Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 421021 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2760 on: May 08, 2023, 10:03:34 AM »
Could the machinations behind getting Trent to 300 games be a major cause of dissent at the club??

I can't imagine any of the players holding against him myself, but against the club maybe.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2761 on: May 08, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »
Could the machinations behind getting Trent to 300 games be a major cause of dissent at the club??

I can't imagine any of the players holding against him myself, but against the club maybe.
That is what I would have thought

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2762 on: May 08, 2023, 10:38:43 AM »
I wouldn’t think so? From most accounts he’s a much loved figure at the club right?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2763 on: May 08, 2023, 12:07:22 PM »
if anyone at the club is not happy with it, especially those with 3 medals around their neck, then they should walk out the door.

I would think there is no chance this is playing out.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2764 on: May 08, 2023, 05:20:27 PM »
I can see both points of view in relation to this issue. Cotchin has been a great servant of this club. He has put his body on the line on repeated occasions for the club and has led by distinction including changing the course of many games by inspiring others. It is important for club culture to recognize great servants of the club. However on the other hand no one player is greater than the club. Many players have called it quits when they knew they could no longer perform at the level required eg Campbell, Cloke, Richardson and Lambert to name just a few. The younger players need the chance to play on a regular basis to gain experience and the Club needs the opportunity to assess whether the younger players are up to scratch. A compromise could be that Cotchin be the substitute for all games up until his 300th. In short bursts he could still impact games and at the same time it allows him to reach the 300 game mark.

Broadsword

« Reply #2765 on: May 08, 2023, 05:23:23 PM »
I don't think anyone really expects him to give it away so close to 300 in a down year, especially since he was pretty solid last year so could just be out of form rather than 'done' (at least that's what people can tell themselves).

But it's a far cry from Grigg giving it away for Marlion and perhaps a sign that we're not quite as unflinchingly selfless as we used to be.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2766 on: May 08, 2023, 06:47:02 PM »
Grigg was injured for a long time and just couldn’t get on the park. Completely different situation to cotch.

There isn’t a more selfless player in our team now or in the past 7 seasons, honestly can’t believe this is being questioned. He sacrificed his game and changed up his leadership style and lead us to 3 flags.

Still think for any poor performance he’s had, there’s always been 3-5 worse performing players.

Broadsword

« Reply #2767 on: May 08, 2023, 07:11:46 PM »
Grigg was injured for a long time and just couldn’t get on the park. Completely different situation to cotch.

There isn’t a more selfless player in our team now or in the past 7 seasons, honestly can’t believe this is being questioned. He sacrificed his game and changed up his leadership style and lead us to 3 flags.

Still think for any poor performance he’s had, there’s always been 3-5 worse performing players.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but in plain speech if we elevate Cotch's personal milestone above the good of the team then that is the beginning of losing our way, is it not? To suggest that the symbolic value of getting him there is somehow for the good of the club in a different way is at best unmeasurable -- at worst fanciful.

The situation tugs on my heart strings so I'm not opposed to assisting him to the end, but we are assisting him, and a lot of us are interrogating the current malaise for signs of cultural decline and this could yet be another case in point.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2768 on: May 08, 2023, 08:39:48 PM »
I just think people are reaching to find some sinister explanation for our downslide rather than the simple explanations of player turnover, assistant coach turnover, change of president, our best players aging, change in the way footy is played even from just 3 seasons ago.

People will point to how Geelong have managed to stay competitive for the best part of 15 years now, but for that 1 example there are 10 times those that show sides falling after premierships let alone dynasties. You just need to look at the ladder, 3 of the bottom 4 sides have won 7 of the last 10 premierships.

Also like I said before, I’ve always noticed atleast 3-5 players who have played worse than cotch. So if we are carrying him, we’re carrying 25% of the side of the 22 atm.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2769 on: May 08, 2023, 10:27:14 PM »
Okay on the theme. you have an aging and according to many or most underperforming ex captain continually getting games and not held to a standard to get em, then i can see how some discontent can seep in especially with blokes struggling to establish themselves.

When we stop holding all players to the same standard of course discontent will seep in.I really think there is rules for some and different rules for others.
Personally i don't think that is the case with Cotch.  Too many of those coming thru are not good enough and he has not been forced out.
That in itself is damning in some ways.

I actually think this post has a lot of merit

I just think people are reaching to find some sinister explanation for our downslide rather than the simple explanations of player turnover, assistant coach turnover, change of president, our best players aging, change in the way footy is played even from just 3 seasons ago.

People will point to how Geelong have managed to stay competitive for the best part of 15 years now, but for that 1 example there are 10 times those that show sides falling after premierships let alone dynasties. You just need to look at the ladder, 3 of the bottom 4 sides have won 7 of the last 10 premierships.

Also like I said before, I’ve always noticed atleast 3-5 players who have played worse than cotch. So if we are carrying him, we’re carrying 25% of the side of the 22 atm.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2770 on: May 12, 2023, 12:43:39 PM »
Commentary about Cotchin from Mongrel Punt:

THE MOMENTS THAT MATTER

HB meyers
mongrelpunt.com
May 12, 2023

We have short memories in footy, willing to pass over a player who hits a certain age and write them off as yesterday’s news.

It happens often and it happens suddenly. The best-laid plans for “one more year” quickly start to seem like a mistake as the many seasons of battle start to take a heavy toll on the body. That begets doubt – doubt in your decision, doubt in your ability, and doubt as to whether you could, or should go on.

Read the full article here: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2023/2023/05/12/the-moments-that-matter/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why this is a huge night for Trent Cotchin with season on the line (SEN)
« Reply #2771 on: May 12, 2023, 02:11:00 PM »
WHY THIS IS A HUGE NIGHT FOR RICHMOND VETERAN WITH SEASON ON THE LINE

Andrew Slevison
SEN
12 May 2023

Trent Cotchin must deliver for the Richmond Football Club on Friday night.

That is according to David King who is banking on the 33-year-old veteran to help guide the Tigers to victory over Geelong at the MCG to kick off Round 9.

The three-time premiership captain is back in Damien Hardwick’s side after he was managed last week, and with Richmond’s season on the line, he simply needs to play well.

King wants Cotchin to show that he still has something to offer the team has served so well for 16 years.

“I think this is a huge night for Trent Cotchin,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“These are the sorts of games when you’re an older player coming to the end where you need to show there’s still some fight in the old dog. The ability to still impact a game like this that’s so significant.

“This is it. This is the season on the line tonight.

“It’s really critical that the older guys get the job done so you stick with the older guys in the back half of the season.

“He’s been a superstar player, Trent Cotchin. We all love what he’s been able to do, but let’s just talk about tonight and the importance of tonight and him being in Richmond’s best players.

“Having a performance that you can say to the coach, ‘I’m still here’.

“I think it’s a huge night for Trent Cotchin.”

However, Kane Cornes believes the Tigers are now at the stage where they cannot be relying on a veteran like Cotchin, but rather prioritising the development of the club’s emerging talent such as Judson Clarke and Noah Cumberland who were omitted this week.

He acknowledges that the club should get the 294-game former skipper to the 300 milestone, but feels his presence in the side should not be relied upon.

“It’s got to be the last time (he has to deliver),” Cornes said.

“This is understanding where you’re at with your list. You’ve got to get him to 300 games, so they will do that, you’ve got to get him there.

“But I don’t want to see Clarke out of the side, I don’t want to see Cumberland out of the side for Trent Cotchin.

“Because the under 23s that they’ve got, there’s not many of them. They need as many under 23s getting that experience as they can.

“(Tyler) Sonsie has got to play, Cumberland has got to play. He has the attributes to be an AFL footballer. I know he was quiet last week after he was dropped and got a reprieve.

“I just don’t want to see Trent Cotchin at this stage come in at the expense of some young players that Richmond desperately need for the future.”

King disagrees.

He says younger players such as Cumberland, who does have deficiencies, can still improve their game in the VFL.

“I think you can still develop players at the next level down,” King added.

“I still think you’ve got to knock the warts off them. Cumberland has got some warts at the moment and Damien Hardwick has been frustrated with this guy for the last two to three weeks.

“He’s got areas in his game that he needs to work on. I think those are structural. He’s not really playing his role at the right times and his defensive side of the game needs to really improve.

“You have to drop players at this stage of their career otherwise they’ll carry those bad habits.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/12/why-this-is-a-huge-night-for-richmond-veteran-with-season-on-the-line/

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2772 on: May 12, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »
Would be a highlight if tonight he could actually nail a clutch goal when needed. Will go down as a Tiger legend but his goalkicking at times has been well below par.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2773 on: May 12, 2023, 10:40:53 PM »
Think it was 3.0 from him tonight

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2774 on: May 12, 2023, 10:45:41 PM »
He’s a bloody legend and should be given a ride all the way past 300 games. See the year out and send him off with the respect, dignity and accolades he deserves for one of the best captains the game has seen.
The club that keeps giving.