Author Topic: Neil Balme  (Read 36223 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Impressions of Neil Balme's influence
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

:clapping

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.
The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Bloody obvious if you ask me.
Spot on. If we believe that one person can come in and fix all our woes in fell swoop we are kidding ourselves. It will take time and it will take more people than Balmey to do it.

So, in summary (correct me if im wrong):-

1) let the stunningly obvious poor decisions continue and let Balme assess these decisions well down the track. When the damage is done.

2) Balme delivered Caracella but has nothing to do with Maric, Conca etc. In fact, because hes new hes only resposible for the good decisions.

The only direct decisions Balme has made has been to employ Caracella and Leppitsch. If they are bad we will know in the future. I'm not sure what other poor decisions Balme has made as GM of football.  He is not the list manager or a recruiter. How can he say those responsible have made bad decisions when we haven't even seen what the outcome of these decisions are?
The decision to keep Maric on our senior list is a massive mistake. As GM of football you don't have to wait until something has proven to be wrong to change it before it happens. A strong person in charge of people can override anything they think is wrong before it becomes a mistake.
As I have said before, I like Maric but his time was up early this season.
The list will barely change from this season which is ridiculous considering how truely bad we were this year.
Have you seen Maric recently? I haven't. He looked cooked earlier this year, I agree. However we don't know if he has solved his back problems. We also do not know the deal he was given. Maybe as on field coach for the VFL side. So without knowing anything, how can we form opinions on what we just THINK we know?
Twist it any way you want to Doc, the club has kept him on our main list. Everyone would be pumped if he had committed to being a VFL listed player willing to help the kids. That would be leadership, not taking a spot on our list a young ruckman could be filing.
The club hopes he can fill a roll of a few games here or there if Hampson gets injuried which is almost garenteed rather than bite the bullet and trust their recruiting of a younger ruckman.
I'm not twisting it. I'm stating that people have defined jobs. The GM of football is not going to override decisions made by the list manger (Blair) or the recruiting team. That isn't his job. His job is to assess the performance of these employees and recommend whether they should stay or go.
Of course he will have opinions on these things like we do but he won't override these people's decisions. He may even involve himself in discussions. Ultimately the people employed to do that job are responsible for the decisions, not Balme.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.
The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Spot on. If we believe that one person can come in and fix all our woes in fell swoop we are kidding ourselves. It will take time and it will take more people than Balmey to do it.

1) let the stunningly obvious poor decisions continue and let Balme assess these decisions well down the track. When the damage is done.

2) Balme delivered Caracella but has nothing to do with Maric, Conca etc. In fact, because hes new hes only resposible for the good decisions.

The only direct decisions Balme has made has been to employ Caracella and Leppitsch. If they are bad we will know in the future. I'm not sure what other poor decisions Balme has made as GM of football.  He is not the list manager or a recruiter. How can he say those responsible have made bad decisions when we haven't even seen what the outcome of these decisions are?
The decision to keep Maric on our senior list is a massive mistake. As GM of football you don't have to wait until something has proven to be wrong to change it before it happens. A strong person in charge of people can override anything they think is wrong before it becomes a mistake.
The list will barely change from this season which is ridiculous considering how truely bad we were this year.
Have you seen Maric recently? I haven't. He looked cooked earlier this year, I agree. However we don't know if he has solved his back problems. We also do not know the deal he was given. Maybe as on field coach for the VFL side. So without knowing anything, how can we form opinions on what we just THINK we know?

Ridiculous.

This isnt a court of law where proof of beyond reasonable doubt is required.

There is sufficient evidence to date to suggest a high likelihood he is stuffed and its a poor decision. Based on him being finished all 2016 and the clubs penchant for offering contracts to players that dont deserve it.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »

Ridiculous.

This isnt a court of law where proof of beyond reasonable doubt is required.

There is sufficient evidence to date to suggest a high likelihood he is stuffed and its a poor decision. Based on him being finished all 2016 and the clubs penchant for offering contracts to players that dont deserve it.
Ok. Simple question. Describe to me his injury. If you know he can't come back, you should be able to tell me the exact nature of his injury as most injuries can be overcome with time and therapy.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
Who Maric?
We broke him

Like the workhorse in Orwells animal farm

Playin 100% game time alone, vs two rucks, season after season

We didn't help him, we didn't draft another option replacement in 7 years ...

He has been broken down for two years now Ffs

His injury is he is old and was mismanaged.

Frankly I'm staggered people cannot see this. The new contracts of Maric (cause he's been finishedfoe years) and Hampson (causes he's a heartless talentless bastard) and the general mismanagement of th list are frankly crap
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »

I think it's fair to say that he needs the time to assess before jumping in BUT he could make a couple of strong decisions early to set the tone around the club.
Keeping all of Dan Richardson Francis Jackson (in any capacity), Blair Hartley (one I'd bite the bullet and pay out) are calls he can make. And he could fire one of them now (Blair I'm looking at you) and announce he will be rolling up his sleeves and get involved in our list strategy. Surely he has some best practise to share with that team.
No coach can fix a crap list, no list can paper over an incompetent strategy and no GM of any quality could miss the fatal errors if our List Manager without acting on it - it's going to come back and haunt him if he's not careful.
That'd be a good start.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »

I think it's fair to say that he needs the time to assess before jumping in BUT he could make a couple of strong decisions early to set the tone around the club.
Keeping all of Dan Richardson Francis Jackson (in any capacity), Blair Hartley (one I'd bite the bullet and pay out) are calls he can make. And he could fire one of them now (Blair I'm looking at you) and announce he will be rolling up his sleeves and get involved in our list strategy. Surely he has some best practise to share with that team.
No coach can fix a crap list, no list can paper over an incompetent strategy and no GM of any quality could miss the fatal errors if our List Manager without acting on it - it's going to come back and haunt him if he's not careful.
That'd be a good start.
IIRC those guys were given new contracts (or were still contracted) before he became GM. He cannot just fire them without having a huge payout on their contracts. Once their contracts lapse he will be able to exert his influence.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »
two rucks one cup
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Looking forward to how bad the club is destined to go in 2017.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »
Who Maric?
We broke him

Like the workhorse in Orwells animal farm

Playin 100% game time alone, vs two rucks, season after season

We didn't help him, we didn't draft another option replacement in 7 years ...

He has been broken down for two years now Ffs

His injury is he is old and was mismanaged.

Frankly I'm staggered people cannot see this. The new contracts of Maric (cause he's been finishedfoe years) and Hampson (causes he's a heartless talentless bastard) and the general mismanagement of th list are frankly crap

Exactly. Why observation and past history are irrelevant to some is mind boggling.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
two rucks one cup

:lol post of the month

tony_montana

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »

That'd be a good start.

Well said - whilst doc is correct that a GM needs to allow those employed to do their job, there comes a time where you need to exert some influence to stamp your authority and what better time than at the beginning. You dont need to diagnose to realise maric is cooked. Regardless of this years back injury he's been cooked for a couple of yearsand is 2 years older now.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
Blind freddy can see Ivan is shot

Neil eating waffles with hi thump up his bum  :thumbsup
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
In a strange way, it may be beneficial to bottom out in a year where the draft is particularly strong. Lets face it, our list is not one of a top 4 teams. Maybe Balme knows this and thinks that more pain is the only way to gain. I am hoping we can trade into next years draft. Several KPP are for grabs there and we sure need them.

Why do half a job when we just need to clean out and reload for 2018.

dwaino

« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »
I think the fact that he has been there for nearly 4 weeks and we still haven't won a flag speaks for itself.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
In a strange way, it may be beneficial to bottom out in a year where the draft is particularly strong. Lets face it, our list is not one of a top 4 teams. Maybe Balme knows this and thinks that more pain is the only way to gain. I am hoping we can trade into next years draft. Several KPP are for grabs there and we sure need them.

Why do half a job when we just need to clean out and reload for 2018.

It's pointkess trying anything with the current staff employed.
Caracella and Balmey.