PLAYERS WANT TO CAPTAIN IN THERE OWN NUMBER ...

Brown Captain ??? ... yeah why not ... he probably earns it ...

but i would want Mark Coughlan ...

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 12:33:44 PM »
great news ...

GET RID OF CAPTAINS WEARING THE NO.17 ... THAT IS WHY NO ONE WANTS TO BE A LEADER ... PLAYERS WANT TO CAPTAIN IN THERE OWN NUMBER ...

Brown Captain ??? ... yeah why not ... he probably earns it ...

but i would want Mark Coughlan ...

cogs should be delistedor traded, he is made of butter

rather foley and connors to win a hard ball, at least they can use it

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
yep Coughlan = another Tony Free trade him or just delist him he will never be any good

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny re-signs for another 2 years
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »
Nathan Brown re-signs
CAROLINE WILSON | August 16, 2007 | The Age

RICHMOND has shown faith in the talented but injury-scarred Nathan Brown, reaching a new two-year agreement with the star forward until the end of 2009. Brown, who broke his leg at Telstra Dome early in the 2005 season and has only recently returned to consistent senior football, will remain at Punt Road until the end of 2009 on a reduced contract to be announced in the coming days. His management is understood to have pushed for a three-year deal but the former Bulldog, who joined Richmond as its big recruit of 2004, settled for two. Brown turns 30 in February.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/nathan-brown-resigns/2007/08/15/1186857593443.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »
2 yrs and reduced contract is fair to me! if he shows the goods during these 2 yrs and has luck with injury, can then keep signing up on a yearly basis .

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
Would have preferred 1 year at 30 and with the injuries he has had.

The Hawks and the Crows adopt this policy, why don't we?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »
2 yrs and reduced contract is fair to me! if he shows the goods during these 2 yrs and has luck with injury, can then keep signing up on a yearly basis .
That's the key. If it's a reduced contract then I don't have a problem with it. He's played 8 games without a miss for 16 goals since coming back. A full season or thereabouts on current form would produce at least a 40 goal return.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 04:52:28 PM »

The Hawks and the Crows adopt this policy, why don't we?

Going by Richo's logic, Brown is really only 28 because he has missed 2 years of footy!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny back to his best say Herald-Sun
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 04:09:03 AM »
Tiger Brown back to best
20 August 2007   Herald Sun
Jay Clark

NATHAN Brown ended the torment he has suffered since breaking his leg with his best game in more than 800 days in Richmond's fighting 31-point loss to West Coast at Subiaco.

The small forward has endured a torturous journey, but delivered a reminder on Saturday night that he can still be one of the AFL's most skilful and dangerous players near goal.

For the first time since his return this year, Brown, 29, was a constant threat, finishing with three goals, eight marks and 17 possessions.

While it wasn't enough to get the Tigers over the line, the performance provided a rare highlight for the Tigers.

Despite Eagles spearhead Quinten Lynch kicking a season-high seven goals, and Daniel Kerr's stirring midfield efforts, this was Brown's night.

He roamed as far as half-back, and was tagged by top Eagle stopper Adam Selwood to try to curb his influence.

But Brown slipped the leash several times. He showed a clean pair of heals to rove the pack in vintage fashion and kick the first goal of the second term.

He kicked two other goals from marks and created opportunities for teammates with pin-point passes.

Inspired by the veteran, Richmond controlled much of the second half, but was unable to make the most of its shots on goal, kicking 6.8 to West Coasts 9.1.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22272265%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Browny back to his best say Herald-Sun
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 06:11:50 PM »
I wouldn't say Browny's back to his 2005 best yet but he's at least showing why he got a new 2-year deal. 3 goals each against top sides Geelong, West Coast and Sydney.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Browny back to his best say Herald-Sun
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
Snippet from Sportal:

Star forward Nathan Brown has said he's looking forward to playing every game next year after re-signing with the club through to the end of 2009.

"I'm confident all the injury problems with my leg are behind me now and … I want to do a fair pre-season to make sure I'm as fit as what I can be going into next because I feel probably at the moment most of the year my fitness has been a little bit down because of the lack of training I've been doing," Brown said.

"Hopefully next year I'll be back where I need to be."

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl-news-display/wallace-ok-with-pooper-tag-33960

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Browny re-signs for another 2 years (RFC)
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
Brown signs on for two more years at Tigerland
4:57 PM Tue 21 August, 2007
By Catherine Murphy,
richmondfc.com.au

TIGERS’ forward Nathan Brown has signed for an extra two years at Punt Rd, and says he has many years of service yet to give Richmond despite being troubled by injury over the past few seasons.

“The club’s shown a lot of faith in me to sign me for two years with the injury history but the good thing is I haven’t had any soft tissue injuries,” he said.

“I feel pretty fresh in my body because I haven’t had any hits or knocks over the past few years.

“I think hopefully I’ve got four or five years left, or as long as the coach or the club wants me around for.

“I feel I can add value to the club going forward.”

Coach Terry Wallace agreed that the talented forward had much more to give the club.

“Players’ form late in their career always dictates where they’re going and I think Browny’s form on the weekend was fantastic,” he said.

“I think he’s really got a bit of spark left in his game. The goal at the start of the second quarter (against West Coast) was really sharp.

“The fact that his body hasn’t had the work over the last couple of years he should be able to go on, but that’s a form thing when the time comes.”

Brown said despite his many injury setbacks, which started when he suffered a horrific leg break in round 10, 2005, he was always confident that he could make a successful return.

“You always have a few doubts but I never thought I’d played my last game or anything like that. I was always confident that I get another contract, be it for one or two years, and then go on from there.”

Brown’s main focus now is to play every game next year and he says he won’t be holding back in pre-season training.

“I’m the sort of person who likes to train hard consistently so it’ll be more a case of them (the fitness staff) pulling me back and making sure I’m not doing too much.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=49483