Author Topic: Wallace wants 24 player teams  (Read 4282 times)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Wallace wants 24 player teams
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
the king of deflection,,,SHEEDY..... was sacked last year

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »
Although it'll probably give quick sides a further advantage which suits Wallace, just leave the game alone and let it evolve. More players will just mean more interchanges even if two are subs as a coach can get 1 or 2 players to burn themselves out for a half and then bring on the fresh player after half-time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
One thing about Wallet that he is good at, DEFLECTION .
He is very aware that the knifes are being sharpened and the best way he knows is to deflect, please Terry ,24 ::) :o :o :o :o :o

jackstar the knives were never blunt, they have just been sitting idle in the drawer. :shh...but TW knows that, just as the people who are ready to start plunging them in know where to find them.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace calls for emergency players (The Age)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »
Wallace calls for emergency players
The Age | April 1, 2008 - 8:43PM

Richmond coach Terry Wallace is formulating a plan for the AFL to return to the ancient 19th and 20th men, with a modern twist.

The Richmond coach is preparing a paper for the AFL that addresses the boom trend of interchange rotations, which aim to keep players fresh during a match.

Several coaches were unhappy during the pre-season when the league, worried about the pace of the game, experimented with restricting the number of interchanges per match.

Wallace is worried that even with four men on the bench, there are often so many rotations in a game that a team cannot keep pace with the opposition if it loses a man through injury.

As he puts it, one injury means a team effectively loses 25 per cent of its rotation ability.

It might still have 18 men on the ground, but it is almost playing one short.

Before unrestricted interchange, the AFL only had the 19th and 20th man on the bench and if they were used, the player who came off could not return to the game.

Wallace wants to retain the current system of four men on the bench during a game and also introduce two emergencies - or the 23rd and 24th men.

If they were used, the players whom they replaced would be on the bench for the remainder of the game.

"If you just had two emergency players, it adds another little bit of intrigue to the game, you can use them in any capacity that you want - if you want to use them early, later, it's up to you how you use them," he said.

"It doesn't necessarily need to be from an injury point of view."

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse, a strong advocate of rotations, praised Wallace for his idea.

"It's got great merit - Terry Wallace is a great thinker in the game, he comes up with some very, very relevant and thoughtful ideas," he said.

"I'd like to think most coaches put the hat on for the competition, as opposed to their own club, and Terry is one of those blokes."

Like Wallace, Malthouse wants the random nature of injuries during a match to have as little impact on the result as possible.

"It would be a shame to see sides trying to struggle through under the present circumstances of interchanges, but lose players and then are totally disadvantaged and they lose the game ... because they just can't go with the opposition," he said.

"I don't know of any team sport - I'm going to be wrong here, for sure - that has a (low) ratio that we've got of players on the bench compared to playing."

Wallace said the game's tactics were in a state of flux, something he is noticing even since this season started.

"It's changed, it's changed very quickly - I've noticed from a coaching point of view, the game has changed in the last fortnight, it's changing that quick," he said.

http://news.theage.com.au/wallace-calls-for-emergency-players/20080401-22yl.html

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »
how funny mick pumping up terrys tyres. :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 03:55:55 AM »
A bit more from Wallace in the Age

----------------------------
Coaches call for big bench
Michael Gleeson and Carley Jellett | April 2, 2008

Wallace yesterday said his proposal for change was borne of a desire to retain fairness in a match so an early injury to one side did not unfairly affect the result.

The AFL average for interchange use was 58 last year but has risen in the first two rounds of this year to 78.

"It has changed very quickly," Wallace said. "I've noticed from a coaching point of view, the game has changed in the last fortnight. It is changing that quick and certainly our rotation ability, I've given away a lot of what I do (as coach)."

The Tiger coach said he had delegated some rotational changes to his assistant and fitness staff.

"Once upon a time the senior coach controlled every interchange that was going on. As a group now I've handed that across to our strength and conditioning department and (assistant coach) Brian Royal to run that aspect of the game so you solely keep your concentration on what's actually happening on the field."

Wallace said the game as a spectacle was better than ever so he could not understand the motivation for capping the interchange.

"My big theory is once upon a time you used to see all the best marks, all the big clashes in the early part of the game because that's when the dynamics were in the game and as players got tired it got more sloppy," he said. "Now it can be the last five minutes of the match and still see that big mark or the big clash because of the blokes being able to play at high velocity for the whole game. So, to me, that is a better product for people to go and watch."

Wallace said he was more concerned not by how many interchanges there were in a game but ensuring there was parity between sides in the numbers.

Full article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/coaches-call-for-big-bench/2008/04/01/1206850911962.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 07:01:20 AM »
i think wallace is onto something here

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 07:17:11 AM »

How about 6 subs and no interchange?

:)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »

It worked for Bruce Monteath lol but you still want the flexibility interchange gives you. Having just subs also means the substitutes miss out on gametime so their fitness level will drop unless subbed early on into a game or dropped to the VFL.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
leave the bloody game alone.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Little Jackie

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
Terry wants to turn the game into basketball, he coaches that way ::)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
lol

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »

It worked for Bruce Monteath lol but you still want the flexibility interchange gives you. Having just subs also means the substitutes miss out on gametime so their fitness level will drop unless subbed early on into a game or dropped to the VFL.

How about 6 subs per quarter with the opportunity to start afresh after each break.

And provision for replacing injuries (off for the rest of the match) as well.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
A bit more from Wallace in the Age

----------------------------
Coaches call for big bench
Michael Gleeson and Carley Jellett | April 2, 2008

"It has changed very quickly," Wallace said. "I've noticed from a coaching point of view, the game has changed in the last fortnight. It is changing that quick and certainly our rotation ability, I've given away a lot of what I do (as coach)."

I wonder what he means by that- I've given away a lot of what I do

Is he saying that he has already given up on some of the plans that he had for the Tigers in 2008 and maybe even '09, because of this 'interchange revolution'

Er, I hope not Terry. Stick to the plan- that is one of the main aspects of this game. (if that's what you're saying)

I wish I could have heard that because that attitude worries me a bit. Yes, you need to change with the times to some extent. But the Sydney flooding game for example, was a fad, it garnered one flag, maybe two, but lets not try to sail everywhich way the wind is blowing Terry  8)
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
Terry wants to turn the game into basketball, he coaches that way ::)
Sheeds has been asking for 6 or more on the bench since the mid 80s. Didn't he as Victorian coach cost the state a win by fiddling with the bench.