Author Topic: Bowden for captain?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Bowden for captain?
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »
It seems since last night's speech and on top of his "on the couch" interview, Joel has impressed a fair few people with the way he presents himself and the Club. There appears to be a bit of support (on radio at least) for Joel to be made our new captain.

I would still favour Johnson. One of our few consistent senior players. Joel's obviously had a very good year but after being demoted from the leadership group last year it would be a too big a step IMHO to make him captain. Maybe reward him by promoting him to the leadership group and let him concentrate on backing up his form next year.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline shano62

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Bowden for captain?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 11:05:28 AM »
I agree here should be in Leadership group now . well done joel  :cheers

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 12:11:58 PM »
I'd prefer Joel over Johnson for 3 reasons.  (a) He has been around longer, (b) he is the better player (Johnson is a good ordinary player IMO) and (c) he knows how to handle himself in the media and speaks very well.

Joel for Captain.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

froars

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 12:39:13 PM »
Ditto what Harry said

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:58:17 PM »
I would say Bowden is naturally more talented than Johnson but I wouldn't say he's the better player of the two. Johnson has been consistently a good player throughout his career in the heat of the midfield. Joel still needs to show that he has become a consistent performer but backing up 2004 next year whether that is still as a makeshift CHB or elsewhere.

KB had Joel on SEN just before midday. He said he would love to be given the opportunity to be in a leadership role but that decision lies with Wallace.

Once again he talked about being a Richmond person coming from a Richmond family and that "on the couch" interview enabled him to demonstrate that to supporters. He hopes next year that the team plays with more attack and flair and kicks a winning score. Believes we have 14-15 guys who can finish in our B&F top 5 and that we should have broken our losing streak. KB agreed.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 01:24:23 PM »
I would say Bowden is naturally more talented than Johnson but I wouldn't say he's the better player of the two. Johnson has been consistently a good player throughout his career in the heat of the midfield.

Fair point but you need to take into consideration the teams they have both played with and the coaches they have both played under.  If Bowden was in the Adelaide teams during their back to back flag period and beyond, then he would have been a great great player.  Whereas Johnson was the 4-5th string midfielder/tagger in their side and he had immense support from their great midfielders.  No doubt Bowden would have been a gun in that side.  Compare playing alongside players like McLeod, Goodwin, Riccuto, Bickley, Hart, Smart etc. up against playing with the likes of Sziller, King, Biddiscombe, Hilton, Rogers, Kellaway etc.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 02:11:29 PM »
Harry sticking up for Bowden

wow times have changed

LOL
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 03:37:09 PM »
And then from me who always sticks up for Bowden  - Ottens for captain.
Not to keep him, but because he is a player to build the team around and wants to stay a Tiger.

Would be happy if Joel or Johnson got the gig. In fact I'll be happy with whoever the club chooses because they know what that person does in every facet around the place.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 05:04:12 PM »
To be even considering a guy for captain who has gone from being trade/delist material a mere 4 months ago speaks volumes for the total lack of leadership applicants at the RFC. It's a shocking indictment on us that we are in such a position.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 02:19:45 AM »
I would say Bowden is naturally more talented than Johnson but I wouldn't say he's the better player of the two. Johnson has been consistently a good player throughout his career in the heat of the midfield.

Fair point but you need to take into consideration the teams they have both played with and the coaches they have both played under.  If Bowden was in the Adelaide teams during their back to back flag period and beyond, then he would have been a great great player.  Whereas Johnson was the 4-5th string midfielder/tagger in their side and he had immense support from their great midfielders.  No doubt Bowden would have been a gun in that side.  Compare playing alongside players like McLeod, Goodwin, Riccuto, Bickley, Hart, Smart etc. up against playing with the likes of Sziller, King, Biddiscombe, Hilton, Rogers, Kellaway etc.

That's true especially in Joel's case as Blight wouldn't have put up with Bowden's form before this year for as long as Frawley did. However both have had the same working conditions the past 2 years and Johnson has come runners-up in our B&F in both of them as our only consistent midfielder (with both Cogs and Cambo lame) whereas Joel has had only 16 games this year at the level we require from him mopping up and giving us drive off the half back line. I also like the fact that Johnson is a dual premiership player and according to Crows fans played a major role in them plus he isn't part of the same old guard that has been around the RFC for the past 5-6 years. That's not to say that if Joel was made captain I wouldn't think it was a good choice. As John says we're not exactly bursting at the seams with obvious experienced leaders  :-\.

RonBranton

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 10:59:02 AM »
Not to keep him, but because he is a player to build the team around and wants to stay a Tiger.

Unfortunately Ottens said his status at the club was "iffy" - this from the horse's mouth.

Also from Richo - he did not get any response "whatsover" from his open letter to KB (no surprise there)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 12:29:57 PM »

Unfortunately Ottens said his status at the club was "iffy" - this from the horse's mouth.

Also from Richo - he did not get any response "whatsover" from his open letter to KB (no surprise there)

Sounds like Ottens is going.