Author Topic: David Gourdis [merged]  (Read 16519 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Dave Gourdis - welcome to Punt Rd [confirmed]
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »
to take the conversation on a tangent how good is pearce, a bit subdued this year due to injuries and closer attention but this guy is an awesome talent. His pace, skills, decision making and flair :bow

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dave Gourdis - welcome to Punt Rd
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

Oooh!!!  That's what I like to see.  If only I was 20 years younger :-\

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

Oooh!!!  That's what I like to see.  If only I was 20 years younger :-\

looks like the hulk getting angry :D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
Richmond goes for Gourdis
Tue 11 December, 2007
By Ben Broad
richmondfc.com.au

RICHMOND has added Subiaco youngster David Gourdis to its senior list after selecting him with the first pick in Tuesday’s NAB AFL Pre-season Draft.
Gourdis, 18, missed out at last month’s NAB AFL Draft and had been training with the Tigers since being overlooked.

Richmond director of football Greg Miller said the tall, athletic forward was on the Tigers’ wish list the moment clubs had completed their shopping at the NAB AFL Draft on November 24.

“Francis Jackson, our recruiting guy, the minute the national draft finished he was on the phone to him [David] saying: ‘Look, we’ve got first choice in the pre-season draft, you’re the best player that’s missed out in the national draft, come over and let’s get to know you’,” Miller said.

“He came over, stayed two weeks and he was excellent … everything he did was spot-on.”

Miller said the two weeks Gourdis spent with the club during pre-season training confirmed the Tigers’ decision for their all-important No.1 choice at Tuesday’s draft.

“Any player that misses the national draft has got some deficiencies as a lot of players in the national draft do, but what we do know about him after two weeks is that he’s got superior athleticism, he’s got superior courage,” Miller said.

“Any deficiency in skill, he’s got the right attitude to work on it.

“They’re the three things we had to examine and we saw them first-hand for two weeks.”

Richmond believes Gourdis will develop into a handy key position player in coming years, as he has superb pace for a player of his size (192cm).

Gourdis said he “couldn’t be happier” after his name was the first called on Tuesday morning, and admitted his emotions were very different to those of a few weeks earlier.

“Obviously that was pretty disappointing [to get overlooked at the NAB AFL Draft] but it’s worked out great,” Gourdis said.

“When I got a call from the club, that sort of confirmed that the dream wasn’t over or anything and I got another chance at it and they were interested, and I hopped on [the plane] the next day.

“It’s made it a lot easier as well, knowing a few of the guys, and not being scared about [starting at the club].”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=54190

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
Once he is taught where and when to lead this kid while make a fantastic forward, possibly our future CHF.

At the very least he would be a sensational link up man and give our backmen someone to look for.

Fantastic option for a PSD pick!

Stripes

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
Once he is taught where and when to lead this kid while make a fantastic forward, possibly our future CHF.

At the very least he would be a sensational link up man and give our backmen someone to look for.

Stripes

apparently the club wants to turn him into a key defender, but personally hope he eventually fills the CHF void post Rico, he has the attributes

Ox

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

Oooh!!!  That's what I like to see.  If
only I was 20 years younger :-\
u would still be 20 years older than him  :scream

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

:nope let's not go there ox ;) :lol

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »
Fair go Ox, I'm only a year or 2 older than you.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

Stripes

apparently the club wants to turn him into a key defender, but personally hope he eventually fills the CHF void post Rico, he has the attributes
Agree bluey. Let's not pigeon hole the kid as a key defender before he's played one game. The retirements of Richo and Browny will leave a big hole and there's no obvious successors as yet.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

That's not a very nice thing to say!

Ox

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »
A pic of Gourdis

Sorry Saintly one ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 03:17:30 AM »
Back to the topic folks  ::)

------------------------------
Wooden spooner Richmond used their No.1 pick on David Gourdis, 18, a tall, athletic forward from WAFL club Subiaco.

Gourdis was highly rated in speed and leap at this year's draft camp but was overlooked in last month's national draft because of concerns over his kicking ability.

But Richmond director of football Greg Miller said Gourdis had proved during a fortnight of training with the club he was prepared to work hard on his skills.

"We talked to him about some of his skill deficiencies and he's prepared to work on them, and his attitude's right and he'll get better in those areas," Miller said.

http://news.smh.com.au/bulldogs-hopeful-welsh-can-add-goals/20071211-1gbo.html

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »
A pic of Gourdis

Sorry Saintly one ::)

I thought it was a very quick and witty response.  :rollin I'm sure Julz has a good enough sense of humour to handle a comment like that.

Oops sorry One-eyed, Back to the topic.  8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »
The Club definitely see Gourdis a future key defender going by it's email to members.

--------------------------------------------
DAVID GOURDIS:  Pre-season Draft pick No.1

Recruited from:  Subiaco (WA)
Born: 14/3/89
Height:  192.4cm
Weight:  88.9kg

Strongly built, powerful key-position player with excellent pace and vertical leap.  Showed outstanding athletic
ability at the 2007 Draft Camp, ranking first overall for the 20-metre sprint (2.83 seconds) and in the running vertical jump (101cm).  He also ranked in the top eight percent in the six-by-30-metre repeat sprints.  Represented the triumphant WA team at the AFL under-18 championships this year, kicking three goals in a forward role in the match against SA.  Was a surprise non-selection in the November National Draft after being touted beforehand as a possible top-20 pick.  The Tigers invited him to train with them in the lead-up to the
Pre-season Draft and he made a distinct impression with his athleticism and attitude.  Played mainly as a key forward in junior ranks, but has the necessary attributes to also develop into a key backman.