Author Topic: Youngest list?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Youngest list?
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
Lots of good things happening off-field at Punt Rd at the moment but we will still have a very young and inexperienced list for 2008. 28 Tigers with less than 50 games and 23 with less than 25 games.

200+ games: Richardson (256), Bowden (235), Johnson (202)

150-199: Brown (188), Tivendale (185), Simmonds (157)

100-149: McMahon (114), Newman (111), Pettifer (103)

75-99: Polak (95), Coughlan (83), Hyde (82)

50-74: Tuck (69), Deledio (62), Tambling (53), Raines (51)

25-49: Foley (49), Schulz (49), Jackson (36), Pattison (35), Polo (25)

1-24: Moore (24), Thursfield (22), Howat* (20), King (19), White (18), Meyer (17), Edwards (16), McGuane (16), Morton (12), Hughes (10), Riewoldt (8 ), Cartledge* (7), JON (7), Connors (4), Graham (2), Collard* (1)

0: Cotchin, Rance, Putt, Gourdis, Silvester*, Casserly, Collins
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:24:12 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Re: 28 Tigers will less than 50 games experience
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
"mightytiges" can you find out the AFL average ages ???

Richmond's is 23.3 ...

we also average ... 57 matches and 50 goals ... on our list ...

i am interested to know what our clubs are like ...

average; Age, Matches, Goals

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 28 Tigers will less than 50 games experience
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:51:17 PM »
"mightytiges" can you find out the AFL average ages ???

Richmond's is 23.3 ...

we also average ... 57 matches and 50 goals ... on our list ...

i am interested to know what our clubs are like ...

average; Age, Matches, Goals
Try the footywire site for each club.

Here's our players in order of Age. Sum them up and then divide by 44 to work out the average.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-richmond-tigers?sby=9&year=2008

The Average in our case is a bit misleading given Richo, Browny, Sugar, Simmo, Tivs and Bowden raise our average yet it hides the mid-age bracket gap beneath them. If you work out the Median (Age of the 22nd player in that list from oldest to youngest) or the Mode (Age with the most players) I think you'll find we have a lower Median and Mode than other clubs who may have a slightly lower Average (if that makes sense).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Youngest list?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:43 AM »
Youngest to oldest (roughly done from BF)

Carlton 22.12
Hawthorn 22.31
West Coast 22.46
Brisbane 22.5
Port Adelaide 22.65
Essendon 22.68
Richmond 22.74
Melbourne 22.93
Collingwood 22.94
North Melbourne 22.99
Footscray 23.02
Geelong 23.03
Adelaide 23.27
Sydney 23.64
St Kilda 23.85
Fremantle 24.11

The Age today says West Coast is 2nd youngest and Hawthorn 3rd.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/young-is-the-new-black/2007/12/22/1198175414021.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »
Experience: no. of players with 100+ games (from today's Age)

Sydney 15
Fremantle 14
Geelong, St Kilda, Collingwood 13
Kangaroos, Adelaide 12
Essendon 11
West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne 10
Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Richmond 9
Carlton, Hawthorn 7

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/sydney-swans-full-of-wise-guys/2007/12/22/1198175415467.html

richmondrules

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
Experience: no. of players with 100+ games (from today's Age)

Sydney 15
Fremantle 14
Geelong, St Kilda, Collingwood 13
Kangaroos, Adelaide 12
Essendon 11
West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne 10
Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Richmond 9
Carlton, Hawthorn 7

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/sydney-swans-full-of-wise-guys/2007/12/22/1198175415467.html

Think that shows the foolhardiness of Hawthorn's drafting in 2007. It may work for them but a lot needs to go right.

The West Coast team that won the premiership 2 years ago is a bit different to next years model, think we'll see a little difference in results too.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
Take Richo out of the team and what is our average then?

Waste of time really - we know we are young and inexperienced with a few older players which skews our average.

Carlton would be very comparitive to ourselves in terms of kids while Hawthorn has very few 'older' players but a fair few mid range players which makes them appear similiar to ourselves. This is why many experts rave about how well the Hawks kids are progressing and attribute much of lasts years success to them when in reality it is because of their mid-age players and the support they are giving to the younger players.

I know a few Bluebagger supporters who were celebrating Murphies 'progress' in the first few games of last year and how he had come on far faster than Lids who was playing a similiar position. What do you know - when Stevens went down and Murphy suddenly started to get the No 1 tagger like Lids had had then his form dropped off dramatically.

It is exactly the same for the Hawks younger players. If they did not have the more experienced/capable players ahead of them that the opposition coaches had to focus on before them then they wouldn't seem anywhere near as good. Unfortunately for our rising stars such as Lids, Axel, Bling and co. they will always have the best defenders/taggers to worry about but because of this our next wave of young players will seem all that more the better because they will have the freedom that our current crop never was afforded.

In 2/3 years when our 2004 crop are ready we will all of a sudden come out of the darkness and everyone will be touting how fantastic our young players are and poor Lids, Axel etc will never get the recognition that they probably deserve in absorbing much of the pressure, responsibility and opposition focus to that point.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
Spot on and far too logicial there Stripes  :thumbsup.

The Hawks only had 5 players 22 years or under in their 22 for most of 2007. Hardly a young side despite having a young list.

33: Crawford
30: Dixon, Smith, Vandenberg
27: Croad
26: Bateman
25: Campbell, Guerra, Osborne, Taylor
24: Brown, Mitchell
23: Boyle, Gilham, Hodge, Ladson, Sewell
21: Lewis, Young
20: Franklin, Roughead
19: Birchall

They've lost some experience at the "older" end with Dixon, Smith and Vandenberg retiring but they'll have Williams back and of course new recruit fat boy slim  ;).

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 11:57:39 AM »
Take Richo out of the team and what is our average then?

Waste of time really - we know we are young and inexperienced with a few older players which skews our average.

Carlton would be very comparitive to ourselves in terms of kids while Hawthorn has very few 'older' players but a fair few mid range players which makes them appear similiar to ourselves. This is why many experts rave about how well the Hawks kids are progressing and attribute much of lasts years success to them when in reality it is because of their mid-age players and the support they are giving to the younger players.

I know a few Bluebagger supporters who were celebrating Murphies 'progress' in the first few games of last year and how he had come on far faster than Lids who was playing a similiar position. What do you know - when Stevens went down and Murphy suddenly started to get the No 1 tagger like Lids had had then his form dropped off dramatically.

It is exactly the same for the Hawks younger players. If they did not have the more experienced/capable players ahead of them that the opposition coaches had to focus on before them then they wouldn't seem anywhere near as good. Unfortunately for our rising stars such as Lids, Axel, Bling and co. they will always have the best defenders/taggers to worry about but because of this our next wave of young players will seem all that more the better because they will have the freedom that our current crop never was afforded.

In 2/3 years when our 2004 crop are ready we will all of a sudden come out of the darkness and everyone will be touting how fantastic our young players are and poor Lids, Axel etc will never get the recognition that they probably deserve in absorbing much of the pressure, responsibility and opposition focus to that point.

Stripes
Good, sensible conclusion Stripes.  To back up your point here is a post I did to another forum in Sept after Hawthorn were eliminated from the finals.  It compared the teams of both clubs in their respective last games for the season.

"With all the debate about our recruiting and the constant comparisons
between ourselves and Hawthorn (who supposedly started off from the
same place list-wise as us at the same time as us), I thought I would
have a comparitive look at the team they fielded last night vs our
team for the last game vs Saints.

Players 21 and under - Haw 5, Rich 9
Players 22 to 27 - Haw 13, Rich 8
Players 28 and over - Haw 4, Rich 5

Digging a bit deeper, Hawthorn's 13 'mid range' age group average 88
games per player, Richmond's 8 average 69. And of Richmond's 8, 2 of
them are recently promoted rookies (Axel and Kingy)!

Kinda makes folly of the comparison doesn't it. Their kids are fewer
in number and have the support of a much larger core of more
experienced players on the field. I'll bet Lids, McGuane, Thursty,
Bling, Raines et al would look like different players in a side that
offered them this much more protection and support.

Thats why I keep subscribing to the positive outlook and patience
theory. We are getting games into kids that will become our solid
core over the next few years. We musn't make the mistake of judging
our recent draft outcomes based on our performance in the last couple
of years. Our list was a train wreck 4 years ago and it was never
going to be fixed in a year or 2."

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »

The Hawks only had 5 players 22 years or under in their 22 for most of 2007. Hardly a young side despite having a young list.

They've lost some experience at the "older" end with Dixon, Smith and Vandenberg retiring but they'll have Williams back and of course new recruit fat boy slim  ;).

A finals team, and looking through the list, I can find only three A graders (Hodge, Franklin and Mitchell). Croad borderline, but I never have and never will rate him.

We have one that has been and could possibly reach that level again, Nathan Brown. Our other senior players have too many flaws to ever become A graders.

The main difference though, is they have a lot of B graders. Guys that are reaching their peak age, are consistent and reliable, without being stars.

Plus, they also have a number of potential A graders that could develop in the next 2-3 seasons.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »

A finals team, and looking through the list, I can find only three A graders (Hodge, Franklin and Mitchell). Croad borderline, but I never have and never will rate him.
Crawford, Dixon and Smith not A graders?  Tough marker!  Pretty sure they would have walked in to most, if not all, other sides.
We have one that has been and could possibly reach that level again, Nathan Brown. Our other senior players have too many flaws to ever become A graders.
Richo would walk into any other side, bar none.  Which of his flaws prevent him from being an A grader?  Bowden?
The main difference though, is they have a lot of B graders. Guys that are reaching their peak age, are consistent and reliable, without being stars.

Exactly why they made the finals.  They had the optimum number of B graders in the right age bracket.  To have NOT made the finals would have been devastating for them.  Don't make the mistake of viewing them as a young side - they were smack in the middle of their window this season.  See my earlier post.
Plus, they also have a number of potential A graders that could develop in the next 2-3 seasons.
Bet you London to a brick they don't have as many 'potential A graders' as us.  Foley, Deledio, Polak, Polo, Raines, Connors, Thursfield, Edwards, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Tambling.  Who knows with Hughes, Rance, Pattison, McGuane, Graham, King, Putt, JON, Gourdis, Collard.

I see your Hawthorn list and I raise you my Richmond list!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »
Crawford, Dixon and Smith not A graders?  Tough marker!  Pretty sure they would have walked in to most, if not all, other sides.

Crawford was, Dixon and Smith not even close.

I'd take Pettifer over Dixon, Bowden over Smith.

Richo would walk into any other side, bar none.  Which of his flaws prevent him from being an A grader?  Bowden?
Sure he'd walk into most sides, but when we need a cool head, a big goal he often doesn't deliver.

To me, he is a 'momentum killer', a guy that lets down the team when the midfield are on top and we're on a roll. (see 2nd West Coast game this year, missed crucial goals in the last quarter)

How many times have you heard this in the last ten years 'Richmond have kicked 7 in 10 minutes....' and then how many times have you heard this 'Richmond are on top, but they haven't been able to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard...'.

Not all Richo's fault, but to me he isn't A grade.

Bowden, also makes those little mistakes, the lapses in concentration that the A graders don't make.

Bet you London to a brick they don't have as many 'potential A graders' as us.  Foley, Deledio, Polak, Polo, Raines, Connors, Thursfield, Edwards, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Tambling.  Who knows with Hughes, Rance, Pattison, McGuane, Graham, King, Putt, JON, Gourdis, Collard.

I see your Hawthorn list and I raise you my Richmond list!

True we could have 4-5 A graders, but they have A graders now, we're behind them by 3-4 years. They get another 3 maybe 4 and they have 7. We won't have 7 till 2011, unless they're freaks like Judd or Franklin.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do