Author Topic: Next Richmond coach 'the luckiest' - Frawley  (Read 2899 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Next Richmond coach 'the luckiest' - Frawley
« on: August 06, 2004, 06:50:22 PM »
Next Richmond coach 'the luckiest'
The Age
August 6, 2004 - 5:29PM

Outgoing Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes the man who succeeds him will be the luckiest of the four AFL coaches-in-waiting.

Frawley, who will coach the Tigers for the remaining four games of the season, said the club's playing list and future looked brighter than the other three clubs searching for new coaches - Hawthorn, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs.

Frawley has no say over who the Tigers appoint and is unsure if he'll even sit down with the next coach, but believes some high draft picks on top of a nucleus of Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan, Kane Johnson, Brad Ottens and Matthew Richardson would give someone like Terry Wallace or Rodney Eade plenty to work with in 2005.

"I think our list is very strong," Frawley said.

"We need to improve our depth somewhat, but with a reasonable run with injury..."

Provided the Tigers do not win two of their last four games, they will secure a priority pick at November's national draft.

That means they'll get possibly two top-five choices on top of next season's return of Coughlan, who Frawley described as "the forgotten man".
Advertisement Advertisement

Richmond's 2003 best and fairest winner has not played since round five because of a chronic groin problem but has shown some encouraging form in the VFL recently.

"If you throw him into our midfield it's going to cause a few headaches for opposition," Frawley said of Coughlan.

"We're obviously going to get some picks in the draft and (recruiter) Greg's (Beck) already been able to recruit some real quality people and that's what it's all about - getting the right type of player and the right type of person here."

While Beck's future is uncertain, Frawley praised his work to secure Brown from the Western Bulldogs as well as drafting promising youngsters Daniel Jackson, Brent Hartigan, Alex Gilmour and Andrew Raines.

"They're all quality people and I think if you can keep recruiting the right people with the right set of values, you're going to end up in a real positive state in years to come," Frawley said.

On top of 10 successive losses and a near-impossible challenge of beating high-flying Geelong at the MCG on Sunday, Richmond might also have to stave off a post-season fight over Ottens with Adelaide, which is keen to lure the South Australian home.

The ruck-forward, who is out for the rest of the season with a fractured ankle, is out of contract at the end of the season and could become a major target for the Crows.

Frawley said it would be a shame if Richmond lost Ottens, but indicated the 24-year-old still had a lot to give Richmond after seven seasons.

Frawley said Ottens had been hampered by injury, but said his form could be a "hell of a lot better".

"I think Brad's got plenty to offer, but I also know that he's been here for a number of years too and he's probably got to repay a lot of that faith as well," he said.

"It's always got to be a two-way street in football."

Having ruled himself out of pursuing another coaching job, Frawley kept his cards close to chest regarding his own future.

"I've got a few options but I'd just like to keep those to myself at this stage," he said.

© 2004 AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/06/1091732080953.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Next Richmond coach 'the luckiest' - Frawley
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:20:41 PM »
What the stuff does this guy know, If he had a clue he'd still have a contract and we'd all love him. Someone tell him to shut the stuff up for god sake.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:36:39 PM »
I think Frawley is saying that he aint exactly a hard act to follow...

Ox

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:04:29 PM »
I think he's saying that the list is better than when he got there ::)

Today I feel sorry for the guy.
He's trying to do the right thing by us as a club but he's coming accross as someone who doesn't actually realise the severity of their actions over the last 5 years.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 11:19:19 PM »
Its his own fault. He had a great first two seasons, the way he created one of the best running defences in the land with Chaffey, Cameron, Torney, et al, but his recruitment of "ready-made" players, such as Sziller, Hudson, Houlihan and even upto Fleming, NIchols, Fletcher etc. (basically anyone except Cameron and Stafford) has set the club back 5 years.

I don't think it is that much better than when he got here.... He's replaced duds with duds. Miller is the only one who stopped this idiot recruiting hacks.  Then you look at a player like Ottens, who was looking like one of the best young players around - and see the fragile wreck we have now....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Ottens owes Tigers: Frawley
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »
Speaking of Ottens and Frawley

-----------------------------------------

By Lyall Johnson
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 7, 2004

Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes ruckman Brad Ottens has a debt to repay to the Tigers for looking after him for the past six years, and should think hard before being tempted to return to Adelaide.

Ottens was drafted to Richmond from Glenelg as No. 2 pick overall in the 1997 national draft and made his debut in 1998.

Late this season, Ottens' name has been consistently linked to the Crows, with strong rumours circulating that a deal almost had been secured.

Frawley believed, despite the ruckman struggling for consistency in the past three years (due in part to the prolapsed disc he received last year), that he still had plenty to offer Richmond and should repay some of the Tigers' largesse before moving.

Frawley, who will coach the Tigers for the remaining four games of the season, conceded yesterday that Ottens' form had been restricted by injury.

"Brad's been carrying that injury for most of the year, so we tried to get him through to the end of the year . . he did a manful job the way he was able to put himself out on the park most weeks," Frawley said.

The coach was not revealing yesterday whether he planned to select Ben Marsh in the side for the match against Geelong tomorrow, saying he would wait until a weather forecast closer to the match before making a decision.

The idea would be to go into the match with another running player should the forecast be for wet conditions.

Richmond trained in the rain at the MCG yesterday in the lead-up to the match against the in-form Cats. And despite the two clubs being at opposite ends of the ladder, Frawley said his side's form last week against Collingwood gave reason to hope for a surprise win. "Our performance last week was good for about 80 minutes and we just had some concentration lapses at crucial times. Against Geelong, we have got to be in the game all game to give ourselves a realistic chance," he said.

Nathan Brown, meanwhile, was named in the team after recovering from a corked thigh.

"He's trained really well all week, so all the indicators would suggest that he's right to go. He hasn't done a lot of training, so we'll just monitor him. We'd love to see him down there with Matty (Richardson)," Frawley said.

Youngsters Jay Schulz and Daniel Jackson also return.

Frawley also said whoever succeeded him would be the luckiest of the four AFL coaches-in-waiting. He said the club's playing list and future was brighter than the other three clubs searching for new coaches - Hawthorn, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs.

If the Tigers do not win two of their last four games, they will secure a priority pick at November's national draft.

That means Richmond will get possibly two top-five choices, on top of next season's return of Mark Coughlan, whom Frawley described as "the forgotten man". Richmond's 2003 best and fairest winner has not played since round five because of a chronic groin problem but has shown some encouraging form in the VFL recently.

"If you throw him into our midfield, it's going to cause a few headaches for opposition," Frawley said of Coughlan.

"We're obviously going to get some picks in the draft and (recruiter) Greg's (Beck) already been able to recruit some real quality people."

- with AAP

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/06/1091732091485.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ottens owes Tigers: Frawley
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »
There are so many rumours around this time of year and especially this year for us that it's impossile to believe any of them. Hopefully we can secure our next coach sooner rather than later so we can secure Otto (unless of course he definitely wants to leave). 

"We're obviously going to get some picks in the draft and (recruiter) Greg's (Beck) already been able to recruit some real quality people."

Surely Lyall Johnson has got the wrong Greg there. It has be Greg Miller instead of Greg Beck  :gobdrop otherwise Danny's statement is laughable.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Ottens owes Tigers: Frawley
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 05:59:28 PM »
Speaking of Ottens and Frawley

-----------------------------------------

By Lyall Johnson
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 7, 2004

Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes ruckman Brad Ottens has a debt to repay to the Tigers for looking after him for the past six years, and should think hard before being tempted to return to Adelaide.

Ottens was drafted to Richmond from Glenelg as No. 2 pick overall in the 1997 national draft and made his debut in 1998.

Late this season, Ottens' name has been consistently linked to the Crows, with strong rumours circulating that a deal almost had been secured.

Frawley believed, despite the ruckman struggling for consistency in the past three years (due in part to the prolapsed disc he received last year), that he still had plenty to offer Richmond and should repay some of the Tigers' largesse before moving.

Frawley, who will coach the Tigers for the remaining four games of the season, conceded yesterday that Ottens' form had been restricted by injury.

"Brad's been carrying that injury for most of the year, so we tried to get him through to the end of the year . . he did a manful job the way he was able to put himself out on the park most weeks," Frawley said.

The coach was not revealing yesterday whether he planned to select Ben Marsh in the side for the match against Geelong tomorrow, saying he would wait until a weather forecast closer to the match before making a decision.

The idea would be to go into the match with another running player should the forecast be for wet conditions.

Richmond trained in the rain at the MCG yesterday in the lead-up to the match against the in-form Cats. And despite the two clubs being at opposite ends of the ladder, Frawley said his side's form last week against Collingwood gave reason to hope for a surprise win. "Our performance last week was good for about 80 minutes and we just had some concentration lapses at crucial times. Against Geelong, we have got to be in the game all game to give ourselves a realistic chance," he said.

Nathan Brown, meanwhile, was named in the team after recovering from a corked thigh.

"He's trained really well all week, so all the indicators would suggest that he's right to go. He hasn't done a lot of training, so we'll just monitor him. We'd love to see him down there with Matty (Richardson)," Frawley said.

Youngsters Jay Schulz and Daniel Jackson also return.

Frawley also said whoever succeeded him would be the luckiest of the four AFL coaches-in-waiting. He said the club's playing list and future was brighter than the other three clubs searching for new coaches - Hawthorn, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs.

If the Tigers do not win two of their last four games, they will secure a priority pick at November's national draft.

That means Richmond will get possibly two top-five choices, on top of next season's return of Mark Coughlan, whom Frawley described as "the forgotten man". Richmond's 2003 best and fairest winner has not played since round five because of a chronic groin problem but has shown some encouraging form in the VFL recently.

"If you throw him into our midfield, it's going to cause a few headaches for opposition," Frawley said of Coughlan.

- with AAP

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/06/1091732091485.html?oneclick=true

This article suggests to me that Ottens is strongly leaning towards moving on. This article by Frawley is a public attempt to pressure Ottens into staying by pushing the obligation button. This sort of method is more likely to pee Ottens off rather than get him to yeild. I really wish Frawley would shut up, he has no idea and he is doing and saying things in the name of help but really his articles are going to have more of a detrimental affect than a positive one. It will be good when he is gone.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 03:09:26 AM »
With the coaching appointment now being played out in the media  :-X we as supporters have just got to sit here in limbo and wait for whose it going to be. The sooner we can put this coaching merry-go-round issue to bed the sooner we can deal with other pressing issues such as what's happening with Otto as he's waiting to find out as well.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 03:03:16 PM »
Can this bloke just shut up? stuff he annoys me....he talks absolute crap. I dont feel sorry for him. I just hope he never does anything that is involved with our club again and I hope that the next 4-5 coaches we have are all long-term so we can erase this idiot from our record books.

He has taken us backwards and the fact that he is implying he has helped us makes me want to puke.......I knew he was incapable when your 3rd after Rd16 and then you finished 9th at season end (in 00). Please please end this season.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 02:01:58 PM »
Hmmm seems like Frawleys trying to make the public think he has built a young list up,and the next coach gets to reap the rewards.I dont buy that crap.
We are in this position due to trading for players like Sziller,Hudson,Fletcher,Nicholls ect.
If Beck cant draft us quality, punt him off and get in a smart recruiter who can.

I hope we dont hear Frawley becoming a Robert Walls type "I built this list," guy craving praise in years to come.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Ox

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 03:06:20 PM »
After reading todays papers I can safely say i no longer feel any sympathy for his cause.

I should have known better. :bow

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 06:00:52 PM »

LMFAO@this clown

Only a moron would say that the only thing wrong with the club is the coach, when he is the coach.

The footy show should give him a comedy segment instead of putting his wife on the show