Author Topic: Tigers off to Craigieburn  (Read 21864 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Coburg Tigers move angers council (Moreland Leader)
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:44 AM »
Coburg Tiger move angers council
Moreland Leader
Simon Craig
19May08

MORELAND Council is fuming over cash it spent backing VFL club the Coburg Tigers.

As Coburg's relocation to Craigieburn becomes all but a formality, Moreland councillor John Kavanagh lamented the tens of thousands of dollars spent in recent years trying to placate the Richmond feeder club.

Sport Minister James Merlino all but confirmed the move, reported in the Leader in January, during a visit to Craigieburn last week to announce the $2.5 million State Government contribution to the football training centre.

Mr Merlino said the facility will "bring VFL and perhaps even AFL football to the area, with the Coburg Tigers slated to train and play matches at the new oval".

"This funding will help to support the future of the VFL competition and reaffirm our reputation as the premier state football competition," Mr Merlino said. Cr Kavanagh said Moreland Council had "done everything possible to keep the Tigers in Coburg". It has slashed ground-usage charges, contributed $50,000 toward the construction of club offices and allowed the club to rename City Oval as part of its sponsorship deal, Cr Kavanagh said.

Fans will be "devastated" by the move, he said. "When you go along to those matches you see a lot of people that have supported them for years," he said. "The ring of outer metropolitan councils have been awash with money at the expense of the inner-ring councils."

Coburg general manager Ryan O'Connor was again reticent to talk about the move.

"Obviously the players and members heard about it," he said.

The Craigieburn football centre, corner Grand Blvd and Windrock Ave, will include a main oval as big as the MCG's and two additional sports fields, as well as a sports pavilion, grandstand and changerooms.

http://www.morelandleader.com.au/article/2008/05/19/35367_cov_news.html

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers off to Craigieburn
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »
Seems a formality that Coburg will move now, it will be interesting to see how the old Coburg people react.

Maybe if they slowly play games there over the next few years they will try and soften them up.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg Tigers move angers council (Moreland Leader)
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
Coburg Tiger move angers council
Moreland Leader
Simon Craig
19May08

MORELAND Council is fuming over cash it spent backing VFL club the Coburg Tigers.

As Coburg's relocation to Craigieburn becomes all but a formality, Moreland councillor John Kavanagh lamented the tens of thousands of dollars spent in recent years trying to placate the Richmond feeder club.

Lol, big cash for a council over "recent years".  ::)   :lol
EAT EM ALIVE!

richmondrules

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »

lol. I'm sure that nobody else has benefited from that investment either. I'm sure the community has got no benefit from it what so ever. What did they do? Paint the change rooms?

Perhaps if they put in a few million dollars worth of work into the Coburg oval I'm sure it would be far more attractive to stay. Moreland sounds like a crap council.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »

lol. I'm sure that nobody else has benefited from that investment either. I'm sure the community has got no benefit from it what so ever. What did they do? Paint the change rooms?

Perhaps if they put in a few million dollars worth of work into the Coburg oval I'm sure it would be far more attractive to stay. Moreland sounds like a crap council.
Is the grandstand still in a mess since the fire a few years ago? I would've thought that would've been an urgent priority for any decent council to help out Coburg FC.

The State Government has put $2.5m towards the Craigieburn facilities yet $0 towards Coburg City Oval. That says a great deal to me.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »
The bloke they have on SEN's VFL show was hinting Coburg will be playing out at Craigieburn within 2 years as part of the VFL expansion into the outer suburbs. All thanks to the $2.5m from the State Government.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
Hume Leader
Simon Craig
27May08

The Hume council budget ... also includes the council's contribution to the football training centre in Grand Blvd, Craigieburn. The centre will be used as a summer training base by AFL team the Richmond Tigers.

It is also likely to become the home ground of Richmond's VFL feeder team the Coburg Tigers and reigning TAC Cup premier Calder Cannons.

"The council is in a very strong financial position," Hume chief executive Domenic Isola said.

http://www.humeleader.com.au/article/2008/05/27/35917_hov_news.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »
Hope it works for us, as for me  :banghead pain in the rrs getting to Coburg from mooroolbark let alone Craigewoopwoop 60.9 km (about 1 hour 19 mins).

May go to a preseason seniors game, but seconds forget it  :banghead

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
Phil Cleary is obviously not happy with Coburg looking to move to Craigieburn.

He appeared very vocal at the meeting of members last night down at the social club.

Stood up a couple of times and spoke at length and appeared very passionate.

Moi

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »
Wish we had the old reserves back, playing at the G before the game.
Memories  :banghead

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »

He appeared very vocal at the meeting of members last night down at the social club.

Play and train at Punt Rd please.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 08:33:08 PM »
Craigieburn is only 10-15 minutes from me so it will be great. Especially now that my son is really getting into his footy.

AFL are putting in half a mil for the project so they will want some VFL footy to be played there thats for sure.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »

Play and train at Punt Rd please.
Hopefully once the redevelopment is finished we can get a few Coburg curtainraisers back to Punt Rd when we are playing at the 'G.

jackstar

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
I reckon it will bethe end of Coburg, dont blame Phil actually. and what would happen if RFC decides to go alone in the future??

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
Feel for the Coburg diehards but the bottom line is they don't have enough supporters or support.

It's sad when you go to grounds like Coburg you can see and feel what it would of been like in years gone by but alas no more.

It's the ever changing footy landscape