Author Topic: Ben Holland suing RFC and Clinton Casey for half a million  (Read 20513 times)

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Ben Holland suing RFC and Clinton Casey for half a million
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »

I voted against them because I didnt want Miller on the board because he is a dud, was a dud at North and nearly bankrupted them as interim CEO, and as our player development has shown since Miller, we have a crap list.

Only your opinion on Miller rather than fact.  :sleep

I got one piece of good info out of that. I've always wondered who the 199 people that voted for Brian Dungey were. Only 198 more to go.

Wouldnt matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club. You're an apologist no matter how many wooden spoons we rack up.

Close, it was Ranald McDonald and it was the 'New Magpies' in the mid 1980's.  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Investment' deals not smart practice (The Age)
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »
'Investment' deals not smart practice
Thomas Arup | April 6, 2008 | The Age

TOP player manager Dan Richardson would have advised Ben Holland differently if the former Tiger had been his client in the wake of revelations Holland had sued his former club.

Richardson, who works for Elite Sports Properties, tells his clients not to accept any contract offers where investment opportunities are part of a package, he said yesterday.

And AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson told The Sunday Age the league had no objections to investment deals being included in contract negotiations, as long as they were declared within the salary cap.

Holland is suing former Richmond president Clinton Casey and the Richmond Football Club for $530,000 over "investment opportunities" — the amount being the difference between Richmond's three-year offer and one he says was offered by Adelaide.

Richardson said players, like private citizens, should be free to make commercial investments but the practice became a grey area when part of contract negotiations.

"It is not something that I've experienced very often …" he said.

"It is certainly not an area that we would advise players they should go near … As a general rule, players are paid a salary … Why on earth you would accept a lower salary based on the return of an investment somewhere else down the track, I don't know."

According to the writ lodged in the Supreme Court last year, the "opportunities" included the offer to purchase land in a Sandhurst property development before it went on the market, a share portfolio that "was expected to rise in value" but didn't and work as a podiatrist — Holland is a qualified podiatrist — in Casey's aged-care homes.

Holland, now with Melbourne, was quoted in The Australian newspaper on Friday saying he felt a "carrot was dangled" in his face to keep playing at Richmond and he felt cheated by Casey's promises.

"People make promises and representations. I know for a fact I am not the only one out there that it has happened to. I have had calls from other players. Clubs have to be more accountable for what they say to entice players to stay," Holland said.

Anderson said yesterday that an audit of all player investments was underway by AFL investigations manager Ken Wood.

"The main concern is that we have is to ensure players aren't being paid outside the salary cap. The salary cap is fundamental to the evenness of the competition," he said.

"What we want to make sure is that the salary cap is not being defeated by payments which are disguised as investments."

AFL Players Association president Brendon Gale refused to comment on the specifics of the Holland case but said yesterday: "I think it is very important from an administrative point of view, I think it is very important for a club, I think it is very important for players that if promises are made or undertakings are given, whether that is clubs or players or other people, that people and parties are accountable for those."

Expert advice indicates that if there are to be recriminations against Richmond for salary-cap breaches and for Holland to successfully claim the $530,000 sum that he says is owing, he must prove:

■That Casey made promises that the investments would increase in value and help to bridge the difference between the Richmond and Adelaide offers, and

■That the value of the "opportunities" was below normal commercial rates and not declared in the salary cap.

In 2004, Holland and Mark Brayshaw, then Richmond chief executive, met Andrew Demetriou, then AFL football operations manager, to discuss any salary-cap implications of the deal. Holland and Brayshaw told Demetriou they believed the deal did not breach salary-cap regulations and Demetriou believed the matter was closed, he said on radio on Friday.

Later, an investigation by Ken Cross found that the property Casey offered to other Richmond players at the time was sold at market value.

Holland said in a statement on Friday he hoped the claim could be settled through the players' association grievance tribunal. That process would require the voluntary involvement of Casey.

Casey is out of the country and could not be reached for comment.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/investment-deals-not-smart-practice/2008/04/05/1207249552445.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »
Does the financial turnaround of the club since the election come in for your consideration anywhere in your spewing about voting for the current board?

That reminds me of the old doctor joke

"The operation was a success but unfortunately the patient died"

Little Jackie

« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
Does the financial turnaround of the club since the election come in for your consideration anywhere in your spewing about voting for the current board?

That reminds me of the old doctor joke

"The operation was a success but unfortunately the patient died"

Best comment I have read for ages,

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »

I voted against them because I didnt want Miller on the board because he is a dud, was a dud at North and nearly bankrupted them as interim CEO, and as our player development has shown since Miller, we have a crap list.

Only your opinion on Miller rather than fact.  :sleep

I got one piece of good info out of that. I've always wondered who the 199 people that voted for Brian Dungey were. Only 198 more to go.

Wouldnt matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club.

On the contrary, it seems it wouldn't matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club when you'd vote for Brian Dungey over the likes of Rob Dalton and Maurice O'Shannassy with the profile information available at the time. And just because you don't like Greg Miller.

Because Miller was the deciding factor.

When the vote was going against Casey, Miller joined his ticket.

Because Miller doing this got Casey up.

Because Miller joined the Casey ticket because he was given similar "investment" opps to Holland. Torquay is on the public record.

Didnt Casey also give Miller the merchandising deal at RFC? Another side deal between Casey and Miller. How many side deals did these guys have? 

Miller works for himself. I would have voted for you before giving that greedy ___ the keys to the club.

Which is exactly what you did, and which excatly why we are where we are now.

Struggling in Wallace's 4th year as coach with a list that wont ever make it to a final

Little Jackie

« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »
1980 I like your post.
You post is correct.
Miller does own the company that supplies the merchandise for the membership packages.
He was given a similar investment.
Also Boost Juice stores with players as well ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2008, 08:07:02 PM »
Miller does own the company that supplies the merchandise for the membership packages.

First up you out of date in 2008 Jack - they went through a different company this year

2ndly, he doesn't own the company you speak of he has a minor stake in it. All fully declared as per ASIC law in the clubs annual accounts ::) FACT

It is important to get the FACTS right  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Little Jackie

« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

First up you out of date in 2008 Jack - they went through a different company this year

2ndly, he doesn't own the company you speak of he has a minor stake in it. All fully declared as per ASIC law in the clubs annual accounts ::) FACT

Well we are clutching at straws arent we? Obviously somebody "'kicked up"" about he supplying the merchandise for a number of years.
And to be a part or minor stake holder still means he gained profit from this.  FACTS are the he made some sort of profit out of this.
Facts are that if the ""alternative ticket "ever got in, Miller was the first backside out the door.. I wonder why

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
Well we are clutching at straws arent we? Obviously somebody "'kicked up"" about he supplying the merchandise for a number of years.

Facts are Jack if you are going to make sweeping statements claiming they are based on facts - you need to make sure the facts you are quoting are correct. So know I was not clutching at straws I was just stating facts.

How it is obvious that someone "kicked up" about the previous arrangement? Got any fact to back this up or are you just summising?

Facts are that if the ""alternative ticket "ever got in, Miller was the first backside out the door.. I wonder why

Facts are they didn't get in so it is a mute point now some 4 years later.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Little Jackie

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
FACTS are its a conflict of interest anyway.
Dont worry, he wont be there at years end.
Its a joke he is on the board I might add. ::)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2008, 09:39:41 PM »

They went through Miller's company in the year of the election, and that's the relevant year for this discussion.

When Miller was appointed, we all thought it very clever that his income was supplemented by Casey side deals to make up the difference.

Ben Holland style.

The merchandising contract was just one.

Lucky for us because Miller has done such fantastic work in player recruitment and list management. Look how well our list is going.

While we've been waiting for Miller to turn us into the dual premiership North he claims credit for, the Hawks, Dogs, Roos and everyone else bar Carlton has gone years ahead of us.

So maybe the voting choices werent great, but here's how this one turned out. It cabn soon be argued  that we are not better off in wallace's 4th year than we were in Frawleys 4th.

WTF has gone wrong!!!! Who is responsible if its not the Miller elected to the board

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »

Only one thing I disagree with on that - are we ahead of Carlton?

Who do we have to compare with Judd, Stevens, Murphy, Fevola, Gibbs and now Kruezer?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2008, 03:40:36 AM »

Only one thing I disagree with on that - are we ahead of Carlton?

Who do we have to compare with Judd, Stevens, Murphy, Fevola, Gibbs and now Kruezer?

not for long mate they are streets ahead of us.

what about carazzo, thornton, waite. forgot about them have u

miller is a dead man walking. if he doesnt get the chop expect the spoon 2 more yrs in a row
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »
According to FC, Clinton Casey is back in Oz and was quoted tonight as saying he is disappointed with Holland. Holland didn't take up opportunites himself available to him and Casey met with Demetriou and the AFL at the time and all opportunities were at the players own risk and ticked off by the AFL.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
of course he would say that cause he aint going to say he reneged on a promise cause the AFL will have us for breach