Author Topic: GC17, West Sydney - Need to go for top kids in next 2 drafts or we won't get any  (Read 11160 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Maybe it just shows that GC17 & GWS can't happily just poach players for nothing and will need to trade away some of their plethora of draft picks for quality players. That's half the reason they were given these picks to begin with, so that they could trade them for mature players.

Ramps

Maybe it just shows that GC17 & GWS can't happily just poach players for nothing and will need to trade away some of their plethora of draft picks for quality players. That's half the reason they were given these picks to begin with, so that they could trade them for mature players.

As a Richmond supporter we should be more concerned by what its going to cost us to keep Dustin Martin. 800k for a kid is lunacy, if the offer is correct I see us paying 500-600k to keep him and that type of money is crazy for a kid in his first year of footy.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Teams like GWS can't afford to pay $800k per year over the long term. It may be an initial deal to get him to the club, but you can't offer a kid 10% of the salary cap long term.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick

As a Richmond supporter we should be more concerned by what its going to cost us to keep Dustin Martin. 800k for a kid is lunacy, if the offer is correct I see us paying 500-600k to keep him and that type of money is crazy for a kid in his first year of footy.

Completly agree Ramps.

The AFL need to step in. Ive got no problem with NRL players or the elite players earning 1-1.5 mil a year as marquee players that earn there money in terms of short term marketing as well as on field.

800k for a teenager is diabolical. Not cause its our star kid it would be the same if they chased a Naitinui or Kruezar. Everyone loses in the competition. Player worth changes as does salary cap management and future wages. It just becomes chaos.

GWS can throw these figures around and force other clubs to max out there salary caps to match offers. This will leave any club unable to attract players on there own with the lack of remaining salary payments. It will also make it impossible for clubs to upgrade contracts when renewal comes around. Players who weren't approached by GWS will have below average contracts and will want more money to compensate their "new" worth in the improved market of player value that has been ballooned by the new franchises.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
GC17, GWS - This will kill everyone (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:45 AM »
This will kill everyone
Scott Gullan
Herald Sun
June 09, 2010

CHRIS Pelchen uses the analogy of waves through the ocean when explaining the impact the AFL's two new franchises on football.

Talk to AFL recruiters and at some stage they will all use the same word - scary - to describe the talent that will assemble on Gold Coast's list next year.

With the raising of the draft age to 18 last year, Gold Coast was given exclusive access to the 12 best 17-year-old's in the country.

On top of that, in November's national draft they will have nine picks, including the first three, in the top 15.

They also have an extra $1 million in their salary cap to sign 16 uncontracted players and appear to be firming in the chase for Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett, given that he's put off contract talks with Geelong until the end of the season.

Others strongly linked to the new franchise include Port Adelaide's Nathan Krakouer, Western Bulldogs defender Jarrod Harbrow and Hawthorn hard man Campbell Brown.

Throw in the fact that this year's draft is considered one of the strongest in years, particularly the top 20, and it's a Gold Coast bonanza.

And a debacle for struggling Victorian teams.

Richmond has played in only one finals series in 15 years, yet Guy McKenna's team is tipped to be involved in September in its second year.

The re-building at Punt Rd, which started this year under new coach Damien Hardwick, will be badly compromised over the next two years because the Tigers simply won't get their hands on the talent their finishing position once would have afforded them.

Full article at:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/this-will-kill-everyone/story-e6frf9jf-1225877215966

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draft rules will hand new clubs 10 flags
Scott Gullan
Herald Sun
June 09, 2010

GOLD Coast will be a superpower within four years, capable of winning multiple premierships - with or without Gary Ablett.

Rival clubs are bracing themselves as the reality of the extraordinary talent that the AFL's two new franchises, GC17 and the Greater Western Sydney, will have at their disposal starts to emerge.

With the national under-18 championships going on around the country, the draft concessions handed to the start-up teams have come under fire from recruiters who can see what looms large in the near future.

Are the draft concessions fair? Have your say in the comments below.

"I've been trying to tell people for a year that they have been given too much and it's going to kill everyone," Adelaide's national recruiting manager Matt Rendell said yesterday.

"Gold Coast will win its first flag around 2014-2015, and then between them and West Sydney they will win the next 10."

The concessions given to the Gold Coast will ensure it debuts in the AFL next year with a list that includes a staggering 17 players regarded as first-round picks in any draft of recent times.

"It is going to be a superstar team," Rendell said.

"No one is going to be able to compete. My only hope is that it doesn't send clubs to the wall because of it.

"I mean look at Melbourne, they think they are going to win one in three or four years time, but I'm telling you the Gold Coast will race straight past them, they'll give them wind burn.

"It's as scary as hell."

Richmond's general manager of football Craig Cameron, whose club is set to lose the most, agrees.

"It's frightening," he said of the pending arrival of Gold Coast.

"It certainly looks ugly for the rest of us."

Hawthorn's general manager of player personnel and strategy, Chris Pelchen, described the situation as "alarming".

"I believe they (Gold Coast) can contest for a finals position from their second year onwards, simply because of the depth of junior talent they will have," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft-rules-will-hand-new-clubs-10-flags-on-a-plate/story-e6frf9jf-1225877193133

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
An almost word for word reprint of the articles flying around about 20 odd years ago when Sheedy Gore Sheedy went on a crusade proclaiming the end of football as we knew it because of the concessions given to West Coast.  Why do so many people keep getting sucked in to the newest and worst ever 'end of the earth' theories?  Seen dozens in my time and none of them even came close to the alarmist predictions of those with vested interests but they did usually come very close to that predicted by those who sat back and assessed the situation reasonably using the one proven failsafe method of learning - the lessons of history.  Just like it was for the West Coast, just like it will be for the Gold Coast.  But hey, I bet it sold some papers and some numbnuts are considering a switch to soccer as we speak.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
You're right smokey. How about the fears that Victorian teams would never win another flag after Brisbane, Port, Sydney and West Coast won theirs. Victorian sides are dominating again, with only Freo a legitimate challenger.

What Gold Coast would have gotten in other years with their first 9 picks
2001 - (1) Hodge, (2) Ball, (3) Judd, (5) X. Clarke, (7) Hale, (9) Molan, (11) Cole, (13) Dal Santo, (15) Brooks
2002 - Goddard, Wells, Brennan, J. McVeigh, Mackie, McIntosh, Winderlich, Schammer, Smith
2003 - Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, McLean, Tenace, Trotter, Waters, Stanton, Chaplin
2004 - Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Franklin, Lewis, Russell, Thomson, Bate, Dunn
2005 - Murphy, Thomas, Ellis, Pendlebury, Ryder, Clark, Higgins, Hurn, Varcoe
2006 - Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Boak, Selwood, Armitage, Everitt, Riewoldt, O'Keefe
2007 - Kreuzer, Cotchin, Masten, Grant, Palmer, McEvoy, Veszpremi, Ebert, Tarrant
2008 - Watts, Naitanui, Hill, Hurley, Rich, Ziebell, Sidebottom, Lynch, Brown
2009 - Scully, Trengove, Martin, Cunnington, Sheppard, Moore, Gysberts, Talia, Howard

They'll get some guns no doubt, but like every year above, they'll have some misses.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:59:22 PM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
RFC said they won't seek help from the AFL... Should we ? cause it serouisly sounds like were sqrewed for another 10 years :/

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Relax chicken little, we dont need to beg for handouts (or cheat). It's the middle of the road sides that are on the slide that will really struggle
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager

Why do so many people keep getting sucked in to the newest and worst ever 'end of the earth' theories? 

I don't know, maybe you can tell us Smokey, you're a believer in the current mining industry scare campaign!   ::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

Why do so many people keep getting sucked in to the newest and worst ever 'end of the earth' theories? 

I don't know, maybe you can tell us Smokey, you're a believer in the current mining industry scare campaign!   ::)

Not a believer in the scare campaign DC - believer in the impact of a flawed economic decision on the health of our country's economy.  Believed it as soon as I heard it, well before the scare campaign kicked in - if you recall the earlier debate I was against the government spending all of our surplus (plus going into significant debt) in areas with no benefit to our economy.  The proposed mining tax is just the government's reaction to their sudden realization (deeerrrr) that they have blown our money and they know that there is a very strong chance it could get worse before it gets better - but we have nothing left to use, nothing left to fall back on.  And my beliefs are based on my experiences in life - history I call it - nothing to do with what any mining (or government or union for that matter) funded campaign tells me.  I prefer to make my own decisions, even if I know they won't all be correct, they are all mine.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir

Cause we have so many 26-28-30 year old superstars to be spending 800k on?

???