Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239687 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »
Here's the audio of Rance's interview on SEN yesterday ...

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Richmond-defender-Alex-Rance/3976

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #482 on: March 30, 2012, 05:23:09 AM »
Rance was a bright light in a pretty dismal effort from the rest of our backline. He continually got to contests (that last sec. spoil on the wing a highlight) and got plenty of the ball and rebounded well (IIRC he only made one noticeable clanger). One Tiger who can hold his head up high for mine.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #483 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
Rance was a bright light in a pretty dismal effort from the rest of our backline. He continually got to contests (that last sec. spoil on the wing a highlight) and got plenty of the ball and rebounded well (IIRC he only made one noticeable clanger). One Tiger who can hold his head up high for mine.

:clapping

As I said somewhere else the rest of the back 6 with the exception of Morris & Ellis who I'll cut some slack being a first gamer were pathetic.....
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #484 on: March 30, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
Good game by Alex.he had a dip
As for J.Post.cant play or badly coached.take your pick

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #485 on: March 30, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
Good game by Alex.he had a dip
Post can't play he has no idea. Doesn't read the play at all. Can't kick. Looks scared.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #486 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »

Pulling out of contest, refusing to chase, dropping your head when you drop a mark and thereby not putting in 2nd or 3rd efforts has got absolutely nothing to do with how you are coached. They are personal traits IMHO

Post can't play he has no idea. Doesn't read the play at all. Can't kick. Looks scared.

Not sure he can't play but certainly agree with your 2 other points and if that is how you "play" then I suppose you "can't" play as in you shouldn't be selected and therefore can't play seniors next week
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: March 30, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
very impressed with Alex again stood up i felt.

Postie meh list clogger.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Rance our best defender by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Post hurt us bad last night. Needs to be dropped for next week, needs to be dropped full stop on efforts like that. I don't think he will make it if he shows crap like that after 4 years in the system.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #489 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »
Rance was excellent last night. Will be recognised as one of the best full backs in the league by the end of the season but he was a lone hand in terms of our tall defenders. Post will be good but his confidence was/is fragile. I saw him on two occasions hesitated kicking it to a free teammate in the Defensive 50 and instead kick the safe option up the line. You could almost feel the fear in his actions. He was over wealmed by the pressure of the occasion. Grimes also looked out of his league last night.

dwaino

« Reply #490 on: April 04, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
Rance was named in the AFlol team of the week

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132214/default.aspx

Alex Rance (Richmond) - The Tigers’ desire to free Rance from too much defensive accountability paid dividends with the talented backman having nine rebound 50s against Carlton and 21 disposals on Thursday night. His 13 contested possessions spoke volumes of his desire for the ball when this highly charged game was at its fiercest.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #491 on: April 04, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
Birchall is the best CHB in the comp...

dwaino

« Reply #492 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
Birchall is the best CHB in the comp...

Forward pockets are equally extraordinary.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
Pendlebury on the bench... :lol

His game was brilliant.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »
Rance grabs his chance
Matt Murnane
The Age
April 6, 2012

RICHMOND full-back Alex Rance says he is ready to become the leader of the Tigers' defensive unit after a year of boxing above his weight against the game's best key forwards.

While captain Chris Newman remains the back-line general, the Tigers will charge Rance, Jayden Post and Dylan Grimes - three emerging defenders with a total of just 77 games between them - with the responsibility of stopping the opposition's best goalkickers.

And there are few greater challenges than the one the trio faces at the MCG tomorrow night, against Collingwood twin towers Travis Cloke and Chris Dawes under the spotlight provided by 70,000 fans.

As the ''senior'' figure out of the three and coming off a breakout season, Rance wants to be the club's go-to man in defence and believes he has done enough work over the pre-season to reach that level soon.

''I just want to be that Mr Reliable that can do the job … that anchor of the back line that's always the first guy selected,'' he said. ''And I don't see it as being too far off. This is the most solid pre-season I've done.

''I know what I've got to do now, so it's just about executing on a regular basis. And I'm confident I can do that now with the fitness base I've got. It was mainly under fatigue that I would make the mistakes.

''I know my worst games improved a lot last year, if that makes sense, and my good games also improved a little bit.''

There was a time when Richmond supporters would have cringed hearing Alex Rance and ''Mr Reliable'' in the same sentence.

Selected with pick 18 in the 2007 draft, the 22-year-old is the first to concede he struggled to make an impact during his first three seasons, partly due to confusion about whether he was a forward, midfielder or defender.

''There was times when I did question whether I would make it,'' he said.

It wasn't until defensive coach Justin Leppitsch came to the club and told him the player he wasn't, that Rance became the player he is now.

He describes the period at the end of 2010 as the turning point of his 45-game career.

''He put me on the right track and said, 'This is the type of player you've got to be'. You've just got to be that competitive beast,'' he said.

That's exactly what Rance morphed into last season, leading the club in spoils and intercept marks, and finishing second in rebound 50s.

He finished sixth in the club's best and fairest.

Rance, the son of former Footscray and West Coast player Murray Rance, is regarded as the strongest player at Punt Road. And there was a strong focus again this pre-season on developing his core strength.

''It's just about using the attributes I have, but also anticipating the play,'' he said.

''I have to use my strength a lot more because I'm only 194 centimetres and I'm going to be playing on blokes a lot bigger than me. I have to anticipate their movements a lot quicker and be a lot more physical in the way I play.''

All this is far from just wishful thinking on Rance's part.

Not only do Leppitsch and coach Damien Hardwick think he is capable of becoming the Tigers' defensive anchor, they are counting on him to do so.

''Rancey is a guy we felt stepped forward enormously last year and we expect him to make the same progression this year,'' Leppitsch said.

It was only one game, but already there are signs this year that Rance could deliver.

When the Tigers' back line came under fire against Carlton last week, Rance stood tall by collecting 21 disposals, 13 contested possessions, 11 intercept possessions and two intercept marks.

He was also one of the few Tigers that kept his composure by foot, with 10 of his 11 kicks hitting the target.

The statistics are significant given intercept possessions and winning contested ball in defensive 50 are two key areas the Tigers worked on over the pre-season.

''We are going to try to capture the ball centre-forward rather than waiting until it gets to defensive 50,'' Rance said.

''But we were also quite poor contested-ball wise in the defensive 50 last year, which is something we've worked on.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rance-grabs-his-chance-20120405-1wflh.html#ixzz1rBXrEK00