Author Topic: Tigers Draft Picks Down to Final List  (Read 1619 times)

PuntRdRoar

Tigers Draft Picks Down to Final List
« on: August 06, 2004, 01:42:43 PM »
My understanding is that:

Brett Deledio, Lance Franklin, Angus Monfries, Ryan Griffen and Ben Eckermann are the 5 players at the top of Richmonds list. These are the names of the final 5. So can our experts in the room gives us there opinion of where these players lie. I understand of the 5 only Franklin is a key position type whilst the others are midfield types!

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Tigers Draft Picks Down to Final List
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »
From Redford on PRE who studies the U18's quite thoroughly -

Ryan Griffen SA *
Very well skilled player who can kick on both feet. Good pace. Will carry the ball. Good balance and poise. Rarely wastes a possession. Good height makes him very flexible in terms of positions. Copped heavy knock in game 2 and went missing. Good vision. Kicks well to position. Not really an inside player and I question his defensive side and his physicality. But he will go early.

Angus Monfries SA
Outstanding carnival. I like Monfries a lot. Only 180cm and on the slight side, but fantastic courage – particularly at ground level where he puts himself into the play time and time again winning a lot of possessions and free kicks. Copped a lot of knocks and tackles but just kept bouncing back. Keeps his feet all the time – a sign of a good player. On top of his inside ball winning capacity, he is a great runner outside as well, with immaculate kicking skills. Rarely wastes a possession. Beautiful poise and balance. Uses his voice and leads his team mates. Sat next to a guy who had a son in the SA team and he rated him as SA’s best player and an outstanding kid with a huge heart to match his ability. As I say, he is slight of frame but if a club is prepared to give him a couple of years to fill out, there is every chance he could be a Simon Black type for someone. I rate him highly.

Ben Eckermann SA *
Excellent carnival. Lot of possessions. Really carries the ball very well, running the lines, and sets up plays as a result -  a la Ben Cousins. Good left foot on him but can struggle a bit on his right. Good pace. Well balanced. Hardest runner at carnival. Good evasive skills. Very vocal kid – motivates his team mates. On the small side, he’s not an overtly physical footballer but might develop in that regard as he is a serous kid who will go early. Has the potential to be another Schammer if he works on his physical/defensive side a bit more. Not bad.

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?