Author Topic: Looking back: 2003-2006 drafts  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: Looking back: 2003-2006 drafts
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:45 AM »
I know for a fact that David didnt want him at Richmond due to current staff there.

Which bulldusting journalist wrote that for you to read in the newspaper as a fact Jack?

Your are no star, that's for sure.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »
Who are the best of our recruits from this period?

2003 - Foley - supergun from the rookie list.
2004- Pattison, Thursfield, Deledio and Tambling. Top quality ND picks who are performing well. Mcguane is still unproven, but worthy. Polo will be back and shows lots of go too. Morton is new to us and shows he is capable.
2005 - White - a PSD pick who is performing way above the ND guys from the same draft, and not just Richmond players
2006 - Edwards and Reiwoldt
2007 - Cotchin, what a debut and he is keeping it up so far.

The standouts would have to be Foley who fought his way up from the rookie list and earned state honours and White, a speculative PSD pick who excites us all when he gets the ball and bursts through the packs. The rest of these guys are expected to be doing well and are doing so.

Things don't look so bad with these guys in our team.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 12:44:06 AM »
Tambling?? If getting 15 touches per game on ball enough then I'll go hee. Cotchin is streets ahead of Richard in 4 games compared to Richard in his 4th season. Does not do enough. Will be an average player at best. Possible trade.

Edwards is classy but does not get enough of it and is a bit soft. Needs to kick clutch goals.

Riewoldt just needs more games into him. Will be ok

Lids although good needs to get out of the bad habit that has begun to creep into his game by chasing cheap kicks and racking up the stats. Although he was good on Sat and last week was staggered to find out he had 30 touches with possies that had very little impact.

Polo needs to get a game. Terry needs to play the kid. Fat lot of good he is to us running around at Coburg.  Same applies for kids like Connors Rance Morton Jackson Hughes.

Whitey is no Foley but he has improved and his pace can be crucial just needs to believe further that he can be a part of the team and can succeed at this level.

Cotchin I agree all class.

McGuane is a project player. Don't know if the kid will make it. His kicking is a big deficiency. Would rather play him and find out whether he will make it or not than not to play him at all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 03:41:52 AM »
he went for money but that aside i believe he wouldn't have come to punt road.

the blues at least have a winning culture. something we do not and that is sadly a fact!!

im not saying that because they beat port, give me a break, i am saying that because they will win a flag in the near future because they make the right decisions in recruiting and all footy departments.
How can anyone say a club that finished bottom 2 for the past 6 years straight bar one 10th including 3 spoons has a winning culture  ???. The Blues should be finally improving after all the high priority picks they've had but the week before Geelong pumped them by 10 goals and 3 weeks ago they conceded the first 7 goals against Brisbane at the Dome. Let's see how they go in the final 7 rounds when they play 6 of the top 8 sides before believing all the hype.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 04:06:32 AM »
Just on some current top 8 clubs top 10 picks over the past 6 years.....

#4 2002 - Tim Walsh - Doggies
#4 2003 - Farren Ray - Doggies

#7 2003 - Kane Tenace - Geelong

#9 2003 - David Trotter - Roos

#8 2004 - John Meesen - Adelaide

#10 2004 - Chris Egan - Collingwood

#8 2002 - Luke Brennan - Hawthorn
#6 2005 - Beau Dowler - Hawthorn

All clubs make mistakes even with top 10 picks. It's your overall recruiting and development over many years that counts so you have talented youth continually coming through. The reason the club is finally putting money into these areas after neglecting them by spending the least amount of money of any AFL club.

Tambling?? If getting 15 touches per game on ball enough then I'll go hee. Cotchin is streets ahead of Richard in 4 games compared to Richard in his 4th season. Does not do enough. Will be an average player at best. Possible trade.

Edwards is classy but does not get enough of it and is a bit soft. Needs to kick clutch goals.

Riewoldt just needs more games into him. Will be ok

Lids although good needs to get out of the bad habit that has begun to creep into his game by chasing cheap kicks and racking up the stats. Although he was good on Sat and last week was staggered to find out he had 30 touches with possies that had very little impact.

Polo needs to get a game. Terry needs to play the kid. Fat lot of good he is to us running around at Coburg.  Same applies for kids like Connors Rance Morton Jackson Hughes.

Whitey is no Foley but he has improved and his pace can be crucial just needs to believe further that he can be a part of the team and can succeed at this level.

Cotchin I agree all class.

McGuane is a project player. Don't know if the kid will make it. His kicking is a big deficiency. Would rather play him and find out whether he will make it or not than not to play him at all.
Richie is still only 21. Leon Davis was still being called duckeggs and a hack at Blingers age.

Polo's shoulders set him back longer than expected. He's only started over the last few weeks to come back into some good form at Coburg. A trainer also questioned his ticker earlier in the season  :shh.

Agree with the rest. Edwards is 19 and needs to get stuck into the protein so he can play midfield where we want to eventually play him.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 08:21:11 AM »

the blues at least have a winning culture. something we do not and that is sadly a fact!!

im not saying that because they beat port, give me a break, i am saying that because they will win a flag in the near future because they make the right decisions in recruiting and all footy departments.
How can anyone say a club that finished bottom 2 for the past 6 years straight bar one 10th including 3 spoons has a winning culture  ???. The Blues should be finally improving after all the high priority picks they've had but the week before Geelong pumped them by 10 goals and 3 weeks ago they conceded the first 7 goals against Brisbane at the Dome. Let's see how they go in the final 7 rounds when they play 6 of the top 8 sides before believing all the hype.

record number of flags since their introduction and since 1981 has won 2 in that time (1987 and 1995).

how many times have they made the finals since 1983 and how many times have we.

we as a football club have a losing culture you have got to be blind not to see that MT.

2 finals in 25 years that is a LOSING CULTURE my friend
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
I didnt have Patto rated at all and i was involved ::)
For what its worth, I actually spotted Polo,
Also, in my opinion Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time

so cloke is better than buddy?

Great.  ;)

jackstar

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
Also, in my opinion Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time

Great.  ;)

READ MY POST IMBECILE. I didnt say that. At the time Travis was a standout .

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
Leon Davis was not a top 10 draft pick I don't think MT and personally he is a bit of a passenger. When the Pies get beat and the game is tight Leon may bob up with a goal or 2. Leon Davis has been pumped up by blokes like BT on MMM and the fact that he plays for Collingwood and is Indigenous. If we are going to use the Wallace excuse of Indigenous players take longer to develop and compare Richie to Leon then what excuses to those 2 boys have in comparison to Buddy Cyril Riolo, The Burgoynes, Aaron Davey, Adam Goodes, Andrew McCleod, Graeme Johncock, David Wirrpunda.

All boys made significant impact in their first few years. All boys are Aborigine. All boys were comfortable at this level from the moment they stepped in to this competition. What next we will make a Grand Final some day and Richo fails to trouble the statistician and we'll just console ourselves and say oh well Leon Davis didn't get a touch in his first Grand Final either.

Richie is just not up to it. We are merely perservering with him due to the fact Terry after the 04 draft went on and on publically about how we picked up the best credentialled kids and most wonderful kids who would lead us to glory some day and put the RFC back on the horizon for teams challenging for success. Same with Jordy to drop him would be an admittance of getting it all wrong. With the media sharpening their knives to stick in to Terry would you expect an admittance from him that Tambo has failed to come on or Jordan is no prize catch considering the psychology of what such a move will do.  :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »
Leon Davis was not a top 10 draft pick I don't think MT and personally he is a bit of a passenger. When the Pies get beat and the game is tight Leon may bob up with a goal or 2. Leon Davis has been pumped up by blokes like BT on MMM and the fact that he plays for Collingwood and is Indigenous. If we are going to use the Wallace excuse of Indigenous players take longer to develop and compare Richie to Leon then what excuses to those 2 boys have in comparison to Buddy Cyril Riolo, The Burgoynes, Aaron Davey, Adam Goodes, Andrew McCleod, Graeme Johncock, David Wirrpunda.

All boys made significant impact in their first few years. All boys are Aborigine. All boys were comfortable at this level from the moment they stepped in to this competition. What next we will make a Grand Final some day and Richo fails to trouble the statistician and we'll just console ourselves and say oh well Leon Davis didn't get a touch in his first Grand Final either.

Richie is just not up to it. We are merely perservering with him due to the fact Terry after the 04 draft went on and on publically about how we picked up the best credentialled kids and most wonderful kids who would lead us to glory some day and put the RFC back on the horizon for teams challenging for success. Same with Jordy to drop him would be an admittance of getting it all wrong. With the media sharpening their knives to stick in to Terry would you expect an admittance from him that Tambo has failed to come on or Jordan is no prize catch considering the psychology of what such a move will do.  :thumbsup

100% correct.
tambling, although 21 for me will never be a consistent performer, he doesn't seem up to it.
really apart from one game against the eagles has shown nothing to suggest he will break the game again.

i really believe the cotch  in 4 games has shown more than tambling has in 4 years and yes HT 74 you are right in saying TW would never admit he got any recruiting decision wrong..could you imagine the uproar and thats why TW is for himself and Jordy will not get dropped this year.

You can all believe its not TW's fault this that but we are worse than where we started.
no forward line structure, no real game breakers. nothing. might as well start again IMO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

Great.  ;)

READ MY POST IMBECILE. I didnt say that. At the time Travis was a standout .

You said

Travis Cloke, was easily the best player in the draft.

Buddy was in the same draft,

So whay you are saying is that you rated Travis Cloke  above buddy

No wonder you and becky got the ar@e  ;)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

You can all believe its not TW's fault this that but we are worse than where we started.
no forward line structure, no real game breakers. nothing. might as well start again IMO.

Daniel, you can't seriously believe that. Worse than 2004 you think?

During the 'Slag Year' of 2004, we finished bottom of the ladder with an aging list!

We had no potential for improvement and no prospects for every making an attempt on the flag.

With our current list we have promise, hope and developing talent. That is a far cry from what we had before TW came on the scene. We now have a list filled with potential and players such as Cotchin, Lids, Foley, Thursfield and Kingy who are improving every game.

We are working towards something. There is a goal and vision.

Before TW began the rebuild all we had was a very average, aging list which was going no where.

Regardless of what you think of TW, we have improved on 2004.

Stripes

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
blaisee - build a bridge - he must be doing your head in.

"Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time"

I don't think that's such an outrageous comment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »

How can anyone say a club that finished bottom 2 for the past 6 years straight bar one 10th including 3 spoons has a winning culture  ???. The Blues should be finally improving after all the high priority picks they've had but the week before Geelong pumped them by 10 goals and 3 weeks ago they conceded the first 7 goals against Brisbane at the Dome. Let's see how they go in the final 7 rounds when they play 6 of the top 8 sides before believing all the hype.

record number of flags since their introduction and since 1981 has won 2 in that time (1987 and 1995).

how many times have they made the finals since 1983 and how many times have we.

we as a football club have a losing culture you have got to be blind not to see that MT.

2 finals in 25 years that is a LOSING CULTURE my friend
Who cares what they did last century. We had a winning culture once too and both clubs last finals appareance coincides with us beating them. 6 years down in the bottom 2 and the worst record win/loss ratio of any club including us in that time is a losing culture. Hype isn't a winning culture.

Btw how long is our club and its supporters going to harp on about "we've been crap for 25 years". WTF has the current crop of cubs got to do with what crap went before them - that's right NOTHING! How long are we going to continue to wear this self-imposed baggage as a ball and chain. What like over 100 years like St Kilda?! That's why we fail - because we keep telling ourselves we are failures. Any time something doesn't go right quickly enough or we take a backward step, out comes the "we've been crap for 25 years" or "we've been rebuilding for 25 years". It's like driving in the country and having little kids in the back seat yelling continuously "are we there yet?". That is the difference in culture b/w us and other clubs. Other clubs think they're god's gift to footy even when they are crap and don't look back. We still seem to have people who want to wallow in the past.

jackstar

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »
blaisee - build a bridge - he must be doing your head in.

"Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time"

I don't think that's such an outrageous comment.

Thank you mjs.
Blaisee go and admit yourself to a mental hospital, hopefully internet isnt available for patients,