Author Topic: Tigers off to Craigieburn  (Read 20795 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Craigieburn RFC facility update with pics
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
another decent drop of rain like we've just had would be the tonic....heres hoping :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »
Looks like they'll have the main oval easily finished by February.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
well I hope they got the decent drop of rain we had in SE overnight...is a bit of a risk putting turf in DEC under normal circumstances...they maybe lucky, laying in cooler times with a bit of rain around ...Looks like coburg may be up for a new gound at some point me thinks :-\

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2008, 01:35:44 PM »
Does anyone know if the club has plans to invest in other businesses in the region ie. a pub with gaming machines?

ramps my old greek friend, stay tuned

It is no secret that the mayor of Hume is a very very committed tiger fan who has understood what an emerging and succesful afl club would do for the fastest growing geographical area in Australia.

The club has every intention of having a revenue stream in the northern suburbs. Things are coming together as per the plan at the moment.  ;)

Can I just say, no poo, Stephen Wright is the best CEO in the AFL bar none.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »
Wow!! More grass than a Bob Marley tribute concert. Its really starting to take shape! I bet that turf company is going to give their staff a nice Christmas bonus! ch-ching!! Are they going to build any stands or seating? Would be pretty difficult to have a closed training session and keep away those pro magpie scum journo's with their telephoto lenses trying to dig up their latest dirt on Cuz with their fictional rants.

Ramps

« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
Does anyone know if the club has plans to invest in other businesses in the region ie. a pub with gaming machines?

It is no secret that the mayor of Hume is a very very committed tiger fan who has understood what an emerging and succesful afl club would do for the fastest growing geographical area in Australia.

The club has every intention of having a revenue stream in the northern suburbs. Things are coming together as per the plan at the moment.  ;)

Thats very good to hear Blaisee, Its good to see everyones on the ball at Punt Rd, I look forward to seeing these plans come to fruition.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
I read somewhere that at the AGM they announced that an intra-club match will be held there.
Seeya boss ! Im going up to Craigeburn !!!  :gotigers
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:23:34 PM by Hes My Hero »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »

here's hoping it ain't another pub coz if I'm any aaccountant, which I aint it looks like we've declared a loss(in the current liabilities) of 180k a year until the lease expires in 2018 at wantirna club...I will say thought steve wright is a gem of a CEO and it wasnt he that est WC :banghead

Ramps

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
The Wantirna Club has been a problem imho for a long time, its not a traditional pub. Its disappointing that we have taken a big charge on it. Lets hope the same mistake isnt made at Craigieburn- that is moving away from a traditional pub/tab arrangement, I never understood why the club got itself into a venture where this was built for the purpose, there were plenty of hotels in the SE suburbs that could have been acquired, that were traditional in their nature and profitable as well.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
here's hoping it ain't another pub coz if I'm any aaccountant, which I aint it looks like we've declared a loss(in the current liabilities) of 180k a year until the lease expires in 2018 at wantirna club...I will say thought steve wright is a gem of a CEO and it wasnt he that est WC :banghead

They were actually asked about the WC "write down" at the AGM. Now I am an accountant (dont' hold that against me  ;D) and this is really hard one to explain as impairment writedowns are complex.

Impairment writedown are required under international accounting standards which Aust companies are legally required to follow.

But put simply the RFC like any business are required to review certain assets (leases) during the year and make an assumption of their value going forward. In the case of the WC the assessment they had to make was what are the likely losses against the value of the remainder of the lease contract (rental losses -v- estimated revenues). Under the standard in question you have value it for the entire remaing term of the lease not just for one year. The debit side must take directly to the P&L with the "provision" sitting in the liabilities.

It will have to be reviewed again in 2009. However, it is deemed as a provision so if things change then any favourable impairment can be written back as Profit to the P&L.

This is very similar with what Brisbane had to do with the valuing of thier share portfolio and having to write off $2 mil odd. Sadly any writedowns must go to the P&L

If you get a copy of the full financial report then it is all in there :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
The Wantirna Club has been a problem imho for a long time, its not a traditional pub. Its disappointing that we have taken a big charge on it. Lets hope the same mistake isnt made at Craigieburn- that is moving away from a traditional pub/tab arrangement, I never understood why the club got itself into a venture where this was built for the purpose, there were plenty of hotels in the SE suburbs that could have been acquired, that were traditional in their nature and profitable as well.

well said ramps,that said , the deals on pubs are probably much better in relative terms right now than back then..post smoking bans et al...I wonder if clubs would be hot to trot into this game in light of a few having there fingers burnt, I could think of less risky retail ventures that could fire and produce good earnings, especially with the help of RFC in providing valuable exposure :-\

Ramps

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
My biggest problem with the WC was that I never understood why they built it from scratch, it was unnecessary, I remember having a conversation with the then GM of our club, about another matter, there were reports that the club had been approached by a NSL club to form a soccer venture, that club wasnt Sth Melb by the way, I rang the club and stated my major concerns about a soccer venture with that club, I was asked to go down to the club and explain further- fortunately we never did it, another club did it, and lost heaps ... anyway, the discussion for some reason moved onto the impact of soccer games for social club at Punt Rd and then the WC also raised and I was amazed when I was told the club had the venue developed on a lease arrangement. There was no need for it.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
My biggest problem with the WC was that I never understood why they built it from scratch, it was unnecessary, I remember having a conversation with the then GM of our club, about another matter, there were reports that the club had been approached by a NSL club to form a soccer venture, that club wasnt Sth Melb by the way, I rang the club and stated my major concerns about a soccer venture with that club, I was asked to go down to the club and explain further- fortunately we never did it, another club did it, and lost heaps ... anyway, the discussion for some reason moved onto the impact of soccer games for social club at Punt Rd and then the WC also raised and I was amazed when I was told the club had the venue developed on a lease arrangement. There was no need for it.

I don't necessarily believe that it couldn't be successful, they just pitched it totally wrong...rather than a fancy Bar/bistro they should have marketed it like a leagues club IE Great value...Carvery roasts...Happy Hours etc  that has much broader appeal than those fancy dans that if they wanted a feed would go to a restaurant in any case...Now I think of it, I'll email steve wright ::)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
Craigieburn Opening
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
I hope the club puts some serious thought into the craigieburn opening, we could be on a REAL winner out there in pushing the yellow & black cause amongst the locals....I'd like to see local media saturation of a training run starring Richo, Browny, Lids etal ...and wait for it...Cuzzz...a yellow and Black hot air balloon hovering above the track...marching girls and a 21 gun salute as the tigers make their appearance...Bugger Tasmania , this it, one of the highest growth corridors in the country...Let's do it :gotigers

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Craigieburn Opening
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2008, 12:43:07 PM »
Your are basically spot on. We have the stars. ( Richo, Cuz, Brown, Lids) Let's use them. In this day and age kids respond to names they know, pictures they see in media....in short to stars.