Author Topic: Greatest of the last 25 years  (Read 2287 times)

Moi

Re: Greatest of the last 25 years
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
Enter John F lol
Regardless of how many B&F Cambo won, Richo's entertained me 10 times more.
So definitely my favourite, followed by Flea and Knights

But winning all those B&Fs has gotta account for something, I guess.  Maybe just a good player in a very bleak era.

ROFLAMOI

Depends what your criteria is really.

Wayne Campbell has been the most consistently good player we've had in the last 25 years, which is why he has so many B&F's.

Dale Weightman was probably only second to Campbell in his consistency, but had much higher highs than Campbell, especially in State of Origin matches, where he was amongst the best almost every time out.

Richo has had higher highs and lower lows than the previous two, but has been fascinating to watch and has won the hearts of most Tiger faithful like no one since Jack Dyer.

Matthew Knights was good over an extended period of time, and was outstanding at the peak of his powers, almost as good as Weightman and maybe a tad better than Campbell, but Weightman and Campbell probably edge him when looking at things over a career scale.

Maurice Rioli was a wizard for a short period of time for us, probably the most skilled in the last 25 years, but didn't have the longevity of the others mentioned above.

Joel Bowden.... just kidding.  :thumbsup
Knew that would sniff you out  :rollin
But honestly, you don't rate Richo at all do you.  I like the little platitudes that should please the masses, like he's up there with Jack lol, but he's done more than be a nice bloke that brings a smile to your face.  Sure, he may be more athlete than footballer, but he's got some pretty good results in the record books that suggest he's probably under-rated by some... err, probably a lot.  If he didn't have those issues with temperament we probably would (and should IMO) rate him higher.

But that's what you get when you ask people's opinions - you get varied responses and none are correct or incorrect - just opinions.

PS:  Glad to see you're still "romancing and stoned" lol re Campbell.  Not even gonna go there  :rollin

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
Knew that would sniff you out  :rollin

I'm THAT predictable.

But honestly, you don't rate Richo at all do you.  I like the little platitudes that should please the masses, like he's up there with Jack lol, but he's done more than be a nice bloke that brings a smile to your face.  Sure, he may be more athlete than footballer, but he's got some pretty good results in the record books that suggest he's probably under-rated by some... err, probably a lot.  If he didn't have those issues with temperament we probably would (and should IMO) rate him higher.

I don't rate him at all? I have him just outside the top 10 at tigerland all time, and he was one of 5 guys I mentioned as being amongst the best in the last 25 years at the club. I'd actually have him 4th. I may underrate him, but not rate him at all? Come now...

But that's what you get when you ask people's opinions - you get varied responses and none are correct or incorrect - just opinions.

Yeah we all have our opinions and most of them are reasonable, or at least arguable.

PS:  Glad to see you're still "romancing and stoned" lol re Campbell.  Not even gonna go there  :rollin

I openly admit I'm a Campbell nuthugger. What else is new?

Moi

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 09:22:25 PM »
I'm THAT predictable.
Pretty much!

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:21 PM »
Flea
Maurice