Author Topic: Rate a player: Mark Merenda  (Read 6810 times)

Little Jackie

Re: Rate a player: Mark Merenda
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »
bit harsh some posters on here

Another gem from you right there Little Jackie  :rollin

I am only harsh on one thing

I know you are ... the entire RFC  :rollin ;) :rollin :jump

:eyebrow

:thumbsup

TOTALLY incorrect

T2

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »
merenda had more heart than chumps like daffy ever did

was one of my fav players growing up early days as a tiger fan, was sad that it ended so very quickly and we didnt get to see more of him

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »
Really only had one good season of football (1996).
The rest was chump change.
He was a bit unlucky with injury sure but he's really overrated by some here.
Unfortunately many of the Tigers over the last 25 years are in the same boat.

Little Jackie

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »
16 votes in a brownlow isnt overrating.
You never lose your ability

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »

For a short period you can certainly play well above your 'true' ability.  It could be influenced by any number of tangible or intangible factors but sports history in general is rife with otherwise average players who have had their 5 minutes in the sun.  Whatever they were, all of Merenda's planets lined up in 1996 and he had a good season.  I am very happy to continue debating his consistency and output over his career as I stand by what I said.  Here are some stats from his career (he was 19 years old in 1994):

Year  Games  Disp  AveDisp  Goals  Tack  Games>10Disp  Games>1Goal
1994     2          3         1.5          1         0              0                          0              Richmond
1995    20       107       5.3          4        16             2                          1              Richmond
1996    22       414      18.8        21       26            18                         3              Richmond
1997    16       188      11.7        18       18             9                          6              Richmond
1998    10       117      11.7        16       16             6                          4              Richmond
1999     3         12         4            2         3              0                          0              Richmond
2000     2         12         6            0         2              0                          0              Richmond
2001    19       221      11.6        21       48            11                         5              West Coast
2002     7         69        9.8          5        12             4                          1              West Coast

From this you can see that his 1996 season stood out head and shoulders above his output from any other season.  Interesting to note his performance in his first year at West Coast after leaving Richmond because of 'terminal' injury problems.  His output went straight back to what it was in his other full seasons except for '96.  For a goal kicking forward/midfielder he didn't get enough of the ball or kick enough goals to be classed as great in any of these roles, again except for '96.  There were heaps of rumours around in 2000 that he was using injury as an excuse to get out of the club and return home.  I don't have any credible information as to the truth or otherwise of this but the figures above paint a damning story.  I agree that injury most likely curtailed his ability and (eventually) career but I don't believe he was as good as many made out.  Flashy and inconsistent.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 05:46:55 PM »

Shane Woewodin board  ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
There were heaps of rumours around in 2000 that he was using injury as an excuse to get out of the club and return home.  I don't have any credible information as to the truth or otherwise of this but the figures above paint a damning story. 
Like a couple of posters here, 2000 was the first year I started using forums like this (the long defunct Roarpower forum) and Merenda was probably the most maligned Tiger at that time because of those rumours about him using his back injury as an excuse to leave and play for the Eagles back in WA. Not too many supporters were sorry to see him go when he was finally traded. West Coast were totally crap in 2001 (the only year we've beaten them at Subi) and that's how they got their hands on Judd. So although Merenda didn't have too bad a first year for the Eagles, it was much easier for him to get a game.   

Little Jackie

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »

Shane Woewodin board  ;)

As I said, you never lose your ability.
Woewodin was an extremely good footballer. gifted actually.
Although you might find he never fitted into a team enviroment. ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »

Shane Woewodin board  ;)

But he will always be remembered as a one year wonder because he never reached to the same heights after 2000 and was exposed as footy got much quicker.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »
b

Shane Woewodin board  ;)

But he will always be remembered as a one year wonder because he never reached to the same heights after 2000 and was exposed as footy got much quicker.

Libber was another one. Probably the WORST PLAYER to win the Brownlow and the game had well and truly passed him by, by the time he used scragging scratching kinghitting behind play squirrel gripping and any other WWF manoeves to keep his opponent to a minimum. Lamentably for him people in general but those connected with this forum and our club will remember him for the round 2 2001 incident with Knighter. For this poster personally I thought his later career was an indictment on the game and his earlier career was just average at best.Just got lucky very early on in his career and lived off the royalties that come with winning the Brownlow especially at a club like Footscray who have had virtually no on field success.

Little Jackie

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Off the field, Libba is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »
bit harsh some posters on here

Another gem from you right there Little Jackie  :rollin

I am only harsh on one thing

I know you are ... the entire RFC  :rollin ;) :rollin :jump

:eyebrow

:thumbsup

TOTALLY incorrect

Smile Jackie - just having some fun ;D

He had 1 good year - got rewarded handsomely for it and failed to delvier anything after it.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
Off the field, Libba is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet

I'm sure he is as are most other blokes who have or are involved in AFL footy Lil' Jackie.
I heard from alot that Spud was a nice bloke as well outside of footy but unfortunantely we are talking about these blokes in a football capacity not from a personal sense.
I am not questioning their social credentialls just trying to give an opinionated responce on someone on their AFL career. I know you are a good person Lil Jackie  :thumbsup

Little Jackie

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Spud, terrific bloke, problem were the people he had around him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »
Spud, terrific bloke, problem were the people he had around him.
He was senior coach. The responsibility rested with him. So having gameplan A and no B, C or D, drafting one KPP in 5 years, missing out on the best young talent trading away good picks topping up with HFF duds even though in 2001 it was our midfield that let us down in the end, etc... was someone else's fault. Sure others at the Club like Brayshaw and Beck were just as hopeless but please our list was a disaster zone by the time Spud was finished it.