Author Topic: Richmond & India thread [merged]  (Read 23814 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers, Giants agree to pre-season match in India (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
Tigers, Giants agree to pre-season match in India

by: Neil Cordy
    February 27, 2012

RICHMOND'S ambition to play an AFL match in India looks set to be realised, with Greater Western Sydney agreeing to play a pre-season game there against the Tigers next year.

The Tigers and Giants have agreed to play the match in Mumbai next February, most likely at the DY Patil Stadium, a state-of-the-art 60,000 seater that hosts Indian Premier League cricket matches.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale has been floating the idea for some time, but had struggled to find an AFL club willing to participate, with Essendon angling for a post-season clash.

But the Giants, coached by the lateral-thinking Kevin Sheedy, are open to the pre-season date, and see it as an opportunity to snare new fans and even players.

"If teams are a chance of winning a premiership I can understand their reluctance to travel such a distance to play a match because it can interfere with their preparation but we just need to play games," Sheedy said.

"We've already expanded nationally with our game now it's time to grow it internationally." Giants boss David Matthews said: "We've got two kids in our academy from Indian heritage and you only had to be in the crowd at ANZ Stadium for the Twenty20 international to see what sort of an atmosphere an Indian crowd creates."

Tendulkar's Test teammate, Rahul Dravid, is a patron of the new Richmond supporter group, the Indian Tigers, which the club believes is an important first step in getting the Indian community involved in the AFL.

"It will give Indians another team and another sport to follow," Dravid said.

"I have watched some games on television - it is fast and very physical. It would be great to see a game played in India."

The match is seen as a way to repair Melbourne's troubled relationship with India after last year's rash of assaults on students.

Premier Ted Baillieu was in Mumbai over the weekend promoting Victoria as a tourist destination, and is believed to have discussed the AFL match.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-giants-agree-to-pre-season-match-in-india/story-e6frf9jf-1226282055135

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers, Giants agree to pre-season match in India (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2012, 12:36:48 AM »
The Tigers and Giants have agreed to play the match in Mumbai next February, most likely at the DY Patil Stadium, a state-of-the-art 60,000 seater that hosts Indian Premier League cricket matches.

About the D. Y. Patil Stadium

http://www.dypsa.in/About_the_DY_Patil_Stadium

I did a quick google search and couldn't find the actual dimensions of the ground. The playing surface is 20,000 sq m so if you take the playing arena as a circle then that's roughly 160m in diameter which I think is roughly similar in size and dimensions to the SCG.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers, Giants get set for Mumbai (Age)
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:11 AM »
Tigers, Giants get set for Mumbai
Clay Lucas, Mumbai
February 27, 2012

RICHMOND and Greater Western Sydney are poised to play a demonstration match in Mumbai, India, next February, with GWS also pushing to play a match there for premiership points.

A match in India was first flagged last April, with speculation the Tigers would play Essendon in 2012 to help both teams grab a presence in one of the world's biggest markets. That game, touted as a potential round of the NAB Cup, did not eventuate.

But Austrade commissioner Peter Linford, in Mumbai on Saturday for the Baillieu government's week-long trade mission to India, said any match would now feature Richmond and the Giants.

''[They] have both indicated they would like to play next February,'' he said.

The Bombers had wanted to stage a post-season game, Mr Linford said.

''That doesn't work for us in terms of the ground access and logistics.''

A match in Mumbai would be staged at the D. Y. Patil Stadium, he said.

''[Richmond chief executive] Brendon Gale was out here last year, and he went and saw the ground,'' Linford said.

Other Richmond club officials again inspected it last week.

''It's probably the best ground from a cricket level in India, and [staff there would] water it down so it's a bit softer than the normal cricket surfaces here,'' he said.

Around 25 Australian companies helped stage a similar exhibition match in Dubai in 2007.

The Tigers are pushing hard to grab the support of Melbourne's rapidly growing Indian community, last year getting Indian batsman Rahul Dravid to sign on as patron of the Indian Tigers supporter group.

Richmond's Simon Matthews, in India on the government's trade delegation, was reluctant to confirm whether GWS would play in Mumbai.

But the Giants' spokesman, Nick Johnston, yesterday confirmed the club was interested in the match.

''And if there was a possibility of playing for premiership points we'd be interested in that, too,'' he said.

The Giants are also looking to increase their links with the Indian community in western Sydney.

Premier Ted Baillieu, who had a kick on Saturday with Mumbai youngsters kitted out in Richmond jumpers, said the Tigers should be commended for trying to connect with the Indian community in Victoria.

''Hats off to Richmond who have been prepared to make this commitment,'' Baillieu said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-giants-get-set-for-mumbai-20120226-1twue.html#ixzz1nVY1IJXL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Is Richmond off to play in India?
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:59 AM »
If you read today's Sydney papers you would think it's all GWS's doing ....

Giants look to India to advance the code (Sydney Morning Herald)

GWS planning to play exhibition match in India (Daily Telegraph)

Offline Balmyarmy

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
A parent company to a lot of leading brands you would in your supermarket. Nestle, dove, surf, lipton etc etc.
They claim 2 billion people use their products everyday- probably truth
I used to work for unilever. Nestlé are a competitor not a brand of unilever. They are globally one of the biggest FMCG companies in the world. Favorite unilever brand is streets ice creams.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
A parent company to a lot of leading brands you would in your supermarket. Nestle,

Not Nestle, but Streets Ice-Cream, Unilever own Streets
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:37 AM »
Quote from: one-eyed link=topic=1 :wallywink2095.msg282701#msg282701 date=1330240835
Ch 9 news said Richmond wants to play our first game next year in India.

:wallywink  :wallywink

NAB Cup only
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:32 AM »
Quote from: one-eyed link=topic=1 :wallywink2095.msg282701#msg282701 date=1330240835
Ch 9 news said Richmond wants to play our first game next year in India.

:wallywink  :wallywink

NAB Cup only

Yep I was shocked when I heard 9 say we were playing our first game there. :o

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

gerkin greg

« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
should get Jordan McMahon involved as an ambassador, he's half indian

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Was there many indians at the weekend ?
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
As thread title says was there many indian tiger supporters theres on saturday evening ?
Sorry tv didnt show a lot of crowd close ups and living in W.A means i  will save my hard earned for september ( fingers crossed )

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Was there many indians at the weekend ?
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
John Brown was there......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
Bollywood star Vidya Balan was flown in by the Club to be a guest at the game ...

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/449422/Vidya%20Balan%20at%20the%20MCG/

No doubt we'll be trying to play an early preseason game in India as part of our push.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:30 PM »
I saw a few.

gerkin greg

« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:48 AM »
Crap