Author Topic: Neil Balme  (Read 36227 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Impressions of Neil Balme's influence
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2016, 06:55:03 PM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

:clapping

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.
The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Bloody obvious if you ask me.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »

The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Spot on. If we believe that one person can come in and fix all our woes in fell swoop we are kidding ourselves. It will take time and it will take more people than Balmey to do it.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »

Spot on. If we believe that one person can come in and fix all our woes in fell swoop we are kidding ourselves. It will take time and it will take more people than Balmey to do it.

So, in summary (correct me if im wrong):-

1) let the stunningly obvious poor decisions continue and let Balme assess these decisions well down the track. When the damage is done.

2) Balme delivered Caracella but has nothing to do with Maric, Conca etc. In fact, because hes new hes only resposible for the good decisions.
"Sliding doors moment.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »

1) let the stunningly obvious poor decisions continue and let Balme assess these decisions well down the track. When the damage is done.

2) Balme delivered Caracella but has nothing to do with Maric, Conca etc. In fact, because hes new hes only resposible for the good decisions.
Well no one really said what you propose specifically, nor do I believe implied it. I know it does not sit well with you (or me) but basically Balme doesn't have that kind of pull yet. Oh, and I thought the damage was done already.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2016, 08:11:30 PM »

The only direct decisions Balme has made has been to employ Caracella and Leppitsch. If they are bad we will know in the future. I'm not sure what other poor decisions Balme has made as GM of football.  He is not the list manager or a recruiter. How can he say those responsible have made bad decisions when we haven't even seen what the outcome of these decisions are?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »

The only direct decisions Balme has made has been to employ Caracella and Leppitsch. If they are bad we will know in the future. I'm not sure what other poor decisions Balme has made as GM of football.  He is not the list manager or a recruiter. How can he say those responsible have made bad decisions when we haven't even seen what the outcome of these decisions are?

Because we have a brain and can form opinions on appointments now without waiting. Its called thinking
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2016, 09:40:32 PM »

The decision to keep Maric on our senior list is a massive mistake. As GM of football you don't have to wait until something has proven to be wrong to change it before it happens. A strong person in charge of people can override anything they think is wrong before it becomes a mistake.
As I have said before, I like Maric but his time was up early this season.
The list will barely change from this season which is ridiculous considering how truely bad we were this year.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:20 PM »

The decision to keep Maric on our senior list is a massive mistake. As GM of football you don't have to wait until something has proven to be wrong to change it before it happens. A strong person in charge of people can override anything they think is wrong before it becomes a mistake.
The list will barely change from this season which is ridiculous considering how truely bad we were this year.
Have you seen Maric recently? I haven't. He looked cooked earlier this year, I agree. However we don't know if he has solved his back problems. We also do not know the deal he was given. Maybe as on field coach for the VFL side. So without knowing anything, how can we form opinions on what we just THINK we know?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
It's more a frustration with the idiots at the club for being delighted with Hampsons grace and poise
as number one ruck, to the degree they once again neglect the no brainer of looking for another, instead settling on Ivan's injury ravaged body as ample back up in our 2017 finals campaign....which we allegedly will be playing in.  :lol

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »

Have you seen Maric recently? I haven't. He looked cooked earlier this year, I agree. However we don't know if he has solved his back problems. We also do not know the deal he was given. Maybe as on field coach for the VFL side. So without knowing anything, how can we form opinions on what we just THINK we know?
Twist it any way you want to Doc, the club has kept him on our main list. Everyone would be pumped if he had committed to being a VFL listed player willing to help the kids. That would be leadership, not taking a spot on our list a young ruckman could be filing.
The club hopes he can fill a roll of a few games here or there if Hampson gets injuried which is almost garenteed rather than bite the bullet and trust their recruiting of a younger ruckman.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »

Im clapping because the post makes sense. A thoughtful balanced post

The blokes been there just on a month. No one no matter who they are are going to make sweeping changes in a month.

But in the eyes of some here based on some need that a single individual is some sort of messiah them he shoud have delivered us everythong bar a premiership.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2016, 10:08:47 AM »
Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting.

Do they not answer to him? If not then what does his role entail? FWIW I think your premise is right and everyone needs to take a step back and not expect him to get poo done right away but gee wiz I don't think it's been a great start with Maric and Conca. On your later point about Marics role as an on field VFL coach being a possible reason he got an extension then it begs the question why he wasn't VFL listed or even rookie listed. There should always be an expectation the people on our main list will play or develop not just hang around in the VFL and coach. He's a back up ruckman you say? Well that's just another short fall by the list management team that ultimately answer to him for not finding another ruckman to be that back up.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
It's more a frustration with the idiots at the club for being delighted with Hampsons grace and poise
as number one ruck, to the degree they once again neglect the no brainer of looking for another, instead settling on Ivan's injury ravaged body as ample back up in our 2017 finals campaign....which we allegedly will be playing in.  :lol

poodle mullet speaks the truth and anyone who disagrees is in the taliban
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »

Im clapping because the post makes sense. A thoughtful balanced post

The blokes been there just on a month. No one no matter who they are are going to make sweeping changes in a month.

But in the eyes of some here based on some need that a single individual is some sort of messiah them he shoud have delivered us everythong bar a premiership.

No i just expect

1) Given he is so well revered that the rot from those who report to him would stop. Which it hasnt evidently.

2) As a superior of those making decisions, he has some form of proactive involvement (e.g.checks and balances at minimum), rather than reactive after the fact.

"Sliding doors moment.