Author Topic: Wallace cool on player cuts (ABC)  (Read 1681 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace cool on player cuts (ABC)
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
Wallace cool on player cuts
abc.net.au
Wed August 27, 2008

Richmond Tigers coach Terry Wallace says he is not planning to de-list many players this year in the hope of developing his young and talented squad.

The Tigers are likely to finish the season in ninth place, missing the finals for the seventh year in a row.

This year's wooden spooners, the Demons, yesterday announced they were dumping two senior players.

But Wallace says his side is already brimming with young talent and needs time to develop.

"There has got to be some point in time where you say 'OK we've done enough cutting, it's actually now an opportunity to let these blokes grow and develop together'," he said.

"That's where we are. You've got to make change. The rules sort of say you have to make change, but I don't think we need to make inordinate amount of change this time around."

Wallace says his team's performance should improve as the side's younger players mature.

"We've made huge changes to the list in recent times, I mean, I think 25 in the first two years that I was here is a lot of names," he added.

"And if you go back to 2004 and look at the names that are there and have a look at the names now, there is virtually no-one left."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/27/2347475.htm

bushranger

Re: Wallace cool on player cuts (ABC)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »
Let him trade Hyde and JON for Kerr.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:58:05 PM »
Let him trade Hyde and JON for Kerr.

Using Hyde and JON as trade bait, the only players you could draft would be someone of the calibre of Michael Laffy or Shane Morrison.

With all due respect JON is a very very average player whilst Hyde has played great games but his time is up.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »
I actually think from a de-listing point of view you'd only go with the bare minimum (what is it 3 or 4).

I said this to someone in the office the other week, if it was up to me I'd only trade if it meant we traded up in the draft. If that isn't possible I'd keep all our draft picks and de-list the required number under the rules.

I reckon we need to keep the list together as much as we can. We drafted them for a reason, stick to the plan which was always to bring this group through to together.

That's my take anyway

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
soft Wallace.

it is a good chance to delist players!

at least 6-7 players can be delisted.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »
Including rookies there will be 5 delisted minimum, probably 6 or 7.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »
Why should we we be keeping Sugar on the list FFS

Vanders and Lance left for the better of their team,so why is this dud still chewing up a spot on our list.

He is not in the age group we require(31 in march) and he brings nothing but bad skills and bad leadership to a group of younger players.

Wallace grow some balls you soft co.ck and get rid of this spud.

We need a true leader not someone who seems like his always trying to hide behind a tree

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:43 PM »
He is not in the age group we require(31 in march) and he brings nothing but bad skills and bad leadership to a group of younger players.
The age part I agree with, but you're on your own on the leadership and skills side of things

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »
The age part I agree with, but you're on your own on the leadership and skills side of things

okay lets debate shall we.

Has he ever won a game off his own boot- NO

When games are needed to be won has he kicked important goals- NO

Is he a leader onfield- NO

I watch him closely and at times yes i agree, i see him approach younger players and offer words of incouragement when they made a clanger, but that doesn't make a captain.

every player playing in the AFL should be doing those things regardless if there captain or not.

i remember one game this year cant remember the one he missed a goal which was so crucial in the dying minutes. Another time when we needed him to just kick the fcukin goal and he handballs to patto who thank god puts it through.

My point is we need a leader not these second grade hacks. he is a shadow of a player he was at the crows.

at 31 i would like him to be told thanks you have been good, but no thanks.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
Sorry, but I've lost count how many times Kane's leadership has been praised by those at the club
He'd be gone if it wasn't true

richmondrules

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »

okay lets debate shall we.

Please don't  :-\

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 02:28:05 PM »
By all reports Tiv and Hyde are already gone. Throw Petts and Kingy in the trade mix and that is potentially 4 players off the main list. Add Silvester, Howart and Cartledge to be delisted from the Rookie list and we will still be bringing in 6 or 7 new players at a minumum.

Posters have put up names such as Meyer, Schulz, Cogs and JON but there is little to no chance of any of these players being asked to leave considering the work the club has put into these names and/or their state of potential development.

Johnson, Bowden, Richo, Browny and Simmo will slowly retire over the next couple of years.

Stripes

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:22:57 AM »
Would be ropeable if we only had 3 draft picks (again!)
You really need to turn over your list and consistently have 4-5 picks in nd as well as a full rookie list of young players..
With our list pretty average still cannot believe we couldn't easily get rid of enough players to get 4-5 picks..