Author Topic: Connors and Edwards - The 2008 Version Of Thomas and Pendlebury  (Read 921 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The 2008 Version Of Thomas and Pendlebury
aflinsider.net
January 31st 2008 01:41

Some players have a "sophomore slump" in their second year of AFL, but last season Dale Thomas and Scott Pendlebury were superstars in their second year of AFL.

This post will predict which couple of players at the clubs will explode, in terms of stats and media coverage, in their second year of football, and also shows how the 2006 AFL draft is looking for the teams.

Richmond - Connors and Edwards

These two could make the biggest jump, in going from players who just had a small look at AFL last season to becoming key parts of an improving team in 2008. Add in Riewoldt, and the Tigers have something to look forward to in 2008 as their second year players could be the key to a big jump up the ladder.

Other clubs' duo are at: http://www.aflinsider.net/the-2008-version-of-thomas-and-pendlebury/

richmondrules

Re: Connors and Edwards - The 2008 Version Of Thomas and Pendlebury
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
Nice to see something positive about our young guys from someone other than an RFC staff member or supporter. Is the order the clubs appear in that list significant?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »
I especially like the bit about Gibbs!

I think it's ordered from most likely to most unlikely.

They were a bit hard on David Armitage, unless they know something we don't.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »
Personally, I don't rate Thomas that highly - was watching a replay of our game against the Pies - yes he was flashly in places kicked a couple of nice running goals but when he needed to defend he didn't chase and he pulled out of a couple of contest.

But hey the comparison to Pendlebury - will take that. That kid is special
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »
I don't have high expectations of Connors this year mainly due to him having a interrupted preseason with his foot/ankle. He'll be underdone. Edwards on the other hand is something special and although still slight you can see better definition in his upper body this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:10:02 AM »
I don't have high expectations of Connors this year mainly due to him having a interrupted preseason with his foot/ankle. He'll be underdone. Edwards on the other hand is something special and although still slight you can see better definition in his upper body this year.

Edwards did some really classy things last year and, even though most of his contributions were small cameos, he managed to hold his spot in the senior team for most of the season. I don't think we have all that much to worry about this one.

I think we are pretty right with Connors too if he can build his stamina. As MT said though, the interrupted pre season will do him no favours this year. Only expect to see him play seniors later on in the season. 6 or 7 games would be excellent if he can break into the side.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »
Edwards did some really classy things last year and, even though most of his contributions were small cameos, he managed to hold his spot in the senior team for most of the season. I don't think we have all that much to worry about this one.

Edwards was already too good for Coburg, when he did get dropped he'd play another blinder and have to get promoted. Can't wait to see how he goes this season.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do