Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 401943 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2085 on: March 27, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
200 AFL games this week for our premiership captain  :clapping  :bow

The 28th Tiger to reach the 200 game milestone.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-03-27/cotchin-to-join-the-200-club

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2086 on: March 27, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »
Cotch's resume is pretty impressive these days.

Brownlow
Premiership Captain
All Australian
Jack Dyer medal

Needs to add a Norm Smith this year.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2087 on: March 27, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
Pfft...only came good last year....

#poorleader

#soft

#nomongrel

#lacksthekillerinstinct

#plasticyesman

#cantkick

#missinginfinals

#Jackforcaptain

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2088 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
:lol

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2089 on: March 28, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
Congratulations to him. Deserves considerable credit for this achievement.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2090 on: March 28, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
Some of the comments on page 1 :lol

We need Masten.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2091 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »
Some of the comments on page 1 :lol

We need Masten.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Unleash the tornado

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2092 on: March 28, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »
masten is the type of player of need in preference to cotchin but cotchin is a class above masten.

He has the potential to be a star player whereas IMHO masten will become a more modest very good player in the haselby mould.

BTW hasleby might be coming to richmond through the PSD, let us all pray  :pray
Amazing!

Kruezer who??!!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2093 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
I would love the tigers to over run Adelaide and for Cotchin to stick it up to Walker

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2094 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »
It's been a long hard road, a gutsy road, one that has been traversed through many highs and way to many lows and deserves all that he has achieved as a fair dinkum awesome  player and a fantastic person.
Congrats Cotchy, hope you're round for another 120 odd games  :bow :clapping and thanks for all that you have put in thus far.
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2095 on: March 29, 2018, 06:46:34 AM »
After going through this whole period looking at what we should pick and having been on the Cale Morton bandwagon because of his carnival, I now feel that we should just take the midfielder in Cotchin. He'll play 200 games, he seems like he does want to come to Richmond, so for the sake of it all, the risk free decision is to take Trent Cotchin- besides sometimes you have to just take the very good footballer instead of the hoped for superstar. Ive seen far to many potential champions come to Punt Rd and amount to nothing. So its Trent Cotchin at 2 for mine.

:cheers
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2096 on: March 29, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
Reading the weekend papers it sometimes feels like the media are daring us to take Morton over Cotchin or vice versa so they can say "oh the Tigers have stuffed up"

I reckon we should just flip a coin Saturday morning ;D
Glad we didn't end up flipping a coin WP?  :rollin

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2097 on: March 29, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »
Well done Trent. Excellent achievement, let’s hope the boys can give you the tribute you deserve on field tonight by humiliating the crows in front of their stupid supporters and all their internet members.  :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2098 on: April 02, 2018, 12:29:36 AM »
Didn’t happen.
Poor form by the boys not to get up for their captain.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2099 on: April 03, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
Considered Cotchin talks about terrible 2016 season, fighting footy stereotypes, Dustin Martin

Hamish McLachlan
Sunday Herald Sun
April 1, 2018

TRENT Cotchin. Footballer. Best and Fairest. Brownlow medallist. Premiership captain. Father of two. Level headed. Wise beyond his years. Caring. Generous. Humble. Considered and thoughtful. A ripper.

HM: How were your days spent growing up?

TC: I think being a typical kid, Hame! I grew up in Reservoir with a pretty big back yard, and I spent a lot of time with Dad kicking the footy. We had a bike track next door, so golf and footy, any sort of sport, really, was played. I’m just a typical Reservoir kid!

HM: Close family?

TC: Yep, very lucky. I’ve got an older and a younger sister. We spent a lot of time together. The younger one is a little bit further apart in years than my older sister and I. We all played together a lot, knocked teeth out with indoor basketball and footy games, all standard stuff.

HM: Pretty standard. When did you realise you could play football better than most around you?

TC: Umm … that’s a good question. It’s probably something the old man would be better answering. I was always a good player in the juniors, and I tried to play in the age group above what I was, or I’d fill in for the U/11s when I was U/9s, or U/13s when I was U/11s. I felt like I competed okay, but I was always very little, and that was my No. 1 concern.

HM: There must have been a point where you made the conscious decision that you didn’t want to be a chippie or a doctor or a lawyer, but you wanted to be a professional footballer. When was that?

TC: I always dreamt of being an AFL player, but if I look back now, I probably subconsciously made decisions as a year 9 or 10 student to not attend parties as much, and things like that. It wasn’t as evident in my life as it was in a lot of my friends. There were guys that were equally or similarly talented in the sport, that may or may not have gone on because of the choices they made. That’s not to say that kids shouldn’t be kids and experience that part of their life, but I think subconsciously I made that decision as early as 14 or 15.

HM: You were making those decisions because you thought “if I sacrifice now, it will help me become an AFL footballer”, or do you think it was your personality? You’re not a big drinker now.

TC: I’m not a big drinker now, but it was probably a combination. I always made sure I was in bed at a certain time the night before a game from as young as 10! In saying that, I never prepared the same way for basketball, it was just for the footy.

HM: You were made captain of Richmond at 22, the youngest Richmond captain in 100 years. When you were asked, were there any reservations?

TC: None. There was a lot excitement and a bit of angst, but the thing that I now know is how much I didn’t know. If I had have known what I needed to know, I would have been s--- scared.

HM: I assume you thought you were ready.

TC: I did, but I wasn’t. I don’t think you can ever be ready.

HM: What do you know now that you didn’t then?

TC: My greatest lesson I’ve learnt came to me even as late as the 2016 off-season. I started to realise that I didn’t need to be Luke Hodge or Nick Riewoldt or Joel Selwood. I just needed to find Trent Cotchin and be the best version of me. That’s been an incredible learning for me.

HM: Who opened that door of awareness for you?

TC: Ben Crowe, who’s now a great friend. It wasn’t just about leadership and managing a team in a sense, but his No. 1 focus for me was just finding myself initially, and then determining how we would build on that once that was achieved.

HM: How did you end up talking with Ben, who has become a mentor of yours? Who introduced you?

TC: It was the morning after the 2016 Best and Fairest. I was at Crown, and I was battling a bit with a whole host of things, and (wife) Brooke and I had a conversation, and it was sort of a “what the f--- is happening with me” conversation. It was Neville Crowe’s funeral later that morning, and I spent a good hour or so on the phone to Brooke’s dad. He was talking about how he engaged with a business mentor or a life coach — however you want to put it. He put me in touch with his, and I just opened up to Dimma at the funeral. Dimma was feeling vulnerable at that time too, and he said that he was starting to see Crowey and it was really helping. I met with Ben and just connected straight away. I caught up with him and didn’t really look back.

HM: You were obviously feeling a little lost or vulnerable to ring your father-in-law, Rick Kennedy, looking for help?

TC: I think I plummeted without knowing that I’d plummeted after the 2016 season finished. Articles were still being written about me and the club. We’d had a horrible year, we were all in a bit of a free-fall. I probably don’t speak enough about the support Brooke is. She suggested that I call her dad. I also spoke to Gerard Murphy that morning; he was our leadership co-ordinator at the club at that time.

HM: Was the negativity coming through both the mainstream and social media affecting you?

TC: Yeah, it was, even though I was thinking I could block it out. I’ve always been one of those people that can say, “you know what, it’s just a keyboard warrior”, but I think the two sort of collided, and it got to me. If a journalist writes an article about your performance on the weekend, or about you not being a leader that people are expecting, then you’ve got people on social media piling on, it can get heavy. I think that was when the cracks started to appear, and it split open.

HM: And you got your head around it with help?

TC: Yeah … the greater awareness you have of yourself and what is truly important to you, and which opinions really matter, you build your resilience, and you effectively create a shield and you don’t care about what’s said.

HM: I can’t remember who it was I read who recently said: “What other people think of me is none of my business.”

TC: Yep, it’s the perfect way of approaching it.

HM: So what about those around you that aren’t as philosophical and as strong as you. How badly do you reckon they get affected?

TC: I reckon that’s the biggest part about why athletes start to suffer. Partners, parents, family, friends; they’re the ones that read most of it, because typically you’re educated not to read it or to ignore it. They don’t have the same coping mechanisms, nor do they have the opportunity to go out there and prove people wrong on the weekend or in training, or speak about it if they get a chance. The more of a burden it starts to become for them, the more it affects the way they behave, or the way they speak to you and pass on information. I think it snowballs, and those cracks become even bigger.

HM: It’s a privileged life. You get to play the game you grew up loving, you get well looked after, but you are highly scrutinised. You are judged, criticised, analysed. That’s the price you pay?

TC: I think it’s also the perspective you have on why or how they judge you. Typically, a football club is judged on wins and losses, but if you’re really confident with the work you’re doing inside the four walls, the growth you’re having from the brand of footy you’re playing, or the work you’re doing from a culture aspect; these are the things that people commentating on the game don’t really understand and don’t know. If you don’t focus too much on the outcome and just focus on the things that are actually going well for you, then typically those judgments shouldn’t affect you as much.

HM: Depending on who you listened to, Damien Hardwick “had to go” from the Richmond Football Club at the end of 2016. If the board listened to the noise outside or didn’t know itself as well as it does, there’s a high chance the Richmond Football Club wouldn’t be the premiers. It says a lot about the strength of the club’s leadership.

TC: Absolutely. That’s right. If you took the populist view from outside at the time, Dimma probably goes. But the populist view, although easy to take, isn’t always the right one. I commended Peggy, Brendon and the board in my season launch speech. They stood firm. Dimma was the right man, they knew that, and they didn’t get swayed by people yelling opinions formed with limited information.