Author Topic: Rookie #4: Cam Howat  (Read 5879 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rookie #4: Cam Howat
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »
In the RFC email it says Cam is a mature-age rookie. I thought he just qualified as a normal rookie by a month  ???

CAM HOWAT:  Rookie Draft pick No. 47

Recruited from:  Richmond/Box Hill Hawks
Born:  30/1/85
Height:  182cm
Weight:  77kg

Has been retained as a mature-age rookie by the Tigers.  Was promoted to the Club's senior list during the '07 season and went on to play 15 games, to add to the five he managed in late 2006.  The hard-running left-footer was delisted at season's end, but continued to train impressively with the Club and was rewarded with one of the four rookie spots.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »
he is a useless pick lets be honest. barely get a game next year in my book
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »
He won't play any games if he's not promoted.
Seeing you want to be honest, he's not a useless pick. He wouldn't have been taken by the club if he was.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »
At the end of 2004 Cam was a shining light.

I take great heart from the fact that Cam no longer seems good enough for us.

Cam the man was not on the list in 2004.

He is apparently good enough for us, hence he was drafted. Why not take a punt on a highly rated young bloke who got cut like Freo's Dunn instead of a older proven hack?

Strange pick up.

Must have been the end of 2005 then, but I'm not sure that changes my point which is that Cam is now well and truly on the fringe of the team.

I refuse to look negatively at the situation. The football staff had plenty of time to assess the people we had training with us.

I too do not see the long term value in Howat, but I do not begrudge him his spot and I won't call him a hack because I know he will be down at the club training his guts out for the whole of 2008.

Evidence suggests our football staff may disagree with your assessment of Dunn.

If we are to inprove as a organisation in term of on feild success we cannot be redrafting proven fringe players, whom led us to 16th place on the ladder. He reminds me of a young Tivendale. Howat is comming into the 24yoa age group and won't get any better than he is. He is a plodder.

I don't rate Hyde in our best 25. Hyde > Tivendale > Howat.

It's great that Howat tries hard and runs hard at training but at the end of the day that means bugger all. If we are going to reward hard working players then let redraft Tim Flemming.

I fail to understand the reasoning behind Howats drafting. Does he offer superior long term to the Richmond Football club than a 18 year old? ie.

In summary I guess I would have liked a Casserly type to be backed to play Howats postion.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »
his disposal is average at best and has only 1 or 2 good things about his game.
if ur not part of the solution of the tigers making the finals or top 4 then you shouldnt even get a game

richmondrules

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »
I fail to understand the reasoning behind Howats drafting. Does he offer superior long term to the Richmond Football club than a 18 year old?

I can't answer your question. Ring the club is all I can suggest. Perhaps you will be able to find someone who can explain. I'm sure they had their reasons.

I really wasn't trying to add to a debate over whether or not Cam should have been redrafted. I don't really care one way or another. I was just trying to make the point that his standing has decreased which I read as sign that the team is getting better as a whole. 2 years ago he was a favourite this year he's the butt of peoples stupid comments. ie. "he is crap." He was lucky to get re rookied and I have a feeling the club would not have minded him being picked up by someone else.

I see this as a positive indication about the state of our list.

I also have nothing against Cam and see not value in being rude about him (not a comment about you I don't think you were abusive).

T2

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »
its just a step back imo after all the good drafting we did

4th round rookie pick might not mean or cost much but it couldve been used to better value

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »
who is being rude pal. i said he was crap. maybe i could've used a better word. u get the drift.

as said before he is a average fringe player at best and i for one is sick of seeing players like him who "try hard" and yet are pathetic at everything else.
we have soon too many of these players come through the doors at punt road and im over it.

move on

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »
Would RFC fans rather see Danny Meyer or Howat play next season?

Meyer: all the talent in the world but a softy gimp
Howat: tries hard but is a wacko

The differnce is Meyer might be good one day. Howatt wont'.

I relise it was only a 4th round rookie selection - but a rubbish one.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »

The club obviously don't think so.
I'm pretty sure Cam would have actually been our first rookie picked, prior to the Rookie Draft due to him already being on our list. I think it works a bit like the Sydney and Brisbane rookies from NSW and Qld who are taken prior to the draft with late picks.
GM said the club had told Cam they would re-rookie him if he was overlooked by other clubs in the PSD. Good to see loyalty and sticking to a promise are evident at the club.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »

The club obviously don't think so.

The clubs be gash for 25 years.

Don't really have the runs on the board for us to be accpeting their decisions with blind faith.

More so when it comes to cases such as (re)-drafted the like of Cam Howat.

all the best to the lad thou  :cheers

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »
What runs on the board have you got for me to be accepting your decision that it's a rubbish pick?
I'll accept the club's decision, thanks.  :) With blind faith too.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 05:55:18 PM »
What runs on the board have you got for me to be accepting your decision that it's a rubbish pick?

Howats current AFL carrer indicates to me that he will never be a good enough footballer to inprove the Richmond Tigers Football club, in any capacity.

He is too small in hight (small guys need to be class to get games), has a stick-like frame for a 23+yoa, frankly isn't that quick and only looks a good kick on his left because he is 100% one sided player who is at best a C grade winger link man and at best a 16 touch a game, poor manes Patrick Bowden-typ, below average back pocket. (whoms postion would be much better served developing a Connors/Raines/Casserly/Cotchin/Collard type futher - players who have the capacity to be 'good'.)

List wise (the current state our list wise the first and foremost thing should be rebuilding. How the fig is drafting Howat rebuilding?!) Howatt is an old player (a significant part of our list is 22 or younger) who isnt much chop. It is the Hyde, Moore types who should be in question. Frankly both those players show more than Howatt. If we retain Howatt and somehow he makes it as a 5 year player, I see him turning out very similar to Greg Tivendale 2002-2008ish. Clear example of a bloke who looks the good in the VFL but isnt a good enough to be a 25yo aged bloke on a AFL list.

Frankly, is that what we want moving forward? AFL has changed alot. You cant carry blokes who are getting into the midage brack unless they are quite good. The club would rather a developing kid. Howatt isnt going to be in the Newman/McMahon/Pettifer class, who even those 3 have some doubts.

As late a pick it was the rookie draft is littered with decent players that have come off the rookie list. Perhaps we can taken some Irish freak, or yet another project ruckman (Renton or Suvilien) has about as much chance as making it than Putt or Graham.

Wouldn't you rather a crack at finding another Foley or Thursfeild?

It's not a big thing but its symbolic of the club in the last couple decades.

Are you going to fly your plane into the World Trade Center because it will bring you many virigins and will please your God?  :bow

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »
Seems you misunderstood the question, even after you quoted it.  ???

What runs on the board have you got for me to be accepting your decision that it's a rubbish pick? (over the club's decision)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »

Howats current AFL carrer indicates to me that he will never be a good enough footballer to inprove the Richmond Tigers Football club, in any capacity.

He is too small in hight (small guys need to be class to get games), has a stick-like frame for a 23+yoa, frankly isn't that quick and only looks a good kick on his left because he is 100% one sided player who is at best a C grade winger link man and at best a 16 touch a game, poor manes Patrick Bowden-typ, below average back pocket. (whoms postion would be much better served developing a Connors/Raines/Casserly/Cotchin/Collard type futher - players who have the capacity to be 'good'.)

List wise (the current state our list wise the first and foremost thing should be rebuilding. How the fig is drafting Howat rebuilding?!) Howatt is an old player (a significant part of our list is 22 or younger) who isnt much chop. It is the Hyde, Moore types who should be in question. Frankly both those players show more than Howatt. If we retain Howatt and somehow he makes it as a 5 year player, I see him turning out very similar to Greg Tivendale 2002-2008ish. Clear example of a bloke who looks the good in the VFL but isnt a good enough to be a 25yo aged bloke on a AFL list.

Frankly, is that what we want moving forward? AFL has changed alot. You cant carry blokes who are getting into the midage brack unless they are quite good. The club would rather a developing kid. Howatt isnt going to be in the Newman/McMahon/Pettifer class, who even those 3 have some doubts.

As late a pick it was the rookie draft is littered with decent players that have come off the rookie list. Perhaps we can taken some Irish freak, or yet another project ruckman (Renton or Suvilien) has about as much chance as making it than Putt or Graham.

Wouldn't you rather a crack at finding another Foley or Thursfeild?

It's not a big thing but its symbolic of the club in the last couple decades.

Are you going to fly your plane into the World Trade Center because it will bring you many virigins and will please your God?  :bow

i like this reply i really do. couldnt have put it better myself.
howatt is rubbish and will never improve the tigers going forward. i mean seriously arent all u members sick and tired of seeing the same old players get another chance at punt road. he is small, skinny hardly the best skills going around.
why the hell didnt they try someone else for crying out loud. useless pick for me!!!