Author Topic: Wallace wants 24 player teams  (Read 4280 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace wants 24 player teams
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

How about 6 subs and no interchange?

:)
It worked for Bruce Monteath lol but you still want the flexibility interchange gives you. Having just subs also means the substitutes miss out on gametime so their fitness level will drop unless subbed early on into a game or dropped to the VFL.

How about 6 subs per quarter with the opportunity to start afresh after each break.

And provision for replacing injuries (off for the rest of the match) as well.

Well it's out there 1965  ;). It sure will make footy different to now forcing 18 players to play even a whole quarter at once. 

IMO it wouldn't matter what the AFL decideds to do, coaches will eventually manipulate the bench rules to gain an advantage. I prefer to let the game evolve if there's not a serious problem (rucks doing knees say was a problem needing fixing). At the moment I don't see a problem (apart from us struggling) especially when I see Geelong play. They play awesome footy. Up to the rest of us to catch up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 05:16:55 AM »

It worked for Bruce Monteath lol but you still want the flexibility interchange gives you. Having just subs also means the substitutes miss out on gametime so their fitness level will drop unless subbed early on into a game or dropped to the VFL.

How about 6 subs per quarter with the opportunity to start afresh after each break.

Well it's out there 1965  ;). It sure will make footy different to now forcing 18 players to play even a whole quarter at once. 

IMO it wouldn't matter what the AFL decideds to do, coaches will eventually manipulate the bench rules to gain an advantage. I prefer to let the game evolve if there's not a serious problem (rucks doing knees say was a problem needing fixing). At the moment I don't see a problem (apart from us struggling) especially when I see Geelong play. They play awesome footy. Up to the rest of us to catch up.

There is a problem now (IMHO) when coaches are not actively monitoring the interchanges but leaving the decisions up to the Assistant coaches and fitness staff.

Surely this is a fundamental change to the game that needs to be fixed.

8)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

There is a problem now (IMHO) when coaches are not actively monitoring the interchanges but leaving the decisions up to the Assistant coaches and fitness staff.

Surely this is a fundamental change to the game that needs to be fixed.

8)
Agree it is a fundamental change but I don't have a problem with it as the senior coach delegates other responsibilities to assistant coaches already. A senior coach is becoming more and more a manager of the footy dept.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
I actually like the idea of 4 players on the bench but 2 of them are emergencies rather than 6 and 2 as Terry is suggesting.

Like it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »
Sheedy supports Wallace's plan

--------------
Sheedy wants a bigger bench
9/04/2008 5:00:35 PM
Ronny Lerner
Sportal

Former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy supports Richmond coach Terry Wallace's idea to introduce an expanded interchange bench.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/sheedy-wants-a-bigger-bench-46343

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
Wallace also said in Tuesdays with Terry that he now delegates the interchange changes to an assistant coach. Plough also said he knows he'll cop criticism for coming out with this as coach of the reigning wooden spooners.

Malthouse liked the idea and said Terry is a man of ideas who thinks about the game's best interests. Malthouse also said he'd go one step further and have 6-8 on the bench like in the NAB Cup.

There lies the problem.

Terry is an ideas man.  That's great when you have a list ready to rock.

But right now we need a coach, a plain and simple no stuff about coach.

Terry needs to simplify.
EAT EM ALIVE!