Author Topic: Rate a player: Clinton King  (Read 2229 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rate a player: Clinton King
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »
Clinton King

Guernsey No: 21
D.O.B.:  24-03-1978
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 76 kg

RFC Games: 58
RFC Goals: 10

Position: Midfielder, rover

Best returns:

26 disposals vs Ess R22 2001
                   vs Freo R4 2002
25 disposals vs Coll R10 2000
                   vs Syd R12 2001 (1 goal)
                   vs Haw R14 2001
                   vs Ess R2 2002
24 disposals vs Carl R7 2000
                   vs Bris R12 2000

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/C/Clinton_King.html

Recruited from: Collingwood. Trade of Clinton King & pick 7 (Danny Roach) for Steven McKee & pick 3  (Aaron Fiora).
RFC Debut: 2000. Round 1 vs Melbourne
Departed RFC:  End of 2003. Last game - Round 18 vs Fremantle.

Honours: 12 Brownlow votes (7 at RFC)

Little Jackie

Re: Rate a player: Clinton King
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
Was one of the reasons we played finals footy in 2001.
Had serious injury later, ( broken leg ?) never got back to his best after that.
Clever player who was a real ""run and carry -in and under"" player.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
According to stats site King didn't play most of the first half of 2001 after missing the second half of 2000, so was he seriously injured before 2001? I remember us being revaged by injury in 2000 but can't remember King being one of the injured.

King was a good extractor for us in 2001 but his small size (especially against the bigger bodies at the time of Essendon and Brisbane) and dodgy kicking eventually exposed him. He's now most known for being involved in the trade that got us the early pick we used on Fiora.   

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Little Jackie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
He has injury problems early 2003 ?
Also his games of high stats were against Essendon and Brisbane

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
He has injury problems early 2003 ?
Also his games of high stats were against Essendon and Brisbane
Apart from that R22 game, we were smashed out of the centre by both the Bombers and Lions. Those stats don't reflect that but the scoreboard does.

King was unfairly maligned at times by our own supporters but his form and numbers dropped away after about the first 5 rounds of 2002.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
In an era when the benchmarks Nth, Essendon, Brisbane dominated he may have high possession games but it may have been b/c of the high possession game Danny had implemented especially against the better opposition where we could take 10 possessions to get out defensive 50 kicking in from a point. Those figures can be misleading and when our midfield of Knights Campbell Daffy and co where getting sadly beaten and thus a less heavy opponent on King may have been placed well then those figures against the better clubs may be that result. Again misleading.

To me he was handy at best just another light framed kid given a chance at his third club to do a job and help put a piece of chewing gum in the crack of the dam wall. Was not going to lead us to a flag nor be a 200 game player.

I thought his best game which was not mentioned was the Dogs "grudge match" game at the dome in rd 17 2001. King got 5 centre square clearances in the last quarter and helped us get first use of the ball in our reeling in of a 16 point deficit that turned into a 2 pt win.

Little Jackie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
In an era when the benchmarks Nth, Essendon, Brisbane dominated he may have high possession games but it may have been b/c of the high possession game Danny had implemented especially against the better opposition where we could take 10 possessions to get out defensive 50 kicking in from a point.

I watched the first 16 rounds in 2007 and seen at least 10 and over possessions to clear D 50 most weeks. Joel Bowden, high stats, short kicks :banghead

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »
Never really rated him at all. As MT said, he got bumped off the ball too easily and his kicking was deplorable. What good are posessions if you don't do anything with them. Sorry, I was glad when the RFC delisted him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 01:33:52 PM »
Rate a player: Clinton King.....

Hmmm... I didn't and still don't

Next  :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
 :banghead

Little Jackie

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »
When you all have a spare few hours ,sorry days, go and have a look at the 2001 tapes and then you might realise how important King and Sziller were to the tiges.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 07:38:54 PM »
When you all have a spare few hours ,sorry days, go and have a look at the 2001 tapes and then you might realise how important King and Sziller were to the tiges.

Not disputing Sziller's worth but King ... nope  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »
Come on Jackie the guy was wafer thin and crumbled just as easily on most occassions. In 2001 our midfield was our weakest link we had All Australians in Gaspar and Kellaway in the backline talls in Richo and Otto and Otto could also play ruck with Benny Gale. We had no hard nuts who could hold their own in the midfield like a Michael Voss. Campbell was okay Knights was on the wane Broderick was an bit impact player coming off the bench Bowden was more interested in self preservation. Coghlan had not yet established himself. Teams like Brissy and Essendon blew us away in finals not because of our backline but our midfielders. When our third tier players at that time like King at best, could not make much of an impact due to to their small size, their lesser strength and lesser skills compared to third tier players at the time that the two aforementioned clubs had in Barnard,Notting, Copeland, Moorcroft and the like who also had goalkicking abilities then you should not be thinking of without King we would not have made the prelim b/c that's what Spud the Dud thought and look what hapenned, we should look at our two finals losses and think Geez its third tier guys like King who are going to consistently make us fall short time and time again. Like I said King was going to be neither a 200 gamer nor a Premiership player. After all we were his third club. What were we thinking after two previously failed marriages for King. He was merely a piece of chewing gum that barely fitted over the crack in the dam wall at the time. Due to a decision to keep him further the crack developed into a gaping hole and the water is has only now started to stop rising.

Little Jackie

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »
I dont disagree with what you say. All I am saying that he did play some good footy in 2001.
Been watching the tapes, both him and Sziller were good.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »
Yep that PF side was just a Hudson and Houlihan away  :-\

B:   Torney     Gaspar   A.Kellaway
HB: Chaffey    Holland    Fiora
C:  Tivendale  Knights   Hilton
HF:  Bowden    Richo     Cameron
F:    Rogers     Ottens    Broderick     
R:  B.Gale     Campbell    King
Int: Sziller  Hall   Poyas   D.Kellaway   

Zantuck, Daffy and Bourke also played in the 2001 finals series.