Author Topic: David Gourdis [merged]  (Read 17705 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Where is David Gourdis?
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
So where is he?

Coburg seniors this year as oppsed to Coburg ressies last year

Has he improved at all?

Yes but still along way off AFL level IMHO. Needs to improve his defensive pressure inside the F50.

Very very quick though

Has he got any chance of playing senior football any time soon?

Nope - not unless we get another long term injury. Although I would think Silvestor is ahead of him in the promotion stakes

Has his kicking improved?

Yes to set shots at goal. Not enough improve in his kicking on the run (again just my opinion)

Does anybody think he could hold down Full Forward down the track?

Possibly. WOuld think he is more of a chance than the bloke most people thought would be our next FF, who is currently running around in the coburg ressies (aka Cleve  ;D :help)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2009, 09:59:14 PM »
Quote from: WilliamPowell link=topic=9071.Does anybody think he could hold down Full Forward down the track?
[/quote

Possibly. WOuld think he is more of a chance than the bloke most people thought would be our next FF, who is currently running around in the coburg ressies (aka Cleve  ;D :help)

is he a good overhead mark, like well above average in that dept...such as JR?...and has he filled out enough  ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gourdis can do at AFL level. He seems to be steadily progressing but inconsistent in a few areas at the moment. It's still only his 2nd year on the list as a project player and he won't get a chance to be elevated unless we get a long term injury. As long as he's pushing for senior selection by the end of next year when his rookie eligibility runs out, then I'll be happy, hopefully he'll be doing that by the end of this year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
Has his kicking improved?

Yes to set shots at goal. Not enough improve in his kicking on the run (again just my opinion)
I agree about his kicking WP. Very suspect especially over 30m+. I'm not sure why some supporters were so excited before the draft. Size and athletic wise he looks promising but his footskills or lack of it is why he was demoted back down to the rookie list. If it doesn't improve it would be surprising to see him still around past 2010.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gourdis can do at AFL level. He seems to be steadily progressing but inconsistent in a few areas at the moment. It's still only his 2nd year on the list as a project player and he won't get a chance to be elevated unless we get a long term injury. As long as he's pushing for senior selection by the end of next year when his rookie eligibility runs out, then I'll be happy, hopefully he'll be doing that by the end of this year.

i wouldn't think he'd have that much time on his hands, to maintain a spot on the list, he would need to present a case in 2H of this year as in claims for a senior game  otherwise it would be outski :-\

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:17 PM »

i wouldn't think he'd have that much time on his hands, to maintain a spot on the list, he would need to present a case in 2H of this year as in claims for a senior game  otherwise it would be outski :-\
He's a rookie and exactly the type of player the rookie list is for. Given he's pretty much cemented his spot at Coburg Seniors after playing most of the year at Coburg Reserves last year and getting a promotion late in the year, he's clearly showing steady improvement. I'd be shocked if he isn't given his two full years on the rookie list, you don't give up on a project player after 2 years when they are improving.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »
you're right solid signs of improvement, that will need to continue to lead toward pressing claims for a senior berth...with any luck that could be quite likely :thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »
I still don't think pushing for a senior berth is a requirement this year, a bonus, but not required. He's already pushed past Hughes. There are plenty who need to get cut this year before we start looking at guys like Gourdis. Development is the priority.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
Rawlings on Gourdis in his EOTT report

"David Gourdis
Failed to have an impact on the game last weekend. He goes for too long without being involved in the contest. Does show promising signs, but needs to do more."

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »

"David Gourdis
Failed to have an impact on the game last weekend. He goes for too long without being involved in the contest. Does show promising signs, but needs to do more."

well, a season worth of that wont save his spot...something to work on

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
I still don't think pushing for a senior berth is a requirement this year, a bonus, but not required. He's already pushed past Hughes. There are plenty who need to get cut this year before we start looking at guys like Gourdis. Development is the priority.
I know Cleve's been playing Coburg 2nds the past couple of weeks but he also has been coming back from injury. Cleve was in front of Goo at the start of the NAB Cup series as he played against Freo where he injured his foot IIRC.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
I think there's more to it than that
He's been playing VFL 2nds too long for it to be a fitness issue

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
Foot/ankle injuries can be buggers for taller players to get over in the short term. Gus struggled last year with his. In any case both Cleve and Goo are playing VFL 2nds tomorrow  :-\.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

well, with 6 in the thirds today and a woeful performance from the burger seniors he'll walk into next weeks side :whistle

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »

"David Gourdis

Thank god Rawlings wont be around to see if Gourdis actually does make it.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.